Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing Collar and Necktie Combination

RW Observer

New in Town
The combination of a wing collar and four in hand necktie seemed incredibly popular before the 1920s and was even worn by some traditionalists into the 1960s. Despite such a common look, there is very limited information on it online except for fashion sites describing what a faux pas it is!

I wear this combination quite frequently as daily wear, always with a dark colored three piece suit.

Is there anyone else here who wears this combination? Have you ever seen anyone else wearing it? Who was the last public figure to wear this - I used to think it was Neville Chamberlain but the scientist Louis de Broglie beat him by a long shot, Ólafur Thors who was the Prime Minister of Iceland also wore this look into the early 1960s.

Most people don't bat an eye at the collar style but it's something that interests me.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I think wing collar and long tie actually looks quite good with morning dress, even though the common fashion appeared to move to turn-down collars with morning dress sometime in the 1930s. While I'd probably wear a turn-down and a tie, wing collar and long tie certainly strikes me as far favorable to wearing an ascot.

Wing collar and long tie with anything other than morning dress probably wouldn't be for me, but it's a good look and wholly appropriate informal attire for work - with a charcoal or navy three-piece suit, especially.

There's no denying this is good and classic:

1929wedding.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Parker.JPG
Not a good photo, but this is a frame grab from the movie Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.

Looks like he is wearing a wing collar with the wings folded up.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My preference with either of my two wing collar shirts, is a bow tie. I haven't tied the four hand tie since a schoolteacher demonstrated the Windsor Knot to me.
The wing collar shirts are great for showing off your skill if you can tie a bow tie, and as I can tie a Windsor knot without a mirror, I might just try it with a wing tip.

My preference with either of my two wing collar shirts, is a bow tie. I haven't tied the four hand tie since a schoolteacher demonstrated the Windsor Knot to me.
The wing collar shirts are great for showing off your skill if you can tie a bow tie, and as I can tie a Windsor knot without a mirror, I might just try it with a wing tip.
I like the Windsor knot for spread collar shirts, but with point collars or with button downs the four-in-hand know is my preference.

The combination of a wing collar and four in hand necktie seemed incredibly popular before the 1920s and was even worn by some traditionalists into the 1960s. Despite such a common look, there is very limited information on it online except for fashion sites describing what a faux pas it is!

I wear this combination quite frequently as daily wear, always with a dark colored three piece suit.

Is there anyone else here who wears this combination? Have you ever seen anyone else wearing it? Who was the last public figure to wear this - I used to think it was Neville Chamberlain but the scientist Louis de Broglie beat him by a long shot, Ólafur Thors who was the Prime Minister of Iceland also wore this look into the early 1960s.

Most people don't bat an eye at the collar style but it's something that interests me.
I'm lucky if I wear white tie twice a year and that is the only time I wear a wing collar (with a white Marcella bow tie only). If you're wearing wing collars outside of formal dress this is something that I have never personally seen. I also don't think wing collars look right with black tie. To my eye, despite the historical precedence, wing collars with long ties seem very odd.

All of this is personal taste and I've been known to offend some people's sensibilities with my own variations from the norms. C'est la vie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk