Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winterboots

Coldness is finally there, in Germany.

I still got my old no-name Sympatex-winterboots (brown, matt suede) from 2004 (!). They served me well, every winter and are even not fully worn out! I could simply compensate with damping insoles. But they got their weight of classic winterboots. Not really for longer walkarounds.

And because I'm a fan of the typical lightweight multifunction-boots, since years, I thought: "Why not try their padded winterbrothers?"

So, I bought a pair of these (storebrand), with padding, but without the shock-absorber of their summer/autumn brothers and I can say, they do their job fine, for now.
Lightweight, cozy (synthetic) padding, of course secondary damping insoles, typical comfortable/roomy fit of multifunction-boots, coarser/handier winter-grip sole. Very ok! :)

Now, we will see, if the "modern youngsters" could outrun my great old, classic winterboots. Maybe, the old "classics" will keep their advantages (feel, grip...).

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
T; Congrats on finding winter boots that work for your adventures.

Most of my shoes need to be snow and weather ready. When deep snow, field/wood adventures call I use my Asolo boots. I have low and high top Asolos for the big efforts. High topped Alden/Allen Edmonds suffice for dress/casual. Muck Boots for yard/barn work. Cowboy boots for - cowboy stuff. Ski boots for skiing. Snowboard boots for snowboarding. Motocycling boots. Fly fishing boots. Backpacking boots. Lots of boots. You get the idea. Boots are not boots, IMO.

i-HtNSnTV-M.jpg

I do not, yet, have a pair of vintage leather dress boots. Perhaps, with good fortune I will source a pair.

Enjoy your adventures. Best, Eric -

I took a wonderful walkaround through countryside, this morning and they did such a good job! And I especially felt the big advantage of the low weight of the multifunction-boot type, again. Fantastic, like their summer-brothers. :)

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
My winter boots are Jörn boots, made in Jörn, Västerbotten, northern Sweden by a two- or three-person factory that supplies the Norwegian and Swedish military and outdoor enthusiasts. They are constructed with a 3.5mm closed-cell rubber last, Vibram Izalco soles, and a single layer full-grain leather shaft, similar to US "pac boots," though the bottoms are much more structured than rubber pac boots. The construction makes them exceptionally light and quick to dry, as all insulation (insole, liner sock, thick sock) are removable if they get wet. The facility to dry more quickly is critical in a wet, soggy, cold country like Sweden.

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB