Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Witch Hazel

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Ohhhhhh I discovered the Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and it is a daily (multiple times, actually) ritual for me. I've actually put it in a spray bottle as a refresher along the lines of rose water. I recommend it to NO end.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
My mother has been using witch hazel for years and has gloriously soft skin. Her skin looks like it belongs to a much younger woman. I use Olay anti-aging cream, which several people have also pointed out contains witch hazel. When I'm visiting my mother on occasion, I'll use her witch hazel, but the water where she lives is so hard I can't make an accurate judgment about how well it works with my skin, since it's too busy freaking out over all the minerals in the water.

Red Diabla, the concoction you use on your roller derby gear sounds like it really works - I'll definitely have to try it.

D

Deleted member 12480

just bought some witch hazel from boots (well actually it was witch hazel and teatree - the ONLY stuff i could find) and it stung for a while.

Good or bad?

D

Deleted member 12480

wait no i missed out the vital part,

I put it on my face and it stung my acne*

Xxxx

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
The stinging could be a variety of things, but I'd blame it on the tea tree oil. I personally can't use tea tree oil as it's too harsh for me and leaves my skin bright red and irritated. Depending on how effective it works/how badly it stings, you may want to make the witch hazel & tea tree oil a twice a week thing as opposed to a daily ritual.

D

Deleted member 12480

wow so i checked the label today and the second ingredient is alcohol. greeeaaat. My skin is looking decidedly un-acne-y though :):)!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Weirdly, for the first time since I was a teen I bought a solid 'Witch Stick' last week whilst on my hols.

Wouldn't use it every day but it did the job on the large Zitola that appeared a day before I went to meet my fiance on his return from the Dunkirk march....

:mad:

Worked a treat but it dried my skin out terribly surrounding the pleb.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
I have dry acne-prone skin. What the heck do I use? lol

I've tried a friend's witch hazel before but found it too drying. However I just read one of LD's links which say that most brands of witch hazel toner have isopropyl alcohol in them. That's probably what my skin didn't like, so I'll look for an alcohol-free version and give it a bash.

Hi! I have a similar skin type and I use Neutrogena Deep Clean Clear Cleanser to wash my face. After washing my face, I blot the excess water off with a washcloth and apply Burts Bees Carrot Day Cream. Sometimes I use Thayers Original Witch Hazel on problem spots. I sometimes moisturize with extra-virgin olive oil or almond oil too (sometimes I like to mix things up a little). My usual routine is the Neutrogena/Burts Bees. I'm not sure if this would work for you, but you could try it.[huh]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
HazelSmutCrunch said:
The stinging could be a variety of things, but I'd blame it on the tea tree oil. I personally can't use tea tree oil as it's too harsh for me and leaves my skin bright red and irritated. Depending on how effective it works/how badly it stings, you may want to make the witch hazel & tea tree oil a twice a week thing as opposed to a daily ritual.

I can't use tea tree oil creams on my face, but it is absolutely amazing after shaving my legs.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
My favorite witch hazel toner is from Bath and Body Works' C.O. Bigelow line, their Rose Facial Tonic, which I can't find online, which means they don't make it anymore. Drat. It's combined with rose water, and has no alcohol... guess I'll have to treasure what's left in my last bottle.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
My ladies shave gel contains tea tree and it's lovely! When the air touches it when it's on my skin it feels really cooling. Maybe that's just me though if everyone else finds it makes them hot.

Also back on the subject I was cruelly bitten on the cheek by a mosquito 3 days ago - with a wedding to attend this weekend no less! I was also bitten on the upper arm. I have been applying witch hazel to the bite on my cheek every day, twice a day but not on the one on my arm. Well the bite on my arm is still there and still itchy but not as bad as it was. But the one on my cheek! Totally stopped itching and is just a little red dot now. Which hopefully will be gone by this Saturday. Or if not it will be much easier to cover with make up.

Witch hazel is a winner!!:D

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Annie

The pure distilled witchhazel in boots is usually kept in the first aid section, the stuff in the skincare section always has added stuff in it. I'd try the first aid section next time, by the plasters and things and hopefully you might find some without alcahol.

T

theshame

New in Town
Witch hazel has always been my moms cure all, growing up I thought it was weird when people didn't know what it was. I haven't used it in a long time but will start again soon.

melanie

One of the Regulars
This may sound strange :)

I was just wondering if any of you girls know if I can use rose water, which is used for culinary purposes, on my face as a toner?

I have a bottle which I bought from a health food shop, to put in cakes ect, but since all that is in it is water and roses, I wonder if I can use this on my face?

product_40.jpg

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Yep. Rose water was used as a facial tonic for years, and my very most favorite-est toner ever is just rose water and witch hazel. Smells lovely :) Though I would suspect the rose water available for cooking is of better quality than that intended for the skin.

Also, if you ever get the rare opportunity to try candied rose petals, I highly recommend it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto