Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Witch Hazel

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
On the subject of toners I thought I'd mention rose water. I bought the boots traditional rosewater & glycerine with the boots traditional cold cream cleanser (which I'm not fussed on but i'll use up). The rose water & Glycerine was sticky and left my skin tacky and greasy feeling. I think that might be the Glycerine. Sticking to Witch hazel from now on.

Additionally I now realise that although I'm a retrophile, it's the vampy incence fragrances that I prefer and full -on lady-like florals like rose and lavender are not for me. I put this in an atomiser to use up as room scent as i hate to waste a product. I've got a whole tins of Rose & Co Rose balm and vaseline rose balm at home plus some other rose scented stuff...:( maybe I'll put it on my feet.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Tishkaminx said:
On the subject of toners I thought I'd mention rose water. I bought the boots traditional rosewater & glycerine with the boots traditional cold cream cleanser (which I'm not fussed on but i'll use up). The rose water & Glycerine was sticky and left my skin tacky and greasy feeling. I think that might be the Glycerine. Sticking to Witch hazel from now on.

Additionally I now realise that although I'm a retrophile, it's the vampy incence fragrances that I prefer and full -on lady-like florals like rose and lavender are not for me. I put this in an atomiser to use up as room scent as i hate to waste a product. I've got a whole tins of Rose & Co Rose balm and vaseline rose balm at home plus some other rose scented stuff...:( maybe I'll put it on my feet.

The Boots Rosewater & Glycerine had the same effect on me; in fact, it felt like my skin was desiccating, not hydrating. I think it is the glycerine that does that. Shame - love the packaging.

I'm going to order some of the Theyer's peach for my mom to bring over when she visits - it's not readily available over here.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
If I buy a bottle of distilled Witch Hazel for a toner, should I dilute it with water? If so, how much? I have very oily skin, and I was wondering if using a toner meant for oily skin is just counter-productive, drying my skin out too much?

On that topic, do you think using rosewater might be better? Even though it's probably more moisturising it can't cause spots, can it?

Julius8122

New in Town
No! Don't dilute! Use it pure and then follow with rosewater. Or, if you can't stand the smell of the witch hazel, dilute it with the rosewater. Make sure neither contain alcohol.

I personally use the witch hazel and rosewater combo twice a day. If I'm really oily I use the straight witch hazel followed by the mixture. My skin is flawless now. It will take a few weeks to start working and you may get oilyer and break out while it decongests your skin. Trust me when I say that on the long run it is worth the slight inconvenience of bad skin for a month or so.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
If I buy a bottle of distilled Witch Hazel for a toner, should I dilute it with water? If so, how much? I have very oily skin, and I was wondering if using a toner meant for oily skin is just counter-productive, drying my skin out too much?

On that topic, do you think using rosewater might be better? Even though it's probably more moisturising it can't cause spots, can it?

I have very oily skin and use witch hazel straight out of the bottle; no dilution needed.

RD

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Inky,
Ooooh, the lilac one. Where do you buy this brand?

Oops, I see now, since I've calmed down a bit, that you buy it in a Whole Foods type of place.

LandGirl1980

New in Town
I use distilled witch hazel as a toner, straight out of the bottle and I have a tube of Witch hazel gel on me at all times for those "hang on - that was NOT there this morning!" spots that appear when you check you lipstick after lunch. Kicks them into touch.:eusa_clap

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
WITCH HAZEL HELP WANTED!
95px-Boots_Distilled_Witch_Hazel.jpeg

Would it be possible for one of you U.K. girls to do me a huge favor? One of my favorite beauty products ever is Boots witch hazel. Alas, they don't have it in Sweden, and Boots online shop won't ship here. I'd be beyond grateful and could send you some exclusive Swedish products. I have paypal, so if you do too it should be super easy. I have acne dues to mean genes and hormones, and lately the latter have gone wild!
This is what I need (no alcohol, glycerin, or other stuff I avoid):
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Distilled-Witch-Hazel-B-P-C-200ml_2245/
I'd also like thie wand: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Tea-Tree-and-Witch-Hazel-Spot-Wand_8289/
and the gel:
Please PM me or answer here. Thanks!

Last edited:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
*Bump*
WITCH HAZEL HELP WANTED!

Would it be possible for one of you U.K. girls to do me a huge favor? One of my favorite beauty products ever is Boots witch hazel. Alas, they don't have it in Sweden, and Boots online shop won't ship here. I'd be beyond grateful and could send you some exclusive Swedish products. I have paypal, so if you do too it should be super easy. I have acne dues to mean genes and hormones, and lately the latter have gone wild!
I'd also like thie wand: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Tea-Tree-and-Witch-Hazel-Spot-Wand_8289/
and the gel:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
*Bump*
WITCH HAZEL HELP WANTED!

and the gel:

zombiecakes

New in Town
I have some witch hazel but I've never thought of using it as a toner! My skin is such a mess at the moment so definitely need a routine change. Do you ladies use a moisturiser after the witch hazel? (I'm not sure my skin could go without moisturisation)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
^Yes! Cleanse your skin with something gentle (I use cold cream), then tone with witch hazel (rose water is nice too, but doesn't calm acne like witch hazel does), then moisturise (I use rose hip oil, but just use your favorite). Stay clear of toners with alcohol, they're not good for any skin type (unless applied with a q-tip on one particular zit).

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hey there Zombiecakes - welcome.

Great advice from Miss Cherrylips - my routine is pretty much the same, although i don't always use witch hazel to tone, mostly cold water, but i do not have great skin and i find if i do get spots it does work a treat. Bio-oil is a great night-time moisturiser, great if you have blemish prone skin or uneven skin tone. If i fall asleep and forget to apply it (i usually massage it in, with one hand while i'm reading), i can really notice the difference in the morning. My skin doesn't look half as great.

zombiecakes

New in Town
Thank you, I've been lurking for a while :)

Also thanks for the advice <3
I have cold cream i've also not used for a while, so will be giving it a go, and NOT keeping going to bed with my make-up on :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana