Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Wives with Beehives" coming to TLC

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I happen to know that some of the "cast" are very dissatisfied with this whole business. They thought they were taking part in a documentary series feature people into kitschy mid-century things; what they got was a highly edited, "soft-scripted" reality show that aims to be Real Housewives of Suburbia: Poodle Skirt Edition . . .

rue

I happen to know that some of the "cast" are very dissatisfied with this whole business. They thought they were taking part in a documentary series feature people into kitschy mid-century things; what they got was a highly edited, "soft-scripted" reality show that aims to be Real Housewives of Suburbia: Poodle Skirt Edition . . .

Apparently they didn't hear about what happened to the ladies on "Time Warp Wives".

Watching this on TLC right now. All's I can say is if folks watch this and think this is how everyone in the vintage community is, it's not good for us lol. These people are just irritating. Guess it goes to show that even in a tight knit group like us here, there's people you'll like and dislike.

I'm sure a lot of it's staged though, so trying to take it all with a grain of salt.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Each on their own seem like very lovely women, and one of them has a cool singing voice. But heap it all together in a reality show and it's coming across as a cliched ad for everything retro. The What Katie Did visit - bullet bras and corsets, pin-ups, starburst clocks, cat-eye sunglasses... I feel like I'm looking at a Stop Staring ad come to life.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Typical dramatized and contrived "reality" show drek.
So when exactly did T.he L.earning C.hannel become T.he L.oser C.hannel?
Was it sometime around 2000 or so?
I don't really follow TV as I truly believe it's an evil tool of The Military/Entertainment Complex and is directly responsible for the deplorable condition known as the Dumbing Down of America Syndrome.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only way an honest documentary on so-called "vintage people" will ever be done is if we ourselves produce it. Moderns don't get it, don't *want* to get it, and in a way seem to feel threatened by it, so they go out of their way to make anyone who doesn't think the 21st Century is the apotheosis of human civilization look crazy or pathetically shallow. Until so-called "vintage people" present a united front and stop cooperating with these yahoos, this sort of thing will just keep on happening.

A final word borne of experience: never think you can beat someone who controls the final edit.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Of course, and I am sure you know I was just joking!

LizzieMaine's comment is the only way we'd ever see a sincere portrait of the vintage community. I still cannot fathom why anyone would participate in a reality t.v. sponsored event. It's bound to be half-scripted (I'm being generous here..) and edited to make the participants look like caricatures.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Apparently they didn't hear about what happened to the ladies on "Time Warp Wives".

Apparently they've never seen a show on TLC...

The show was produced by an independent production company, not TLC itself. My impression is the folks who agreed to be on the show had no idea what they were in for. When they started to see the early TLC promo material, they realized all things were not copacetic in Retroville . . .

LizzieMaine's comment is the only way we'd ever see a sincere portrait of the vintage community. I still cannot fathom why anyone would participate in a reality t.v. sponsored event. It's bound to be half-scripted (I'm being generous here..) and edited to make the participants look like caricatures.

The answer is naïveté.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why doesn't someone do a show on "1940's-type Women Who Take Your Patronizing Crap And Jam It Right Down Your Throat." I think there's probably a few of us here who'd be up for that.

I'd love to see a show that compared living vintage today to how they lived during the 1940s. With tidbits of information like pop up video. I'd watch that.

What also kills me about the 50s fascination is that there seems to be a notion that all girls looked like 'pin-ups'. As if that was the only 50s style. It isnt. Its a retro style.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The whole idea that there has to be "a villian" is bad enough, but isn't it interesting how this show goes out of its way to manipulate its imagery in order to reinforce the worst kinds of stereotypes of women -- that no matter what the facade, deep down we're just a bunch of bitchy, catty, shallow, acquisitive opportunists -- in a way that's far more offensive than anything you'd find in "the real fifties." We've Come So Far.

Feraud

Bartender
. . . and for those who care, here is Dollie's account of the whole debacle.
Thanks for posting that. Television producers seem to have replaced lawyers as the lowest form of social degenerate. Present company excluded of course..

Geez. That's slimy even by reality-television standards. But if her story keeps even one person from ever even considering cooperating with such a show in the future, her experience won't be in vain.
I've read many similar television experiences. When my son expressed an interest in participating in American Idol I supported him until I read the release papers every applicant must sign. There was no way in hell I'd let my son participate in a legal contract that(paraphrasing here..), "forever relinquishes your image and performance, to be used in any way the producers see fit, even in a negative way, in any medium known and unknown, throughout the universe, to American Idol, or whatever company owns AI in the future..."
I still have those ridiculous release papers as a reminder of how the entertainment business is little better than prostitution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto