Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women in Uniform

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Alright, I poured through the search feature - and did find one for military lounge members, and I am curious, are they any others Military women in the lounge -or am I the only one? Or other women in uniform? Police? Fire? Other uniforms?

If so, (I hope!), I was wondering how you enjoy vintage clothes and be in uniform most of the time. I wear CADPAT to work, and keep it strictly military. Do any of you have Civi Dress Days? If so, what do you wear?

I'm a student, too, and take out my vintage love at the University to compensate but this seems to bring up an odd boundary in my life, if I bump into a co-worker when I am in my vintage, they are very surprised, and if I bump into a peer in my uniform (or when I wore my uniform to my afternoon class - that was right after the Remebrance Day parade) they do an about turn!

Anyone else have problems with the Uniformed life conflicting with the Vintage Life?

I have put off having my hair cut into a more vintage friendly shape over the worry that it would be impossible or at least a royal pain to make military friendly for work.

(Please, do move this thread, or merge it with the military lounge members thread, if need be)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
RebeccaDoll said:
Alright, I poured through the search feature - and did find one for military lounge members, and I am curious, are they any others Military women in the lounge -or am I the only one? Or other women in uniform? Police? Fire? Other uniforms?

If so, (I hope!), I was wondering how you enjoy vintage clothes and be in uniform most of the time. I wear CADPAT to work, and keep it strictly military. Do any of you have Civi Dress Days? If so, what do you wear?

I'm a student, too, and take out my vintage love at the University to compensate but this seems to bring up an odd boundary in my life, if I bump into a co-worker when I am in my vintage, they are very surprised, and if I bump into a peer in my uniform (or when I wore my uniform to my afternoon class - that was right after the Remebrance Day parade) they do an about turn!

Anyone else have problems with the Uniformed life conflicting with the Vintage Life?

I have put off having my hair cut into a more vintage friendly shape over the worry that it would be impossible or at least a royal pain to make military friendly for work.

(Please, do move this thread, or merge it with the military lounge members thread, if need be)

I'm not a lady in uniform but my man is. The looks he gets when he runs into his work chums when we are in public are crazy. (he's more of a 50's greaser type then pure vintage) They usually ask what the heck he's wearing!

I've seen a girl with a short bob wearing her beret without her hair up, her hair was a bit messy (but from what i understood...she was a bit tipsy from the night before and was almost late for remembrance day!)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I know Viola was in the military, and Daisy Buchanan was deployed a while ago. She hasn't been active on here since, I don't believe.

The military chicks I know, through my sweetie (who is a soldier), are all very butch and rather masculine. This is not to say that all of them are like that, it's just my experience.

Smuterella

One Too Many
C-dot said:
The military chicks I know, through my sweetie (who is a soldier), are all very butch and rather masculine. This is not to say that all of them are like that, it's just my experience.

oooh!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:

I hope I haven't offended! :( I believe it has a lot to do with the boys - These days, female soldiers aren't treated any differently than male ones, and we know that girls are typically smaller than the boys. To prove that they aren't "little girly girls" (as I've heard them be called, unfortunately) they literally become male equivalents.

That said, many female soldiers I know are high ranking and have huge collections of medals. They are inspiring for sure, and prove that physical differences between genders do not equal limitations.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
So there are others! Well good.

I'm Air Force - not Army, - but I do like to play in the dirt and I can curse with the best of them (I blame that on spending a whole summer with the Navy...completely work related, I assure you), so I really get into the spirit of vintage when I am alowed to where Civilian clothes to work.

I understand the limitations of the uniform - and wish all the time that I was alowed to where the blues, so I could wear by military skirt and a pair of pumps, but no, I have to wear that green CADPAT. I just feel so much more pride about my work, when I wear the dress uniform, the combats have a look and feel of PJ's when they get older - and make me feel frumpy.

I think I will just continue with my vintage love on those days when I can!

Thanks so responding, ladies!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
RebeccaDoll said:
the combats have a look and feel of PJ's when they get older - and make me feel frumpy.

That's what I always joke my sweetie about - Before he puts on his boots, he looks like he's wearing PJ's lol

RebeccaDoll said:
So there are others! Well good.

I'm Air Force - not Army, - but I do like to play in the dirt and I can curse with the best of them (I blame that on spending a whole summer with the Navy...completely work related, I assure you), so I really get into the spirit of vintage when I am alowed to where Civilian clothes to work.

I understand the limitations of the uniform - and wish all the time that I was alowed to where the blues, so I could wear by military skirt and a pair of pumps, but no, I have to wear that green CADPAT. I just feel so much more pride about my work, when I wear the dress uniform, the combats have a look and feel of PJ's when they get older - and make me feel frumpy.

I think I will just continue with my vintage love on those days when I can!

Thanks so responding, ladies!

You could always do like one of the girls in "So Proudly We Hail" did and wear a really girlie slip with lace all over it under your CADPAT :)

On another note, let me applaud you and all the other Ladies who are serving :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

THANK YOU!!

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Hamilton_Honey said:
You could always do like one of the girls in "So Proudly We Hail" did and wear a really girlie slip with lace all over it under your CADPAT :)

On another note, let me applaud you and all the other Ladies who are serving :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

THANK YOU!!

Why, I don't know what to say, thank you, but, you know, I'm a Canuck, right? The Canadian in me is blushing like mad ! And is that Hamilton, as in Canada???!!! If it is - know anyone by the name of last name of Thomas?

I think I may just run out - and buy the prettiest little underwear I can find - lacy and maybe bright red. What a wonderful idea! At least, I can slip them on and feel like a women on those icky feeling days, thanks!

I will have to check that film out. too!:)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
That's what I always joke my sweetie about - Before he puts on his boots, he looks like he's wearing PJ's lol

Oh my...he totally does...hahaha lol i think it's even funnier when they take their boots off but leave their boot straps on! Haha then he looks like he's wearing pj's tucked into his socks!

RebeccaDoll said:
Why, I don't know what to say, thank you, but, you know, I'm a Canuck, right? The Canadian in me is blushing like mad ! And is that Hamilton, as in Canada???!!! If it is - know anyone by the name of last name of Thomas?

I think I may just run out - and buy the prettiest little underwear I can find - lacy and maybe bright red. What a wonderful idea! At least, I can slip them on and feel like a women on those icky feeling days, thanks!

I will have to check that film out. too!:)

Yes, I see you're from Canada - and I salute you!

Hamilton for me is Hamilton Field [former Army Air Base] in California (I used to live there and that's where my "handle" came from) How funny, though, because my sister married a last name Thomas. Now how do you like that?

Yes, I HIGHLY recommend the film "So Proudly We Hail" it is one of my all time favorites and I love watching it or listening to the LUX Radio Theater version. I would think it very inspirational for any of you gals in the service. It stars Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake and is based on the true story of the WWII Army nurses who were trapped on Bataan and Corregidor in the Philippines. It's very well done and I personaly think it should be a part of every High School history class. (Perhaps as assigned home-work).

Now go find some frillies, my dear, and feel like a Girl again!! ;) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points