Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women....Shaving??

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I remember reading an interview with some famous model or another when I was in my teens. She said she shaved her face to exfoliate, that it gave her amazingly smooth skin. Though I am naturally fair and have never worried about facial hair of any sort, I did try it years ago, and she's right. My skin felt super smooth afterwards. I never really made a practice of it, as it's time consuming and requires a mirror in the shower, while I prefer a fairly minimalist beauty routine. I don't really see anything wrong with it, and have done it once or twice since when I was preparing for a special event and wanted my makeup to go on as close to flawlessly as possible.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
I have fair skin as well and am usually bothered (though my hair is too light to be seen) by my "peach fuzz". So maybe i will try it for the exfoliating aspect as well as the smooth makeup application.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I'm thinking about texture as much as shadow - when I shave my legs they are very prickly a couple of days later, because of the blunt cut edge of the hair regrowing. I have fair hair on my legs so it doesn't show, but anyone who touches them can certainly feel it!

rue

Well, she's a bit of an oddball in the fact that she only has to shave her legs three times a week and they're always smooth and doesn't have armpit hair. I envy her in the worst way.
She'd kill me if she knew I was discussing this lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Peach fuzz" is a very different kind of hair from whiskers, or even leg hair -- the strands are much smaller and finer, so I'd think even if you did shave them they wouldn't have the stiff feel of a whisker. The problem would come if and when you start to get the darker hairs --something which happens to most of us when you get to A Certain Age, especially if we have a Mediterranean great-grandmother hiding in the family tree. (I speak from experience.) So let the shaver beware.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Ouch:eeek: puzzicato....that looks like it hurts.
Yes Rue the tweezers are my weapon for that one stray hair i always seem to get. The more i read the more i am curious to try it.

rue

Am I the only one here who's been to an electrologist? Or am willing to admit it?

lol I don't think they have those in Ohio Lizzie. Looking around me when I'm out, I'm surprised they have tweezers.

Ouch:eeek: puzzicato....that looks like it hurts.
Yes Rue the tweezers are my weapon for that one stray hair i always seem to get. The more i read the more i am curious to try it.

Yes I agree... ouch.
Oh what? Me? No.... I was talking about my... er... friend :p

crwritt

One Too Many
Am I the only one here who's been to an electrologist? Or am willing to admit it?
I'll admit to anything, provided its true.
I was going to an electrologist a few years ago. Her work on my eyebrows was very successful. I should go back a few more times now for chin and lip hairs.You do have to go back for repeat treatments. Finances made me cut back.
I also had laser on armpits and bikini area. This only works if your hair is a few shades darker than your skin, and if you tan, have light color hair, or are graying ,it won't work so well. Repeat visits are required.
My bikini area is growing back since the laser, and its gray. So no more laser for me, I shave. Some day I'll go for electrolosis there, but I hesitate since its a sensitive area.

Last edited:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer

Funny you should mention this - I just got home from a laser appointment. I mentioned before that I'm fair, and I'm not having the work done on my face, but I have friends who have, and from my experience and theirs: WORTH EVERY PENNY. Groupon in my area features specials on laser hair removal pretty frequently. Something to think about...

Lily Powers

Practically Family

crwritt

One Too Many
Funny you should mention this - I just got home from a laser appointment. I mentioned before that I'm fair, and I'm not having the work done on my face, but I have friends who have, and from my experience and theirs: WORTH EVERY PENNY. Groupon in my area features specials on laser hair removal pretty frequently. Something to think about...

When I went for laser, the tech shaved me first. Is this still the same?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points