Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WONDER WOMAN

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I saw it and found it surprisingly touching for a Superhero movie that generally followed the scheme of any super hero movie; boring origin story in the beginning, funny middle, many explosions at the end.

What made it different and so touching to me, was the way the script writers and the director handled WWs confrontation with mankind. The movie, in large parts, was for me a drama of a supreme and truly good being confronted with the wickedness of mankind, how she cannot understand it and how she ultimately decides to deals with it.

I also must admit I was greatly mistaken with my opinion on Gal Gadot. When I read the news she had been casted, I looked her up, saw no mentionable acting performances in her career, a few underwear pictures at google and I thought to myself, not again a casting only based on looks. You guys at DC never learn, do you? Don't you look at where Henry Cavill got you?

And hell, I was wrong. This movie had the best acting in a DC movie since Nolans Batman trilogy. Gal Gadot played the part beautifully. Her physique even made the fighting scenes believable (well, in a super hero universe way of believable), she looked much bigger and fiercer than on the pictures I had previously seen of her. Having served in the Israeli army probably helped its deal to pull off the fierce fighter part.

I liked this movie way better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which was a 2 hour stand up comedy with no plot or depths whatsoever.

edit: Forgot to mention how incredibly beautiful she is.

Last edited:

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
My wife and I saw WW opening weekend and we loved it. I think it's one of the better superhero movies to come out of both the MCU and the DCEU. IMO, WW is the best DC movie since the Nolan Trilogy concluded.

What makes both the Nolan Batman Trilogy and WW so good is that there's a lot of heart and humanity in them -- and these elements take a very notable precedence over the quality of the special effects and fight choreography.

+/- ten years ago, the girlfriend and I invested in better home technology (and upgraded a few years ago) and said we'd only go to one or maybe two movies a year and use the savings to pay for the new tech. And it's worked - ten years of only going to a movie or two - at most - a year (some years, none) has paid for our upgraded (not super spectacular, just good stuff) technology. In NYC, with popcorn and a few soda, a movie for two is $40 -$50 bucks, so yes, we've paid for our technology.

We are thinking of "using" one of our one of our two movie theater visits this year on WW based on this thread.

Last edited:

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
I saw WW opening weekend with my 11yo daughter and agree with those considering it one of the best superhero movies, to date. They could not have casted a better woman than Gal Gadot. We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
I'm seeing it this weekend and can't wait. I'd paid zero attention until people started the rave reviews. WWI? Action? DC? Planes? ROBIN WRIGHT? I'm IN.

wonder-woman.jpg
Model, marshal arts background, filmed while pregnant. Gal Gadot quite the wonder women herself. Oh, I forgot, easy on the eyes. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I can't remember where I read it, but it was said that Lynn Collins was also originally considered for the role of Wonder Woman. I like Gal Gadot. She's an excellent choice. But I think Lynn Collins would have been equally as good...

Lynn Collins from "John Carter"
lynn_collins_john_carter.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
+/- ten years ago, the girlfriend and I invested in better home technology (and upgraded a few years ago) and said we'd only go to one or maybe two movies a year and use the savings to pay for the new tech. And it's worked - ten years of only going to a movie or two - at most - a year (some years, none) has paid for our upgraded (not super spectacular, just good stuff) technology. In NYC, with popcorn and a few soda, a movie for two is $40 -$50 bucks, so yes, we've paid for our technology.

We are thinking of "using" one of our one of our two movie theater visits this year on WW based on this thread.

DO IT. It is completely worth it.

byerstexas

New in Town
I'm seeing it this weekend and can't wait. I'd paid zero attention until people started the rave reviews. WWI? Action? DC? Planes? ROBIN WRIGHT? I'm IN.

wonder-woman.jpg
Very much enjoyed this film. Better than most superhero films, I thought. And Gal Gadot is so HOT, that almost nothing else mattered. Good fun!

(cross-posted on the "What is the Last Movie..." thread)

"Wonder Woman"
  • Visually beautiful movie (marred occasionally by too much CGI, but overall, gorgeous to look at)
  • Very good comic book story brought to life, but didn't rise to the deeper philosophical level of the Nolan "Batman" movies
  • Music and action sequences were well done and tightly tied together, but they became less, not more effective as the movie progressed - a weariness set in for me
  • Gal Gadot might have defined the role the way Christian Bale did Batman
  • Chris Pine struck a perfect balance of not trying to be the star, but also, carving out a meaningfully strong role
  • Metal bracelets stopping bullets might be my favorite super-power of them all
  • Over-the-top moment that worked: Wonder Woman in no man's land taking the full fire of the Germans (Gadot owns the knee-bent-shield-forward stance)
  • Sir Patrick / Ares was a more interesting villain as Sir Patrick mainly using powers of his mind and seemingly warp-speed movement versus when he became a stock villain firing lighting bolts
  • And heck, some great Fedora Lounge WWI clothes, cars, architecture eye-candy - loved Diana's incognito outfit.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well, duh.

Just watched the new trailer for Justice League... which features Diana more prominently than before, a testament to the success of WW. (Superman is still missing... Really? Who do they think they're fooling?!?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana