Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Felt vs. Fur Felt

Spellflower

Practically Family
Yohanes said:
Of course I wish I could buy a crushable fur felt some day... yeah, Akubra Traveler or International are quite interesting choice... I just wonder whether the legendary Fed is also crushable?

To paraphrase a comment in the hat rolling thread, "Sure, you can crush it... once!" Actually, if it was crushed, you could just have it reblocked, but, no, crushing the Fed is not advisable. That said, I'd recommend really thinking about the reasons that the hat must be rolled. Is that absolutely essential to you? Could you perhaps wear the hat instead of packing it? If not, then look at a Traveller. Or try one of the wool crushables, but don't say I didn't warn ya!

Yohanes said:
About Matt Deckard's example, I'm afraid it would be very hard to find the hat he meant. Getting a vintage at 7 3/8 at ebay is very difficult already... :)

Tell me about it! I too have a 7 3/8 noggin, and I've been scanning ebay for months without finding anything near as nice as Matt's hats. At least not for less than it would cost to have Art make me one!

Musher

One of the Regulars
Based on the comments I have been reading on this site, I just ordered a moonstone Akubra Sylemaster. I have a 5 wool fedoras and a wool homburg by various manufacturers and they all seem ok. I do not wear them frequently and am not that picky but am looking forward to receiving the new hat. It will be my first fur felt fedora. Being a musher, however, I have many fur hats, too many, lol. As far as price goes, I would not consider most of my wool hats inexpensive since they were around fifty dollars or more but if the quality on the Stylemaster is that much superior the extra money will be well spent and I will look to buy more.

Last edited:

RJR

Based on the comments I have been reading on this site, I just ordered a moonstone Akubra Sylemaster. I have a 5 wool fedoras and a wool homburg by various manufacturers and they all seem ok. I do not wear them frequently and am not that picky but am looking forward to receiving the new hat. It will be my first fur felt fedora. Being a musher, however, I have many fur hats, too many, lol. As far as price goes, I would not consider most of my wool hats inexpensive since they were around fifty dollars or more but if the quality on the Stylemaster is that much superior the extra money will be well spent and I will look to buy more.
We will be interested in your reaction once you've had a chance to wear the Akubra.

Musher

One of the Regulars
We will be interested in your reaction once you've had a chance to wear the Akubra.
It won't be here for a while, however, I will let you know. I ordered it on a site called Everything Australian which had a very fair price - it was barely more than what I paid for a wool fedora from Bailey - but a 3 month turnaround on moonstones.

It won't be here for a while, however, I will let you know. I ordered it on a site called Everything Australian which had a very fair price - it was barely more than what I paid for a wool fedora from Bailey - but a 3 month turnaround on moonstones.

Yikes! Three months? If you got it at a great price and aren't in a hurry I guess that's alright. I'm an impatient type.

I have an Akubra Fed IV in moonstone and it's a great color. I'll second the requests for photos when it arrives.

Musher

One of the Regulars
99.57 for the hat plus 15.56 shipping from Australia to upstate NY so total was barely over 115. Moonstones are a special order for them so that is why it takes so long but it's what I wanted. If these Akubra hats are as nice as reported, that's a bargain. I don't mind the wait.

Musher

One of the Regulars
Back when I knew absolutely nothing about hats (*ahem*, about a month ago) I bought a new wool stetson . I've been reasonably satisfied with it, though I've noticed one tendency that might not be a big deal to some, but really annoys me, and that is the hat's tendency to collect lint like a magnet. Just a heads up, as I'm sure others may have access to those elusive lint rollers that my hometown stores seem to boycott.

Also, I must repeat the advice of Mark G. A patient week on ebay landed me three used hats for a total sum of much less than I spent on my new one.

Yes I have a black Stetson Frederick wool fedora that I like and in fact wore today. It is really not an inexpensive hat and runs $75 plus tax on Amazon. I also have a black Bailey of Hollywood Curtis wool fedora which also runs about $75 on Amazon. I think it's a nice hat. Will compare them to the Akubra when it arrives.

Last edited:

Musher

One of the Regulars
Ok I found a black Stetson Sovereign Temple in my size on ebay in excellent condition and it looked too nice to pass up so I bought it. So it should be here a lot sooner than the moonstone Akubra Sylemaster.

Nice hat. What color is your Temple? I have one in Caribou that I like quite a bit. Modern Stetsons are not as nice as vintage, but I'm pleased with them for what they are. Enjoy the hat and post photos when it arrives.

Musher

One of the Regulars
s-l400.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been following this thread. I have one fedora, a wool felt. It is not a snap brim and I was able to steam the front to reshape it the way I wanted it. Can a fur felt hat be reshaped with steam as well?
Yes you can reshape a fit felt with steam. I prefer to get my hat wet by walking in the rain then reshaping. I find there is something about the rain that relaxes the felt and makes it easier to reshape.
With that said I would not do that with a wool felt hat. If you have it how you like it I would give it a coat of Scotchguard to help protect it from any more moisture. Wool is prone to shrinking when it gets wet.
Before I bought my first Akubra I usually went through one “outback” wool hat from the camping store one a year. It would shrink down to fit my head like a toque.
wear it in good health
Johnny

Who?

Practically Family
I take exception to the claim that. one is “snobbish” if one doesn’t seek out the cheapest possible version of whatever it is.

Better is better, irrespective of labeling of those who have a preference for it.

I stopped buying wool hats decades ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk