Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool lined coat and Sheepskin lined coat: wich is more warmer ?

Rus839

New in Town
Hi all, I'm new on this forum, up to now I have 7 vintage army jackets.
Lets say that we have two coats with the outershell made by 100% cotton and one coat have wool liner (tick wool liner like the wool of ww2 coats) and the other have sheepskin liner, in your opinion who is more warmer ?

HI Rus, welcome to TFL...My vote is for sheepskin. Can't speak to a textile jacket but I've had leathers lined in both and the sheepskin was far, far warmer...

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Speculating here..It would be interesting to know which would be warmer if they got soaked.I expect the sheepskin would still be warmer but would be heavier and take longer to dry out

Rus839

New in Town
Thanks for the replies, here the two coats in questions, I will test both this winter.
Mats larsson m1909 coat black label (the black label version doesn't have the air holes under the armpits)

2jeya6u.jpg

Russian army jacket from 1994 (the complete uniform with the lined pants weight 5,5 Kg)

ap9ojo.jpg

2lcmvk7.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have thought that sheepskin would be a lot warmer but the Russians dont mess around with the cold, they know how to keep warm....now I'm not so sure but my vote is still for the sheepskin.

Oh and welcome to the lounge, let us know the results of your experiment please!

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I would imagine both those coats would be good for coping with extreme cold especially if you can layer efficiently.Hardly any of my business but are you planning a trip to a cold part of the World?I can't remember the last time it got decently cold in the UK.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Had a couple of those M1909 jackets. I got soaked in the rain and made the thing so heavy I nearly dumped it. So, not recommended for getting wet. Scandinavian Siberian winters may be another thing though as the non melting snow may just brush off.
Personally this to me is one of those things that does its job really well without consideration for style:D

Rus839

New in Town
I would imagine both those coats would be good for coping with extreme cold especially if you can layer efficiently.Hardly any of my business but are you planning a trip to a cold part of the World?I can't remember the last time it got decently cold in the UK.

Here on the north Italian mountains in winter the temperatures reaches -10/13 °C but with 80/90 % of humidity you feel the cold more colder.

+rocketeer yes you're right, only with the humidity the fur collar it becomes wet.

+ProteinNerd This winter I will let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points