Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Liquor Map

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I saw this yesterday and immediately questioned it. Where did Euromonitor obtain their data? Sales figures? Surveys? I find it suspect at best. But, if vodka is the most consumed liquor in the USA, we're doomed.

Brad

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw this yesterday and immediately questioned it. Where did Euromonitor obtain their data? Sales figures? Surveys? I find it suspect at best. But, if vodka is the most consumed liquor in the USA, we're doomed.

Brad

Hi Brad

It's college kids just getting blasted. Neighbor kid who's now 22 (I think) "likes" Vodka. I can't drink it and I've never had any remotely bad experiences with it. No three day hangover, no 12 hour stint driving the Porcelain bus, nothing. To me it's like trying to drink Kerosene.

Later

newsman

One of the Regulars
Funny how Saudi Arabia was included on the map.

So much for being dry.

I read this last week that there's a serious problem with drinking in Russian (shocking, I know). Along with several co-morbidity factors men many are consuming as much as 3 to 4 740ML bottles a month.

I like a drink and I've been drunk...drunker than most people can dream of...but this is crazy.

Some Russians are now flammable.

-newsman-

Mr.Astor

Banned
Duper- I used to bring tan query rangpur into Canada for a friend in Niagara on the lake I asked why he can't buy it in Canada, he said the alcohol content is too high by Canadian standards. 50 proof is the highest allowed in Canada! True?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vodka is the basis for a lot of drinks that are created to hide the taste of the alcohol. And look at all the flavored varieties on the shelves. This isn't a surprise, really. If you drink whiskey, you're drinking it (unless you have a problem) for the taste. Vodka is drunk as a hidden thing (with some obvious martini exceptions). So all those cosmos or whipped cream or chocolatini things account for a lot of consumption (guessing).

Nobert

Practically Family
So much for being dry.

Along with several co-morbidity factors men many are consuming as much as 3 to 4 740ML bottles a month.

I like a drink and I've been drunk...drunker than most people can dream of...but this is crazy.

-newsman-

I suppose it should worry me that that amount doesn't really strike me as all that much. But seriously, that's maybe 3-4 drinks a day at most.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I suppose it should worry me that that amount doesn't really strike me as all that much. But seriously, that's maybe 3-4 drinks a day at most.
Take the 100 greatest authors in history and most of them imbibed at least that much.

I wouldn't even consider 3-4 fifths a week to be automatically problematic. Maybe not the healthiest habit but certainly not in the "Lost Weekend" neighborhood.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have a hard time believing vodka in the US.
Maybe that's changed, but when I went to the bars, it was whiskey or rum.
I drank straight vodka at one time, but it was a somewhat smooth one (Attakiska) on ice.
The rum was Bacardi 151 with coke mixed half and half per glass. Couldn't ever keep ice in those drinks. :D
Now with the tv show, moonshine (legal) has shown up at functions I go to.
It's in a mason jar with some flavoring or plain, gone are the days it came in a clear milk jug, out the back of someone's truck.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Duper- I used to bring tan query rangpur into Canada for a friend in Niagara on the lake I asked why he can't buy it in Canada, he said the alcohol content is too high by Canadian standards. 50 proof is the highest allowed in Canada! True?

Interesting. I had never thought about that, but a quick check on the Ontario liquor control board website shows they sell Bacardi 151 Overproof Rum. 75.5% proof. Wow!

Not sure if that is the highest % they sell but if Canadians need an efficient way to get legless fast, they can provide the tools.

Nobert

Practically Family
Bacardi is one those spirits I associate with college guys in bars trying to get college girls to drink enough until they'll make out. The same sort of crowd that goes in for Jaeger bombs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk