Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nuno Forte

New in Town
Hello.
I bought a L-2A (Alpha Industries Vintage) jacket.
It came new inside the plastic bag but full of wrinkles.
How can i remove the wrinkles without damage the outer shell?

Best regards.

Nuno Forte.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Even though they should be dry cleaned I think the best option would be to soak the coat in luke warm water & then hang it on a hanger to drip & if possible, put it outside to air dry. Just think of it as an artificial thunderstorm. :rolleyes:

Benproof

A-List Customer
At a professional dry cleaner, I was wondering how the tumbling of the garments in the dry cleaning vat came out straight. The lady was ironing each garment with a tiny little iron with an industrial steam generator connected via a pipe giving continuous steam which most domestic irons are incapable of generating.

Very stuffy though. Easier to do at home after drip dry, no towel squeezing the garment in soft nylon detergent to gently loosen the starchy stuff they coat it with before it comes to you squeezed in a pack, which reforms the creases non-intended.

Wearing it might be funny but this season's garment look is all unironed anyway. Suits me fine :0

Peacoat

Bartender
Whatever you do, don't soak it in water. If it is like the vintage ones, it will shrink because of the wool insulation. Have it dry cleaned. Trust me, I know from experience about the shrinkage as I used to wear them back in the days that were.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the best thing you can do is wear the jacket. Nylon jackets, such as Alpha flight jackets, tend to do this. It will become better with wear.

+1 that's the way I've sorted the issue. Shrunken interlining has caused me problems (some vintage eBay nylon purchases had obviously been washed at some point) don't end up going down that road.

Benproof

A-List Customer
If you are washing in hot water then of course wool will shrink. Similarly, tumble drying or spinning won't help!

What to do with fussy nylon garments....

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find hanging a garment in the bathroom while taking a hot shower with a lot of steam helps remove wrinkles from clothes, you could try that as well.

Nuno Forte

New in Town
Thank you all for the time and info.
Unfortunately the main zipper is misplaced so I will return it to the seller.

If anybody knows were can i get another one or any model of not made in China blue bomber jacket please let me know.

Best regards,

Nuno Forte.

Attachments

• offcenter3.jpg
    offcenter3.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 765

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Sloan's right, just wear it.

The long discontinued Alpha Vintage series did not have wool insulation, although the knits might have been wool. Either way, these jackets are not to be washed. If you want a washable flight jacket, get one of the newer nomex CWU jackets.

If you want a made in the USA jacket, take a look at the links I posted recently in the MA-1 thread. Valley Apparel is making some domestically. They aren't reproduction correct, but you get what you pay for. Alpha's current jackets are all made in China or someplace, but in my opinion their construction quality and quality control is much better than their older made in the USA jackets; although the domestic jackets had slightly heavier nylon shells, the several I've bought and sold and/or kept were all inconsistent in terms of sizing and construction quality. The new Chinese jackets which I've bought etc, in contrast, have been flawless.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Thank you all for the time and info.
Unfortunately the main zipper is misplaced so I will return it to the seller.

If anybody knows were can i get another one or any model of not made in China blue bomber jacket please let me know.

Best regards,

Nuno Forte.

Wow. That's bad news!

I *think* it might still be made in England:

16-03-2016_fredperry_xrafsimons_bomberjacket_black_amc_1x.jpg

The Belstaff isn't quite bomber, but the colour is closer:

14-12-2015_belstaff_cannonbury_jacket_ceruleanblue_2_sp.jpg

Stone Island I can't live with:

06-10-2014_stoneisland_mussolagommatashorthoodedparka_1.jpg

Moncler - closer still, but not bomber enough.

05-02-2015_moncler_matelotshirtjacket_lightblue_1x.jpg

Can't you get a replacement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points