Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkles out of silk?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi girls,

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for getting deep, set-in wrinkles out of silk satin. I found a gorgeous dress at a garage sale, but it had been crumpled up in a ball for years. I tested a bit of the hem and the silk does get watermarked, so I tried a dry iron but didn't have any luck. Do you think it's safe to try the steamer on it at a reasonable distance to prevent spotting?

Miss Roulette

New in Town
I would agree with Lily, hang it up in your bathroom when taking a shower and let the steam from that loosen the wrinkles.

When using steam from the iron hold the iron away from the silk satin at first and smooth with your hand. If the steam is too hot and too close you can end up with ripples in the silk so best to start from a slight distance.

Good luck.

Snookie

Practically Family
this is a little bit "DUH!" but worth saying - test a small hidden section first, and go slowly!

You're in the LA area right? If you don't have success yourself, I highly recommend the French Laundry in Pasadena. They cost a pretty penny, but they're the best. Call before you go, they have weird hours and close when they go on vacation.

606 South Lake Ave
Pasadena
626-792-3881

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21