Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Cooking?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Both my parents who where born in 1933, served up spam fritters to me and my siblings, well into the 1960's along with "Corned beef fritters" carved from an equally "Square" can of "Frey Bentos" corned beef, somehow that tiny tin, served dinner for two adults and three children, no wonder I was always "Famished", actually I think it is still available at the grocery store here in town now, i'm so tempted to ask my Mother to Luncheon (she always enquires what is on the menu) and serve it up, as Plate de Jour!!!"

fray_benton_corned_beef.jpg

argentina%20halal%20corned%20beef%204.jpg

Frey Bentos do a "Steak and Kidney Pudding" to die for , but it costs so much to fly it over

appy

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
"Both my parents who where born in 1933, served up spam fritters to me and my siblings, well into the 1960's along with "Corned beef fritters" carved from an equally "Square" can of "Frey Bentos" corned beef, somehow that tiny tin, served dinner for two adults and three children, no wonder I was always "Famished", actually I think it is still available at the grocery store here in town now, i'm so tempted to ask my Mother to Luncheon (she always enquires what is on the menu) and serve it up, as Plate de Jour!!!"

fray_benton_corned_beef.jpg

argentina%20halal%20corned%20beef%204.jpg

Frey Bentos do a "Steak and Kidney Pudding" to die for , but it costs so much to fly it over

Thankfully, canned corned beef tends to taste better than it looks! lol

appy

Familiar Face
Mahagonny Bill said:
I recently found out that the original 1931 Joy of Cooking is being reprinted. It is filled with authentic depression era recipes and was definitely in use during the war.

I also found an old thread here on the lounge about Vintage recipies

Ooooh, yay! :D *runs to check it out* Thanks!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
appy said:
I'm looking for a site with a collection - not just a smattering, but is specifically dedicated to - the WWII kitchen. So far, all I'm finding is info. on a particular cook book. I have no interest in making a purchase at this time, as I'd rather find a free site instead. Anyone know of a good place online (besides AllRecipes, etc.) for authentic recipes?

Thanks! :)

What culture? Food was still more regionalized then compared to now. There was no one WWII diet.

If there was, going by the evidence in this thread, nobody in my family ate it.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
100 Wartime recipes

Good Day Appy

I have just been looking at this as I could do with losing a few pounds or so my wife tell's me ;)

http://1940sexperiment.wordpress.com/100-wartime-recipes/

With regard to Corned Beef, my Grandmother would serve it to us all every Saturday at 1600 on a sandwich, with a half a boiled egg, half a tomato and a few crisps. Never varied and I have to say I often think of her, apron on, bone handled butter knife in hand, smile on her face. Happy days.

Sadly, she passed way but she was 89 (one month off 90) and I am pretty sure she had that Saturday "tea" every week from 1941.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
N.A.A.F.I Tea

naafi-tea_1613926c.jpg

NAAFI is proud to launch one of Britain’s favourite pastimes as its own label brand – the much loved NAAFI Break!
Featuring distinctive retro-style packaging displaying the historic NAAFI crest, NAAFI Break products have been launched in two broad categories, “char” and “wad” (traditionally tea and a bun), and are available now in NAAFI stores and outlets across BFG.
Having been the beverage of choice for the British Armed Forces since 1921, fronting the new NAAFI Break brand is NAAFI Break tea, a premium quality blend that gives a rich, strong taste and a real military flavour. NAAFI Break tea will be sold in all NAAFI stores across Germany, with 50p from every box sold donated to military causes; this in addition to all NAAFI financial surpluses which get returned directly to the Services throughout the year. As well as NAAFI Break Tea, other products will include buns, pies, sandwiches, pastries, sausage rolls and bacon butties offering good, honest British food and drink and a real taste of home.
NAAFI Break has a proud history and is appreciated and understood by British Armed Forces personnel all over the world. For many years the arrival of a tea break has been linked with taking a NAAFI Break and, even in countries where NAAFI no longer has a presence, the phrase is still commonly used, signalling a break from the rigours of everyday military life and a brief return home.
NAAFI CEO, Reg Curtis says the traditional NAAFI brew is still a major part of the company’s heritage and says initial reaction to the rebranded NAAFI Break shows that there is still a passion and fondness for everything that it represents:
“In the context of Force’s life, NAAFI Break is a period of downtime; a time to unwind over a cup of tea and a bun, catch up with friends, or take a glance at the daily newspaper. It is therefore much more than just a tea break; it summarises everything NAAFI stands for, delivering the familiar and comforting feelings of home right across the world. For us, the key is to provide British products which offer good, honest value and our products are based on a unique point of difference such as “the biggest”, “the best” and “truly memorable”. The new NAAFI Break range offers real value and I’m sure our customers will be delighted to see NAAFI Break back on the menu.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana