Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Hondo

One Too Many
Vic said:
I don't know a thing about Military Caps (the vintage I collect is all basically 50s Teddy Boy, 50s Rockabilly, and 30s-50s motorcycle gear).

Anyway, I was wondering about this hat. Is it a WW2 Crusher Cap? If so, assuming it's an original model, and in excellent vintage condition, what would the price range be?
9186.jpg

Thanks!!

Not an authority on crushers but this cap is not worn allot, not really in crusher style,
looks like an academy cap, pre WWII. Value a price? As a guess it depends,
I would say around $100 or more, you might try Ebay. Hope this was helpful.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
Not an authority on crushers but this cap is not worn allot, not really in crusher style,
looks like an academy cap, pre WWII. Value a price? As a guess it depends,
I would say around $100 or more, you might try Ebay. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you for the info!!

Vic said:
Anyway, I was wondering about this hat. Is it a WW2 Crusher Cap? If so, assuming it's an original model, and in excellent vintage condition, what would the price range be?
9186.jpg

Thanks!!

I don't have experience on this type if cap but I would always suggest that you supply pictures of the INSIDE of the cap if there are any MAKERS marks or imprints and any information behind the sweat band. If there are collectors interested in this cap then that type of info is always good to list and show.

Vic

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I don't have experience on this type if cap but I would always suggest that you supply pictures of the INSIDE of the cap if there are any MAKERS marks or imprints and any information behind the sweat band. If there are collectors interested in this cap then that type of info is always good to list and show.

That makes perfect sense. Thx!

TPD166

One Too Many
Reviving a very old thread, but could not find a more recent one.

Having bought and sold a few original crushers and other WW-II caps (all were either in too poor a condition to wear or the wrong size), I bought this repro cap years ago when I was in the Army. At the time I was considering being a volunteer at the base WW-II museum, but never thought the cap looked "authentic" enough.

I found it while unpacking recently (forgot I had it) & started playing around with it. After I bent the @#$% out of the front (originally much too tall), it looked quite a bit better. Since then I've added a WW-II-era Luxemberg cap badge & an original leather back strap. I next plan to replace the bonded “leather” front strap with an original leather one and add correct two- piece side buttons.

It would never pass for a real one on the inside, but the outside is looking much better than when I first bought it. The “leather” visor is soft like the originals, but the frame is plastic. I think it looks decent enough to wear and I don’t have to worry about anything happening to a fragile real one.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had a prop department replica crusher from the film Memphis Belle. Not for wearing in close up (but might have been) It was made from what looked like an old English Battledress material and all the 'leather', was in fact a soft light brown plastic. This hat sat on a display head for sometime and when I packed up to move house the plastic simply split so I threw it away. 20 feet away it was a dead ringer for an original, I wore it at Duxford with my Lucky 7 Seven A2 back in the 1990s and a rather impatient young collector ran up to me wanting to buy it till he got close. Not long after Eastman of Devon, England started making quality repros but were a bit expensive at the time

TPD166

One Too Many
I don't think the visor is actually leather, but it looks decent and it pretty flexible. I ordered one from an overseas maker several years ago based on the website photo - it wasn't even close - wrong material and a CLOTH visor. They did excahnge it for one with a leather visor, but it was awful. I'm pretty happy with this one now and it was a reasonable price when I got it. I have only added about $25 adding the leather straps and correct buttons and already had the Luxemberg badge.

I had a prop department replica crusher from the film Memphis Belle. Not for wearing in close up (but might have been) It was made from what looked like an old English Battledress material and all the 'leather', was in fact a soft light brown plastic. This hat sat on a display head for sometime and when I packed up to move house the plastic simply split so I threw it away. 20 feet away it was a dead ringer for an original, I wore it at Duxford with my Lucky 7 Seven A2 back in the 1990s and a rather impatient young collector ran up to me wanting to buy it till he got close. Not long after Eastman of Devon, England started making quality repros but were a bit expensive at the time

p51

One Too Many
A not-so-well known repro is the visor caps made for Texas A&M University's ROTC department. They used to (and maybe still) all wear pink-and-greens.
I got one of their hats a few years ago from a call to a surplus store in College Station, TX that I can't recall the name of today. I think I had $25 in this hat, including the WW2 eagle. This isn't a good photo for color for obvious reasons, but it's a darned accurate hat.

us%2040s_zpsqfieag6c.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It has been over 6 years since I posted to this thread, and I still don't have a crusher.

I had ordered, and received, a Flying Tigers cap back in '09, but it was mess, as far as looks and materials. Very stiff, tall, and too big for my head, despite being the 'right' size. Needles to say, I was disappointed, and returned it.

So why am I back here now? I still want a crusher, and have found the person I will buy one from, and I can get it custom made - size, materials, color, and the accuracy will be spot on. I'm pretty excited.

But I have a few questions for you knowledgeable gents.

My biggest problem right now is choosing a color. My original choice, going back 40 years, is OD, based on Bob Crane's hat in Hogan's Heroes. I've loved that hat since I was a kid.

But now I am drawn to the 'pink' color. I also like the khaki tan color.

What is chocolate? Is it actually brown, or a variation on OD?

And what is the significance of these colors, if any, as in who (what branch) wore them?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk