Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Eccentric Heroes

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
BT Started a thread entitled: "Golden Era Adventurers, Explorers and Heroes..." that has led to a lot of fabulous posts and photos.

Picking up on that theme: Name some of WWII's famous, exciting, and ECCENTRIC individuals please! (The more obscure and/or eccentric the better!) Images and/or references are welcome...

MY FIRST NOMINEE:

David C. Schilling. Deputy CO of the 56th Fighter Group under Hub Zemke. Schilling was "handsome, debonair, and as popular with his men as he was with the ladies." Schilling was a Rube Goldberg-like inventor who once built a weapon described as "a cross between a machine gun and a pistol." Schilling eventually took over the 56th from Zemke and had a distinguished Air Force career that was tragically cut short when he smashed his sports car into a stone bridge abutment in England in 1954.

ds.jpg

Biggles

New in Town
Got to be Orde Wingate....or possibly Jack Churchill, who,as a commando officer was known to use both Longbow & broadsword in action....

Those code breakers at Bletchley Park must have been kinda eccentric. That many mathematicians in one place! My type of hero - one who uses his brain instead of his muscles. So i nominate all the codebreakers at Bletchley, even though i don't know if they were eccentric or not. Anyone know anything about those guys? I mean, were they eccentric? They must have been ... surely ... Anyone??

bk

Mycroft

One Too Many
James Dolittle-Commander, inovator, risk taker, and always think about his men.
This guy started bombing Tokyo in early 1942 from Aircraft Carriers, this is risking and a new idea, that really scared the Japonisee.

jdolittle.jpg

William "Wild Bill" Donovah-head of the OSS, founded modern US intelgence, a nessicary evil (not well liked) and was good friends with FDR. This guy really brought reallable intellenge and other covert opperations to the USA's arsonal. His department was paid out of the President's Emergency Fund, nothing else.

wbdonovan2.jpg

Franklyn D. Roosevelt-president, perserved democracy, and also risked it all. Though he was our president, he had to risk so much to beat the axis powers, like making deals with fomer enemies.

fdr.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Col. H.F. "Frank" Gregory, his eccentric idea during W.W. II was to have these crazy aircraft no one wanted, called helicopters for the Air Corps.

The guys that were rescued by these vibrating, noisy, contraptions were pretty happy that Col. Gregory thought they'd be useful

frankgregory.jpg

wrightfield6-20-44copy.jpg

XR-5copy.jpg

HFGregoryXR-1AzoomIIcopy.jpg

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Humm..

Jake, Matt, Mycroft, etc. have certainly nailed
a few great ones, I'll toss my hat in the ring
and say C. L. Chennault.

SJ

jake431

Practically Family
ShanghaiJack said:
Jake, Matt, Mycroft, etc. have certainly nailed
a few great ones, I'll toss my hat in the ring
and say C. L. Chennault.

SJ

He was a great one too!

How about Douglas Bader? Old and a double amputee, but that didn't stop him from making ace, or escaping from POW camps repeatedly.

-Jake

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A really INTERESTING story about Bader...

jake431 said:
How about Douglas Bader? Old and a double amputee, but that didn't stop him from making ace, or escaping from POW camps repeatedly. Jake

There is a guy (Kenneth Williams) from England (now living in New South Wales) that claims that he helped Bader with his tin legs in a hotel in Liverpool during the very period (May-June 1942) when Bader was in a German POW camp. He calls his saga "The Douglas Bader Enigma" and it is a very interesting read.

Check it out >> The Douglas Bader Enigma

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Gabby!

Hondo said:
I'll throw one in, Francis S. (Gabby) Gabreski

Okay, Hondo, I agree that Gabby was a true hero... but eccentric? He couldn't have been more conventional from what I can tell. BTW, I loved your little vignette! Just what I was hoping would get posted on this thread.

jake431

Practically Family
ShanghaiJack said:
Bader?
Jake you always impress me! keep it up!

Thanks Jack! How about the other side? A pilot I'm always sad was lost (even though he was a German) is Hans Joachim Marseille, the Star of Africa. Hell of a learning curve for that one, but when he finally gor going, c'mon! Here's some testimony:

Hans Joachim Marseille, a young German fighter pilot, was the most amazing, unique, and lethal ace of World War 2. A non-conformist and brilliant innovator, he developed his own personal training program and combat tactics, and achieved amazing results, including 17 victories in one day, and an average lethality ratio of just 15 gun rounds per victory. Marseille was described by Adolf Galland, the most senior German ace, with these words : "He was the unrivaled virtuoso among the fighter pilots of World War 2. His achievements were previously considered impossible."

158 kills, all but 5 (I think) against the western front opponents not the russians, and all of this before he died in a bailout in Sept 1942. Insane.

Anyway, look him up, he was a real non-conformist, a very rare thing in the Nazi state. Interesting.

-Jake

Hondo

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
Okay, Hondo, I agree that Gabby was a true hero... but eccentric? He couldn't have been more conventional from what I can tell. BTW, I loved your little vignette! Just what I was hoping would get posted on this thread.

Eccentric? And some of these other guys were? I never heard or read about Gabby until recently, wasn't handsome dude, but knew (okay conventional) what he was doing. I better do some studying. The only real aviator who comes to mind as eccentric would be Howard Hughes if eccentric is what you had in mind, (Yeah Patton leads the list, a great General, but a major nut by that I mean self serving, still an awesome general ) General Dwight Eisenhower might come to mind am I wrong? I mean the risk played out on D-Day, boggles the mind to think about, throw out ?¢‚Ǩ?ìgreen?¢‚Ǩ? troops? I doubt I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d have the guts to order this without thinking of another alternative plan, but of course I wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t there, Eisenhower may have had no other choice but to follow through.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
No offense meant...

Hondo said:
Eccentric? And some of these other guys were? I never heard or read about Gabby until recently, wasn't handsome dude, but knew (okay conventional) what he was doing. I better do some studying.

Didn't mean to be critical, Hondo, just started this thread to learn about some of the guys who were brave and a little wild/crazy. Gabby truly was one of a kind, but very modest and straight-forward. Contrast this with his 56th FG pal Dave Schilling who was brilliant, brave, and way-off-the-scale zany.

Hondo

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
Didn't mean to be critical, Hondo, just started this thread to learn about some of the guys who were brave and a little wild/crazy. Gabby truly was one of a kind, but very modest and straight-forward. Contrast this with his 56th FG pal Dave Schilling who was brilliant, brave, and way-off-the-scale zany.

Oh its cool, go ahead and be critical :) I'm in a fine mood, didn't mean to sound serious and all, this is a good topic :cheers1: