Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Films

poetman

A-List Customer
Any recommendations? I saw Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates, and some major ones. I feel like seeing not so much a war flick, but a war flick with a great plot. (If that makes sense?)

Thanks All!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Off the top my head:
"Midnight Clear" and "To End All Wars".
One that shows no battles but is interesting is "December". It is about American boys at a private school discussing the war "over there" when they get news of Pearl Harbor being bombed and they have to re-think their stands.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I know some of these, if not all, have already been recommended, nevertheless:

"Letters from Iwo Jima"
"A Bridge Too Far"
"Patton"

Wow...all of a sudden I can't remember any more :eusa_doh: . I'll add some as they come to mind. It's later than I thought. My brain's going into standby mode.

I'm big on documentaries, if you're interested in them, I have a few to recommend as well.;)

RIOT

Practically Family
A couple of good plot WWII movies that just came to mind are Go For Broke (442nd, Nisei) & Audie Murphy's - To Hell & Back.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
"Memphis Bell" is an absolutely amazing WWII movie based on an actual B-17 crew's final mission. Fantastic acting and use of actual footage make it my favorite. Second in line is "Midway".

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
I know these were stated above but I'm gonna say them again anyways. Flags Of Our Fathers and To End All Wars were great movies. And movies that have'nt been mentioned are Windtalkers and The Great Raid. Both of those were great movies too! Hope this helped!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KeyGrip said:
"Memphis Bell" is an absolutely amazing WWII movie based on an actual B-17 crew's final mission. Fantastic acting and use of actual footage make it my favorite. Second in line is "Midway".

Well, with the mention of 'Memphis Belle', I would have to now recommend the original 'Twelve O'Clock High' with Gregory Peck. This film is so good that the military and corporate America still use it in leadership training.

And I might as well throw in 'Command Decision' and 'The War Lover' to round out the air war genre.

-dixon cannon

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Decision Before Dawn - about a German POW who spies for the Allies against the Germans.

The Guns of Navarone - takes place on occupied Greece; stars Gregory Peck.

Von Ryan's Express - Frank Sinatra does a bang-up job of leading Allied POWs out of an Italian POW camp.

Of course, my all-time favorite, The Longest Day - all about D-Day, from both sides.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Change of Pace

"Americanization of Emily" (1964) - a black comedy written by Paddy Chayefsky, stars James Garner and Julie Andrews.

"Hope and Glory" (1987) - semi-autobiographical account of director John Boorman's experiences as a child in England during the Blitz.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How 'bout this little known gem!!???

Richard Lester's 'How I Won the War' !

Starring Michael Crawford before he was a phantom, and that Beatle guy, whats-is-name(?) as Pvt. Gripweed.

JohnandMike.jpg

-dixon cannon

merkman

Familiar Face
Play dirty: Michael Cane, good desert warfare pic.

Cross of Iron: James Coburn, Russian front, Sam Peckinpah classic.

The Bridge: 16 year old German school boys defend a bridge in April '45

The Blue Max: George Peppard as German WW1 flying ace, great flying sequences

633 Squadron: Cliff Robertson, Dehavilland Mosquitos are the star.

I could go on and on..........

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As allready mentioned:
Battle of Britain, Dark blue World,The Longest Day, Band of Brothers and - if you can get it - another TV series: Piece of Cake. Great story!
(After the book by Derek Robinson)
The Great Escape is a classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff