• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

WWII/old-fashioned military slang for passing gas.

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Ticklishchap, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap Practically Family

A bad workman always blames his tools, I know, but I have been having a lot of problems adjusting to this new keyboard.

Yes, of course I meant flame-thrower!!!

2. Ticklishchap

Yes, a brilliant scene. I remember that film well.

3. Ticklishchap

"Fart shame" is something you lose quickly at an all-male boarding school. Perhaps your grandfather had a similar education to mine.

4. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

I Remember a boy at school letting rip as it were in a PT lesson which reduced the class to laughter, he then received capital punishment from the PT Instructor later.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  5. Ticklishchap

'Capital punishment': that sounds a bit drastic. Please explain what you mean.

We didn't call it 'PT' but 'PE' and only had to do it until 14: it was one double lesson during the week. The absence of PE after 14 didn't mean that the school was lax on sports: as I've explained on another thread I had to play Rugger every day except on Wednesday afternoons when we had Corps.

As it happens, the PE master's farts were legendary and a source of continuous mirth among the boys.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. STEVIEBOY1

(We were a very strict school.) I Was wondering if anyone would notice that, I meant of course, Corporal Punishment.:oops:

Ticklishchap likes this.
  7. Ticklishchap

I noticed it straightaway!!!
    Our PE master barked instructions at us. As far as his farts were concerned, we used to say that we ought to be issued with gas masks.

8. Ticklishchap

At school - as in many all-male environments - farts were a constant source of amusement and comment.

9. Ticklishchap

The oldest trick, of course, is to fart into a glass jar, seal it double-quick, then label it with date and time and see if it is still 'alive' days or weeks later.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  10. Ticklishchap

Some relevant Royal Marines sayings:

'Down and patch out' (after a loud fart).

'I'll raise you.'

'Officer's Mess Commander Speaking' (after a long fart).

'Speak up Brown, you're through' (loud).

11. Ticklishchap

'Fire a stink torpedo' is another euphemism I heard recently.

12. STEVIEBOY1

Those euphemisms you have put above are very good indeed. Amazing how a bodily function can still cause such mirth.

13. Ticklishchap

It's still a source of mirth. Of course, there is no longer the risk of getting a loud and dramatic 'bollocking' from a man in authority: a schoolmaster, games master or Corps instructor. This added a certain frisson to farting at school - especially as the bollockings were half-hearted as most of these men farted a lot themselves, especially the games masters.

14. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

You didn't happen to go to The Coopers Company school along The Mile End Road by any chance?

Ticklishchap likes this.
  15. Ticklishchap

No - I did not go to school in the Mile End Road but I’ve heard of Cooper’s. What’s the significance in this context?!

16. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

The way you reminisced of your schooldays brought back memories of my own, your school sounded a lot like mine.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  17. Ticklishchap

I would be interested to hear some of those memories. ... As it was a boys' boarding school, it was an even more enclosed male environment than Cooper's. Sport, known as 'eccer', was more important than academic achievement and there was a strong emphasis on the Corps as well. Discipline was strong although many of the masters had a sense of humour. As far as the subject of this thread is concerned, I was bawled out many times for farting!!!

18. Ticklishchap

I feel increasingly guilty about my farts and their possible contribution to climatic instability.

19. STEVIEBOY1

In that case, I think we are all guilty of that.