Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Photos (and Stories) of Our Loved Ones

kyda

One of the Regulars
Hi Lolly, well I was lied to:rage: :rage: :rage: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , there is nothing like being lied to and then thinking for all these years it was a truth. There may be a reason I was told this and I do not know if I want to do any digging.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
My Grandpa was an Tech Corporal in the 5th USAAF, 72nd Tactical Reconnaissance Group, 82nd Reconnaissance Squadron, New Guinea and the Philippines.
I have a large amount of photos from his time served, he apparently was fascinated by nose art.
The 82nd was known as "The Strafin' Saints" and their insignia was the big bear like character from Disney. In fact, one of the Officers knew Walt and asked them for something they could use.
Damn photobucket is down right now... I have some images.

The 82nd also was home to Major William Shomo who earned the MoH for shooting down seven jap planes in one sortie in 1945. He did the seven victory rolls as he flew in and, according to Grandpa, who saw this, was about to get into deep shit for screwing around with the victory roll until they realized he really did get seven.
Shomo later took command of the unit.

In Buffalo, NY's Soldiers and Sailor's museum there is a P-38 Aircorbra, Snooks 2nd which was Shomo's. Supposedly, Grandpa worked on this plane.

The worst part of everything is that Grandpa had a good war. He built models of the P-51, liked going to airshows and enjoyed talking about the war as near as I can tell.

The 82nd had their first reunion in 1982 in Buffalo centered around Snooks 2nd. Grandpa was really looking forward to it.

Grandpa had a heart attack and passed maybe a month before his reunion.

I do my best to keep his memory going.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Trotsky said:
The 82nd was known as "The Strafin' Saints" and their insignia was the big bear like character from Disney. In fact, one of the Officers knew Walt and asked them for something they could use.
Damn photobucket is down right now... I have some images.

:Looking forward to this.
lurk.gif

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Some Pictures of the Sqdn Patch!

Here's Shomo with the aforementioned Snooks.

My uncle has a cloth patch of the unit, I would like to get one of the above made up.

Airacobra JB

New in Town
My Grandpa was an Tech Corporal in the 5th USAAF, 72nd Tactical Reconnaissance Group, 82nd Reconnaissance Squadron, New Guinea and the Philippines.
(...)

Hello, Trotsky.
I'd like to contact you, about the 82nd TRS. Please, PM me.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk