Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenacting Discussion Thread

savoy6

New in Town
kind of depends on the time period,'43 '44 '45 and whether you are doing a paratrooper or glider impression.....the m23 belt was meant to be used with that god-awful haversack.every airborne unit had,by '42, gone to using the M36 suspenders with the M36 musette bag for a pack.the haversack was found to be impossible to use with the back mounted 'chute.the musette could be attached to the suspenders,then flipped forward over your head to sit on your chest while jumping.when you ditched the 'chute you just kicked it back over your head and onto your back and you were set.if you intend on carrying a full canteen or two plus an e-tool and full ammo load, the suspenders will help properly distribute the weight of that load out,or the belt will ride uncomfortably low with all that gear on it.
in combat you saw people using both the suspenders and just belts.some guys just ditched everything but the web belt and carried many of their items in the large pockets that were part of both the M42 and M43 jump uniforms.
the full web set would look something like this..
USGFGABNS-2.jpg

i will say that it is always refreshing to see someone that wants to do 82nd or any other unit beside E/506th.....

Last edited:

Zenoctilles

New in Town
Meh, I think it might be easier and cheaper to buy the entire paratrooper kit from At the Front, then. I'll place a call next week. Hopefully they will allow me to get rid of the canteen and shovel.

Zenoctilles

New in Town
Thanks. I think I'll buy the basic uniform from ATF and buy a pistol belt and a Thompson magazine pouch from one of those vendors you listed. That should be enough.

rjb1

Practically Family
I have bought several items from ATF and have been pleased with all. One thing to be careful of is boot size. They tell you that their boots are on the large size for the labeled size, and they are not kidding. As long as they warn you, it's not something to complain about, but just be sure you keep it in mind.
Joel

Zenoctilles

New in Town
I wear a size 10, so should I buy a size 9 for the Corcoran jump boots?

Hmm... I think I'll give ATF a call to about the paratrooper package, since it contains nearly everything I want. Just need to get rid of the musette bag and the shovel, and I should be good to go.

Gene

Practically Family
What's great about guys that are also into vintage clothing with a knowledge of the lifestyles of the 1930s and 1940s is that they have an insight into the civilian culture of the time. They can integrate their knowledge of the times into their WWII personas, which is after all what the "citizen soldier" GI's of WWII did.

rjb1

Practically Family
Bsed on my experience with their (ATF) boots about a one size difference is what you can expect.
I have been pleased with the look, construction, and durability of my double buckle boots, but I have to put in an insole and wear thick socks since their "8" is closer to a "9" and I wear an 8 1/2 in most shoes or boots.
I got mine some time ago so be sure to check if they are still running on the high side.
Better a little too loose than a little too tight.
Joel

BigFitz

Practically Family
Might be opening a can of worms here - but anyway, let's give it a shot and try to keep it civilized...

I do find it very great and fantastic that some girls and guys will spend time and money on recreating history. Even down to the smallest button.
But when they claim, it's in honour of the veterans, who were actually there, I find it sooooo wrong that 50+, overweight, beer bellies try to look like young, trained troops.
Playing war in the woods with your buddies is another thing. And I couldn't care less - might even be good with some exercise.
But parading in the streets, doing history teaching at schools, participating at air-shows etc.?

I think age should be right and true to the rank you "play" just as the physical appearance must be right.
Paratroopers who jumped in Normandy was not 47 years old. Pilots who flew during Battle of Britain, did not have beer bellies.

What do you think?

Maybe they are so absorbed by the idea of the war and what it must have been like that they want to in some way capture for themselves the sheer massiveness of it all. How absolutley significant the entire endeavor was. I'm not a reenactor but these are some of the things that make me think about becoming involved with reenacting. Worrying about having everything correct on your uniform may in some way make up for the fact that they can't get the one thing (age) right. But is that something we have to focus our attention on? I have to ask Spitfire, is that you in your avatar with the vintage flight gear on? If so, and I apologize if this offends, but why did you have that picture made? Maybe for the same reason other people reenact. You don't appear to be a spring chicken yourself if that's you.

I reenact, and I'm 50. Not sure what I can do about that part. I can (and did ) lose weight, but I have yet to find a way to lose years. Also, I'm not going to portray some high-ranking guy when we barely have enough soldiers for the battles. There's not that many of us WWII Soviets, so we do what we can. I'm not fond of big, fat, sloppy guys doing it - there seems to me a line that needs to be drawn, but I also don't want to be exclusive to the point of being a-holes.
I'm just happy there's people that want to do it (for the right reasons). Sure, there's some on the fringes, but that's a separate matter. I joined to learn, have some fun, and promote history. But alas, I'm an old fart...

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
I've been involved in WWII reenactment for over 20 years now. East Coast. I change up every so offen to meet my own age/size standards. Something I do. No more Airborne impressions. I cannot pull it off to my satisfaction. This is an indivdual thing. I fortunitly have been asked to command at events so I can do the older officer impression there. But I do not do it all the time. Right now I do National Guard and Costal Artillery impressions. Germans late in the war were older too.

Last edited:

Davep

One of the Regulars
Might be opening a can of worms here - but anyway, let's give it a shot and try to keep it civilized...

I do find it very great and fantastic that some girls and guys will spend time and money on recreating history. Even down to the smallest button.
But when they claim, it's in honour of the veterans, who were actually there, I find it sooooo wrong that 50+, overweight, beer bellies try to look like young, trained troops.
Playing war in the woods with your buddies is another thing. And I couldn't care less - might even be good with some exercise.
But parading in the streets, doing history teaching at schools, participating at air-shows etc.?

I think age should be right and true to the rank you "play" just as the physical appearance must be right.
Paratroopers who jumped in Normandy was not 47 years old. Pilots who flew during Battle of Britain, did not have beer bellies.

What do you think?

First and foremost WWII Reenacting is a hobby, by people with varing degrees of interest in "Things World War II". The discussion and debate over justifying one's participation in this hobby on "we do it to honor the veterans" is true in some cases and not in others. And while most are just their for the "fun of the hobby" seeing their friends and taking and sharing stories and information to the public. Many reenactors have contacts with WWII veterans that they bring out.

Here is some examples

vetDonMcRell.jpg

All Re-enactors at the Camp Roberts
Cross at Lorraine exercise.

I want to thank you all for an experience of a lifetime. I was proud to be invited to share the weekend, proud to be an American, and proud to be associated with such a fine group of people.

Heretofore I have felt that WWII was a fading bit of history. Few folks today remember or are even aware of that era. Those of us who lived in that time are now passing along with few if anyone to share the memories. There are fewer and fewer as time goes on. We who were in the service are left to wonder if it is even relevant today.

I was delighted when you, Ron, sparked the conversation about the history of that era; the war in Europe and particularly Italy and Sicily . It was exciting to meet and talk with someone who was so deeply knowledgeable. When you later revealed the existence of your re-enactors, it was hard for me to imagine the reality of it.

To me what you folks do is more than a hobby; it brings to life the reality of a very important time in the history of our country. While you are having fun, you are also, at a very basic level, are paying respect to a generation of people who loved their country and were proud of it. I could tell in the enthusiasm of your telling about your hobby, that loyalty and pride in your country was as important as the fun you were having.

It was so moving, and for the first time ever I felt a great big “thank you” for something I neither needed, expected nor wanted, but when many of you said “thank you” I almost cried. Not that I did anything but fill a slot in the T/O, I know you were expressing appreciation for the generation who stepped up to a long tough job. It all adds to my idea of what it means to be an American.

Besides the delight of seeing the enthusiasm with which you have collected the uniforms, equipment and vehicles, I was impressed with the focus on getting it right. So much that came out of Hollywood has been bogus and phony; it turned me off a long time ago. Seeing your respect for the real thing was a real kick.

You are making a contribution to the history of the time.

You were all so warm and welcoming to me, and you all obviously enjoyed one another, it gave the whole week-end a special glow. What a great bunch of people! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And a special thank you to you Ron, for the exhaustive effort in getting uniforms for me; for inviting me to share a week-end with wonderful people, and a memory I’ll treasure always.

Respectfully, Don

Some other examples - Happy vet who found reenactors at an Airshow
P5130043.JPG
P5130046.JPG

Medal Of Honor Winner - Walter D. Ehlers
- who comes out ever chance he gets to the Huntington Beach Fourth of July Parade.
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

Another vet who came out to a Field Reenactment - Leon "Jed" Jedziniak
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG

Another Field Battle Reenactment - Cpt Harold Thompson
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG

Sgt Robert Noody - Signs his thanks for bringing him an his fellow war buddies to a Field Battle Reenactment. Also picture at the table and the event where Don Malarkey, Ed Pepping, Robert Janes, and Bill True

[video=youtube;95nRIdevQdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nRIdevQdw[/video]

Last edited:

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Not all reenactors are fat, 50 year old men. There are lots of non-combat roles that need to be better understood. As we always say, everyone played a part in the war effort. I do general (female) homefront civilian and civilian defense. There are many, many more ways to show how men of all ages, women and even kids did their bit to win the war. We can't all be 22 year old Airborne warriors, but we can find a new way to reenact this important era.

Mary S.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I was at the gun show in Wichita KS today and there were say 10 reenactors. Most in uniform were under 25, which is a good thing. I assume that their parents are footing the bill because reenacting is NOT a cheap sport. Garands are 1095.00 (not from the CMP), Mosin Nagants are $90 to 150 which may be why some of the reenactors are Russians. I didn't check the price of Mausers, but a Japanese WW2 rifle was $650. Everybody complains about old farts reenacting, but the kids don't have the disposable income.

If I find a new job (mine is leaving, but isn't gone yet), I'll start doing the Old West. More room for 50 year olds.

Later

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I have been collecting since high school. My father was in WWII (landed on Omaha Beach, 2nd wave) and Korea.
I now have reached 50 and also retired from the Army. I was approached about a dozen years ago to do a living history presentation in uniform. I was hesitant about how WWII vets may respond to it. I was surprised how much they responded positively to our efforts. I now do Airborne as well as USAAF.
I have made many dear friends through it and with the vets at events and their reunions. I find it very rewarding to do it for them and the generations to come.
Although I can fit the physique of a pilot or trooper, I hold no illusions with my true age.

A good friend told me that there are 2 types that do re-enacting.... one to honor the legacy and remember them through history, and those that do it to make up for failed personal lives. I've met very few of the latter.
Here are links to two of my groups:
www.warbirdslhg.com
www.1stalliedairbornetsg.com

I'm hoping one day to maybe give tours in a museum once our current WWII vets pass the baton...

Last edited:

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I have been a reenactor for over 28 years and have done CW and WW2 USAAF. My father was actually in the USAAF in the pacific with the 13th "Jungle" Air Force. I have always enjoyed taking part. I have not always been on the skinny side though. Never have had a comment from a vet being upset that I was overweight for the role. I always wore my uniform neat and properly. I am the Commander of the NC Wing of the APS and we are building our unit to be an Operations unit to support the other APS units at events. I am on medication at this time and have blown up considerably since and do not feel comfortable portraying air corps at this time. Working to get the weight back off. I personally dont have a problem with people that are overage or over weight reenacting as long as they do the best that they can with respect to veterans. There is a living history area that most people have not thought about that overweight and over age people could take part in. The Civil Air Patrol. I was a member of the modern Civil Air Patrol and have learned about their war history. They carried weapons and carried bombs on their small airplanes to fight the German U-boat threats, as well as doing courier missions, pulling targets at gunnery schools, teaching young cadets, and doing guard duties as well as patrolling the borders for enemy agents and looking for forest fires. They flew several airplanes during the war as well, from civilian to military. I have seen one squadron that had an AT-6 that they used for patrol and also a B-25 with CAP markings. It was configured for transport. Until I can get my weight back down to a more manageable proportion, I may do CAP for awhile. They did have 2 confirmed kills on German subs during the war and several probables. Have also seen WW2 vets portraying their young self at events and dare anyone to tell them that they are to old or to overweight to portray a soldier.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Maybe they are so absorbed by the idea of the war and what it must have been like that they want to in some way capture for themselves the sheer massiveness of it all. How absolutley significant the entire endeavor was. I'm not a reenactor but these are some of the things that make me think about becoming involved with reenacting. Worrying about having everything correct on your uniform may in some way make up for the fact that they can't get the one thing (age) right. But is that something we have to focus our attention on? I have to ask Spitfire, is that you in your avatar with the vintage flight gear on? If so, and I apologize if this offends, but why did you have that picture made? Maybe for the same reason other people reenact. You don't appear to be a spring chicken yourself if that's you.

No - I am certainly not a spring chicken (- more like an ol' cock.)

pilot.jpg

The picture you are referring to was made because I had just bought the helmet, googles and mask to add to my very, very small collection of RAF gear. (Nothing compared to my collection of Battle of Britain and RAF books!) So I thought it could be fun. And I used the picture here, because I think it is within the concept of this forum. As stated somewhere else (I am so old that I can not remember where ;) ) I own both a Irvin jacket, the white RN sweater and a pair of RAF 1936 pattern Flying Boots. I can wear and use it all - but I never (except for photos) wear it all at the same time. Because I would feel like a complete idiot, strolling down main street dressed like that. An impostor even.

But hey - who am I to judge. Some people just do it. And have great fun and a better more interesting life doing it. Others - like myself - don't.
I think we have had a very good and sober discussion here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch