Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yesterday I attended a Jeep Wedding

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Actually I was intimately involved. You could call me a Groomsman...

For five years now my friend Mike has been restoring a WW2 Jeep. Yesterday he and another friend (Donnie) brought the chassis with rebuilt engine and transmission back from the mechanics shop and we fitted the body tub to it. Instead of the typical method of fitting the tub THEN attaching everything that goes on the tub, Mike did the opposite since he had the tub in his garage waiting for months. Hence the crane instead of just picking it up. Twofootdrive was in attendance and intimately involved as well. Below are a couple of pics of the process.
dscn2182.jpg

dscn2184.jpg

Well that was easier then we thought!
dscn2188.jpg

And what's a wedding without cake??
dscn2194.jpg

Running the engine, she passed the nickle test!
dscn2189.jpg

dscn2190.jpg

We made sure to put a wine glass under the drivers front wheel and roll her forward shouting Mazel Tov!! My wife brought a very nice card and threw rice. Then she and Mike's wife made a great dinner of corn-on-the-cob, crabcakes and those yummy tomato and mozzarella snacks.

Matt

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! It looks great. And the crane technique has some historical precedent...

DSC_1431.jpg

Assembling jeeps for the front in a field in Le Cambe, France, in Normandy, 1944.

DSC_1428.jpg

DSC_1429.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very cool! And many happy returns of the day!
A friend of mine sold Jeeps right after the war. He has all sorts of cool pics of insane things they did with them to show their versatility.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Thanks for the replies everybody. Straighteight I especially like those pictures! Very cool to see. I hope to do some more work this weekend on Mike's Jeep. Run the fuel lines, bleed the brakes, install the seats. Should have her running around in about a month now. Then it's off on my quest to find a trailer for it.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Bruce Wayne said:
It looks like you guys had fun but I pray that you replaced the two-piece axle shafts. ;)

I don't think he did. The Jeep is entirely stock with the only modification being a pin-up shifter knob.

As for the debut show... Geneseo is the target show. That will also require a trailer though. Mike has no plans on flat towing it and 350 miles would be a heckuva drive in a Jeep. We'd better start north tomorrow!

Matt

csmiller

New in Town
Geneseo

MPicciotto said:
I don't think he did. The Jeep is entirely stock with the only modification being a pin-up shifter knob.

As for the debut show... Geneseo is the target show. That will also require a trailer though. Mike has no plans on flat towing it and 350 miles would be a heckuva drive in a Jeep. We'd better start north tomorrow!

Matt

My wife and I are planning on attending the airshow at Geneseo that weekend. Maybe we will see you there. I'd love to see the jeep. Looks like an excellent restoration. I'd offer a trailer if I owned one. :(

Craig

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I don't know the name of the gal who drives a Duece and a half but I'd sure like to meet her! Looks like the Jeep won't be going to Geneseo this year. Still lots to do and we haven't had the time to work on it. It's coming along nicely though. Do look us up at Geneseo though, we will be the AAF unit.

Matt

csmiller

New in Town
Geneseo

MPicciotto said:
I don't know the name of the gal who drives a Duece and a half but I'd sure like to meet her! Looks like the Jeep won't be going to Geneseo this year. Still lots to do and we haven't had the time to work on it. It's coming along nicely though. Do look us up at Geneseo though, we will be the AAF unit.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Looking forward to meeting a fellow FL'er. Not sure which day (Saturday or Sunday) we will attend. Mostly depends on the weather.

Craig

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well the Jeep had the driveshafts installed and other myriad details over the last few months. A couple of months ago it was driveable but I hadn't made it over to go for a ride. Until yesterday that it is. Not only did I get to ride shotgun, but after a trip around the neighborhood I got to take the wheel!!

010811141256.jpg

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Another update. It's been just over a year since the wedding and lo and behold. A little baby trailer has come home:

073011115729.jpg

073011140842.jpg

073011140854.jpg

073011140905.jpg

073011164100.jpg

It's a Bantam T-3C from late 45 or early 46. Bantam had been making trailers for the military and then switched to civilian production. The earliest civilian trailers were nearly identical to the military. This trailer is from just after they had used up the remaining military components and had gone to the civilian style. Sharp viewers may pick up on the differences. After some discussion we've decided not to bastardize it by trying to make it something it's not. Instead it will be restored as a civilian trailer but have NDT tires, a lunette ring (bolt on change) and OD paint so as to match the Jeep. That will be sufficient for our military reenacting yet at the same time not devalue the vehicle by modifying it.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112