• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

You golden-era model railroads!

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by p51, Apr 27, 2017.

1. p51

p51 Practically Family

Trackside Model Railroading, an online magazine, is coming over on Saturday to photograph the layout! https://www.tracksidemodelrailroading.com/ this shows what their work looks like: https://www.tracksidemodelrailroading.com/current-free-edition-preview/

I ran into them at a model train show in Seattle last month and showed them photos of what I had. They called last night to ask if they could come by this weekend to do the photography. They do all the work, and I’m really interested in seeing someone else’s take on what I have built. They’ve covered a few layouts around here in the past (the December issue on their website has a cover for a layout in Olympia that I’ve seen a couple of times in person). They’re out of Spokane, so they use a lot of stuff in the northwest corner of the country. They told me they were happy to document a layout with a southeast concept, as they have subscribers around the world. It’s not a free publication, though, so people are going to have to pay for the content to see it. I recently got a CD of a couple of years of their publications, and I liked their work.

David Conwill likes this.
  2. Congratulations, p51! It's always exciting to have your hard work recognized. I used to love reading Model Railroader (a different mag, I recognize, but I'm a print junkie) and if I had any money to spare, I would probably resubscribe.

3. p51

p51 Practically Family

Yep, 2017 has bene good to me in that regard. My model train work has bene featured three times' twice in an online magazine, and once as a feature article in the "On30 Annual" for 2017: http://on30annual.com/current-issue/. Oh, I also got a photo of my Dad's amazing 1/6 scale 14-pounder civil war field gun in the December issue of Fine Scale Modeler.
    Next year, the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette will publish another article of mine on my layout, and this other online publication will as well.
    MR is the only magazine that wasn't receptive to my article ideas. Every other magazine I made a push for said they'd like to see what I had. MR isn't receptive to On30, as they don't appear to consider it a 'scale' track gauge. They also appear to have submissions years out. I've seen articles about layouts and in the profile of the builder, seen that the person who wrote the article had passed away a few years previously. That leads me to believe that they have a backlog of stuff to pick from.

4. p51

p51 Practically Family

I was lining up some trains for a magazine photo shoot on Saturday, and decided to put all three of my wartime-painted ten-wheelers for the first time since I weathered them over a year ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the other end...
    [​IMG]

Bushman and David Conwill like this.
  5. p51

p51 Practically Family

The Trackside Model Railroading magazine shoot went well on Saturday. They were there for about 5 hours and shot still/video the entire time (including a 360 video with a camera shaped like a soccer ball). I'm really looking forward to seeing the end results!
    [​IMG]

3fingers and David Conwill like this.