Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

WOW!

Thanks for all of your expressions of concern. Please forgive the shameless dramatics. It was very late at night, and the incident came as.SOME shock. I honestly feared that it might just be my last post.

That is evidently not going to be the case, thank heaven! I was released from hospital just about anything hour ago. After I arrived at the hospital this morning I was found to have outrageously high blood pressure, which is being blamed for a burst capillary in my larynx. I have been prescribed strong anti-hylertensive drugs (four of them, plus a diuretic) and have been warned to take it easy, frequently check my blood pressure, and NOT TO SING for a while, lest I end up like Leonard Warren.

Again, my deepest appreciation for your concern. I am real!y sorry to have let my problem intrude upon the general serenity of this wonderful group.

Bob.

So glad you have the situation under control. Sounds like some follow up with a trusted doctor is in order, but again, the most important thing is you are still with us and will be for a long time.

Who else would bring all your pre-1930s knowledge and passion to us (not that you don't know later time-periods as well, but you are the expert it seems for the earlier period)? Good luck and please follow up with a good doctor. Best, FF.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
So glad you have the situation under control. Sounds like some follow up with a trusted doctor is in order, but again, the most important thing is you are still with us and will be for a long time.

Who else would bring all your pre-1930s knowledge and passion to us (not that you don't know later time-periods as well, but you are the expert it seems for the earlier period)? Good luck and please follow up with a good doctor. Best, FF.

I leave the latter days to Miss Maine, for who could properly approach her encyclopedic knowledge of those years. Certainly not I.

Thanks. Yes, I will be following up with many items. Most importantly the doctor believes that my hypertension is caused by particularly severe sleep apnea,which can very easily be remedied.

WOW!

Thanks for all of your expressions of concern. Please forgive the shameless dramatics. It was very late at night, and the incident came as SOME shock. I was really frightened. In fact, I honestly feared that it might just be my last post. Just happened to have my pad next to me when this unfortunate incident occurred.

Now that it is evident that I have survived a rather minor though frightening inferentially, I see that I am unlikely to be leaving this sphere just yet,, thank heaven!

I was released from hospital just about an hour ago. After I arrived at the hospital this morning I was found to have outrageously high blood pressure, which is being blamed for a burst capillary in my larynx. I have been prescribed strong anti-hypertensive drugs (four of them, plus a diuretic) and have been warned to take it easy, frequently check my blood pressure, and NOT TO SING for a while, lest I end up like Leonard Warren.

Again, my deepest appreciation for your concern. I am real!y sorry to have let my problem intrude upon the general serenity of this wonderful group.

Bob.

Don't apologize, man. You're among the people who keep the conversation on a reasonably civil and informative plane around here. You set a fine example, and we'd be much the worse without you.

Don't sing!

WOW!

Thanks for all of your expressions of concern. Please forgive the shameless dramatics. It was very late at night, and the incident came as SOME shock. I was really frightened. In fact, I honestly feared that it might just be my last post...Again, my deepest appreciation for your concern. I am real!y sorry to have let my problem intrude upon the general serenity of this wonderful group.

Bob.
Not at all. I think your reaction to the situation was completely reasonable, and I'm pleased to hear your doctor appears to have put you on a path towards better health.

Your comment about your doctor's advice to not sing brings to mind a story told by musician/singer/songwriter Tom Waits, whose gravelly voice and all-out singing style was apparently cause for concern:

Doctor: "You can't go on singing like that. You're going to end up like Frank Sinatra."
Waits: "You mean rich and powerful?"

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You and Whispering Jack Smith!
I don't think that Smith died onstage of a throat haemorrhage, did he? Poor Warren was onstage in a performance of Forza del Destiny, having just sung Morir, tremenda cosa ( To Die, a Momentus Thing) when he fell face down on the floor, gasped "Help me!" as a pool of blood spread in the view of the audience as the curtain came down.

I hope never to have that sense of drama. I would hope to die peacefully, in my sleep, like Grandpa. Not screaming in horror like his passengers. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana