Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Those old VW microbuses were the worst for that. I had a couple of 'em, and I'm here to tell anyone within earshot that those 36- and 40-horsepower jobs especially were ill-suited to American limited-access highway use. If you weren't ready to steer out of it, you'd get sucked in to the wake of passing semis. Driving those things was like driving kites.

I spent my adolescence driving a Flivver. 20 horsepower, brakes which were mere suggestions, and extremely quick steering. I still always look for a "bail out spot" whenever I am driving in traffic.

I spent my adolescence driving a Flivver. 20 horsepower, brakes which were mere suggestions, and extremely quick steering. I still always look for a "bail out spot" whenever I am driving in traffic.
I remember trying to pass a big semi on the Autobahn in Germany with my 60's Volkswagen van...I spotted headlights a few K's in the distance closing fast. Before I could get past the semi I had headlights feet off my rear bumper with nowhere to escape. With his high beams flashing on/off after what seemed like forever I was finally able to get clear of the semi. I think that was the first and last time I attempted to pass anything but a horse and buggy.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember trying to pass a big semi on the Autobahn in Germany with my 60's Volkswagen van...I spotted headlights a few K's in the distance closing fast. Before I could get past the semi I had headlights feet off my rear bumper with nowhere to escape. With his high beams flashing on/off after what seemed like forever I was finally able to get clear of the semi. I think that was the first and last time I attempted to pass anything but a horse and buggy.

After a days work driving the TV news vehicle to cover events,
when I’m off the job and I want to go somewhere.
I’ll drive my '50s beetle or ’46 truck at a very leisurely pace.
Speed or rushing is not a priority, I’ll get there when I get there, no matter how long it takes.

After a days work driving the TV news vehicle to cover events,
when I’m off the job and I want to go somewhere.
I’ll drive my '50s beetle or ’46 truck at a very leisurely pace.
Speed or rushing is not a priority, I’ll get there when I get there, no matter how long it takes.
I had in order, 65 Bug, 59 Ghia, 68 Van, and my fave of all time a cobalt blue 1967 almost fully restored it. Sad day when the engine mounts rusted out and it was a danger to drive. Can't remember how many times I ran out of gas as I had used the extra gas lever and forgot. Sinking feeling to try to flip the lever only to realize it was already flipped and I was truly out of gas.
The 68 Van and 67 Bug both had rudimentary gas gauges.

I had in order, 65 Bug, 59 Ghia, 68 Van, and my fave of all time a cobalt blue 1967 almost fully restored it. Sad day when the engine mounts rusted out and it was a danger to drive. Can't remember how many times I ran out of gas as I had used the extra gas lever and forgot. Sinking feeling to try to flip the lever only to realize it was already flipped and I was truly out of gas.
The 68 Van and 67 Bug both had rudimentary gas gauges.
I had one of those "reservoir" levers on my '61 Beetle and it came in handy a few times, but you had to be sure the inside of your gas tank was clean because any sediment would settle in that reservoir and the moment you flipped that lever it would get sucked into your fuel system and clog it up.

I'd love to own a VW Bus--preferably a split window, but a bay would do nicely. But as I get older and they get fewer, the prices far exceed my grasp. :(

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to own a VW Bus--preferably a split window, but a bay would do nicely. But as I get older and they get fewer, the prices far exceed my grasp. :(
When I was in my teens I coveted the 1940's MG sports cars. Truth be told I probably thought that it would impress the ladies. Then life got in the way and the sports car got forgotten. A lifetime on, with retirement spare time on my hands, the reminisce of that sports car returned. But, being in a wonderful relationship did I really want to upset that with a babe magnet? Best to get something similar but a little more staid, one that the young ladies wouldn't look twice at.
MG-TC 1948.jpg jessica & the models.jpg

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Although over the years I've seen many relatively rare and interesting cars, I still find the Rover 2000 and 3500 series the most attractive. The 3500 had a V8 and was a wonderful high-speed car, not that you could really do that risk-free anywhere that I know of. They were very solid cars, too, but like most British cars back then, they could be troublesome. I haven't seen one in ages. British cars from that period that are still in good condition probably only get brought out on nice days and taken to car shows.

Possibly the rarest car I've ever seen was a Bristol, which had a Chrysler V-8. That was 40 years ago at least. Morgans are still imported but I haven't seen one of them for years, either. I think they used to have the same engine the Rover 3500 had. And to think that I can remember seeing new ones in the showroom.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The thing I loved most about my Beetle was that when it skidded off the road and into a ditch in the winter, I could shove it out myself and be on my way again in minutes. I cried when the road salt finally got it, and it broke in half.

Even without "road salt", you
probably know that the beetle is
prone to rust, especially the floorboard.
Replacements are available.

Having a beetle mechanic pal helps
with upkeep of the engine and body
parts.
My condolences.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Tell you what Scotty, download this image and keep it as a screen saver, just to remind you of your ambition. Perhaps you too might enjoy a retirement toy when the time comes.
View attachment 81438

Thanks for that. :)

And just for poo-poos and hahas, I typed 'mgb poster' in to google and got some cool stuff.

I think my first real British car search, when the time comes, will be for a steel-bumpered MG Midget, as they are essentially the same as the 2nd gen Sprite, and much more readily available here than the Sprite version, although there aren't a whole lot of Midgets left either.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Even without "road salt", you
probably know that the beetle is
prone to rust, especially the floorboard.
Replacements are available.

Having a beetle mechanic pal helps
with upkeep of the engine and body
parts.
My condolences to you !

I keep telling myself I'm going to learn to weld. My bug doesn't need it now, but will eventually. Once it snows, it's put away, though.

Even without "road salt", you probably know that the beetle is prone to rust, especially the floorboard...
Not just rust. Several years ago I went to see a movie with two friends, one of whom had a beautiful '63 Beetle with a ragtop sunroof. While we were in the theater it had not only rained, but rained hard enough to cause some flooding on the local streets. I was sitting in the back seat on the trip home, and as he drove through a rather large puddle a wave of water suddenly flowed from under the back seat, washing over him and the other friend sitting up front. For those who don't know, on the older air-cooled VW Beetles the battery is stored under the back seat. In this case acid from the battery had eaten through the floor pan, and when he hit that puddle the water pressure pulled that "seam" open (and then some), effectively turning the floor pan into a scoop. He subsequently had a friend weld a new piece of sheet metal in place to replace the section that had been damaged, insulated it and installed a plastic battery tray that was resistant to acid, and the car was good as new. He also had to replace the battery, which had fallen through that hole in the floor pan and dragged on the road the rest of the way home. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Not just rust. Several years ago I went to see a movie with two friends, one of whom had a beautiful '63 Beetle with a ragtop sunroof. While we were in the theater it had not only rained, but rained hard enough to cause some flooding on the local streets. I was sitting in the back seat on the trip home, and as he drove through a rather large puddle a wave of water suddenly flowed from under the back seat, washing over him and the other friend sitting up front. For those who don't know, on the older air-cooled VW Beetles the battery is stored under the back seat. In this case acid from the battery had eaten through the floor pan, and when he hit that puddle the water pressure pulled that "seam" open (and then some), effectively turning the floor pan into a scoop. He subsequently had a friend weld a new piece of sheet metal in place to replace the section that had been damaged, insulated it and installed a plastic battery tray that was resistant to acid, and the car was good as new. He also had to replace the battery, which had fallen through that hole in the floor pan and dragged on the road the rest of the way home. :D

My first beetle also was a '63.
I could see the road underneath by the gas pedal floorboard.

The windshield wipers were just a token
when it would rain.

I carried a towel.
My left hand cleared the windshield wiper and my right on the steering wheel.
Somehow I managed to get to work.
That motor always started in all kinds of weather!

I keep telling myself I'm going to learn to weld. My bug doesn't need it now, but will eventually. Once it snows, it's put away, though.
Not being a welder I cheated and bolted a stainless steel sheet to the few noncorroded spots of the floor panel.. Managed to hammer it into the right shape/contour and with some sealant had a reasonably good stainless floor for my bug.

EngProf

Practically Family
I'm at the stage of deciphering the many
types of "welds" available and which is
best suited for home use regarding my
VW beetle.
Chances are you will be better off getting oxygen & acetylene tanks and *brazing* the repair panels in.
Learning to arc-weld on very thin and rusty steel would be a very difficult task.

I have been welding for several decades and I wouldn't want to try the arc-welding method on such metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff