Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think you have your next picture opportunity for the "Things That Make Me Smile" thread.

I've thought about that!
Last time I sent this out...
(Kool kat)
46B7CE50-317B-4DAF-BAA5-7E2EBA708612.jpeg

He now is thinking of hiring an agent and wants royalties
if I post anymore of his image in forums.
But refuses to pose for facebook! :D

Last edited:
But on the other side, I think, it's normal, not to sleep through, when you drank really enough through the day (2 to 2 1/2 litres). Normally, the bladder wakes me up after six hours. If I would sleep through (circa 7 hours), I would have drank not enough, through the day.

But this is the advantage of a smaller rental-flat (47,1 m²). Bathroom is just a couple of meters away. ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
But on the other side, I think, it's normal, not to sleep through, when you drank really enough through the day (2 to 2 1/2 litres). Normally, the bladder wakes me up after six hours. If I would sleep through (circa 7 hours), I would have drank not enough, through the day.

But this is the advantage of a smaller rental-flat (47,1 m²). Bathroom is just a couple of meters away. ;)

Water very important. No kidding.

I dranked far too much Dr. Pepper
instead of water.
I now have bottled water (Perrier...
prefer glass instead of plastic)
which I keep by my bedside and desks.

You could trip and fall exiting our bedroom and would land in our "master" bathroom because it's so close. But I still walk to the opposite end of our house to use the "half" bathroom because the master bathroom doubles as our dog's bedroom and I don't want to disturb him in the middle of the night just so I can urinate. If only he'd extend the same courtesy... o_O

By the way, six hours? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but before you know it you'll be counting your blessings if you can get two hours of sleep before "the call of nature" wakes you up. :mad:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
By the way, six hours? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but before you know it you'll be counting your blessings if you can get two hours of sleep before "the call of nature" wakes you up. :mad:

I find that I require less sleep now than
30 years ago.

But besides eating small portions throughout the day instead of the usual
3 a day, I also take naps throughout the day.
Some call them "power-naps".

I don't have a set time for any of this.

It can happen at anyti.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzz

Last edited:
That is a GREAT photo.....!!

Sorry for a wikipedia link ... I'm lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link

350px-OW_Link%2C_Hotshot_Eastbound.jpg

Ogle Winston Link (December 16, 1914 – January 30, 2001).

Hotshot Eastbound (1956), taken at the drive-in theater in Iaeger, West Virginia, was used in Link's book Steam, Steel & Stars. This is one of Link's best-known photographs.

Link's images were always meticulously set up and posed, and he chose to take most of his railroad photographs at night. He said "I can't move the sun — and it's always in the wrong place — and I can't even move the tracks, so I had to create my own environment through lighting." Although others, including Philip Hastings and Jim Shaughnessy, had photographed locomotives at night before, Link's vision required him to develop new techniques for flash photography of such large subjects. For instance, the movie theater image Hotshot Eastbound (Iaeger, West Virginia), photographed on August 2, 1956 [negative NW1103], used 42 #2 flashbulbs and one #0 fired simultaneously. Link, with an assistant such as George Thom, had to lug all his equipment into position and wire it up: this was done in series so any failure would prevent a picture being taken at all; and in taking night shots of moving trains the right position for the subject could only be guessed at. Link used a 4 x 5 Graphic View view camera with black and white film, from which he produced silver gelatin prints.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for a wikipedia link ... I'm lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link

350px-OW_Link%2C_Hotshot_Eastbound.jpg

Ogle Winston Link (December 16, 1914 – January 30, 2001).

Hotshot Eastbound (1956), taken at the drive-in theater in Iaeger, West Virginia, was used in Link's book Steam, Steel & Stars. This is one of Link's best-known photographs.

Link's images were always meticulously set up and posed, and he chose to take most of his railroad photographs at night. He said "I can't move the sun — and it's always in the wrong place — and I can't even move the tracks, so I had to create my own environment through lighting." Although others, including Philip Hastings and Jim Shaughnessy, had photographed locomotives at night before, Link's vision required him to develop new techniques for flash photography of such large subjects. For instance, the movie theater image Hotshot Eastbound (Iaeger, West Virginia), photographed on August 2, 1956 [negative NW1103], used 42 #2 flashbulbs and one #0 fired simultaneously. Link, with an assistant such as George Thom, had to lug all his equipment into position and wire it up: this was done in series so any failure would prevent a picture being taken at all; and in taking night shots of moving trains the right position for the subject could only be guessed at. Link used a 4 x 5 Graphic View view camera with black and white film, from which he produced silver gelatin prints.

Great info Bob!

Yep, power-naps are one of the best inventions. You lay down, fall asleep for circa an half hour and when you wake up, slowly, you go that autistic perseption for some moments, before the body is back on the full power. But the relaxation after the nap is so great.

You know you are getting old when the local "classic rock" radio station is playing metal and grunge from when you were in middle school and high school. :mad:
That ship sailed for me when the classic rock stations started playing Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and the other groups that were popular in the mid-70s. Now they're playing music from the 90s for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
When the young lady ringing you up at the store or restaurant calls you “sweetie pie.”

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory. – unknown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui