Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

rjb1

Practically Family
I started becoming old when I noticed that I had literally never heard of either the hosts or musical guests on "Saturday Night Live". (and didn't care who they were, either)

Reactions: Ed

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
(My 91 year old Mother) "What do you mean, that's not my drinking glass, I knew I left my teeth in it last night"! (She HAS no false teeth).....:eeek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when there are people younger than you who don't know how to use the technology that you did when you were growing up.

Typewriters.
Rotary phones.
Walkmans.
Film cameras.

I could go on and on.

You know you're getting old when you make a cultural reference in everyday speech, and then have to stop and explain it to people around you.

Huertecilla

Banned
You know you're getting old when there are people younger than you who don't know how to use the technology that you did when you were growing up.

Typewriters.
Rotary phones.
Walkmans.
Film cameras.

I could go on and on.

No TV
No max speed on the highways
A ´veldwachter´ as local cop.
Getting coal from the shed to fuel the single stove in the house.
Frozen breath on your blanket in the morning.
6 Volt dynamo made by The Prince of Darkness on your daily transport.
Milk in glass bottles left at the doorstep early in the morning, in place of the empty ones put out there in the evening.

That is not realy pérsonal though. Just relative.

The reality of time hits home when an attractive young woman calls you ´Sir´.

Some time later this come the next phase when the ten year younger women you date have grand children, are called ´granny´ because they áre. Over here I can at least delude myself with teenage pregnancies ;)

The REAL ´old´ however resides between your ears and as long as you lover, looking you in the eyes whispers that she can see the boy in you, you are not there yet :eusa_clap

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In the case of my grandmother - You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.

If she was alive today (and she died just 3 years ago), my grandmother would be 100 years old next month.

You know you're getting old when you tell younger people to do something which makes no sense with current technology. My grandmother used to tell me to wind up the clocks each day, despite the fact that we didn't have a single mechanical one in the house.

3fingers

One Too Many
You know you're getting old when an entire generation of people you knew when you were young have vanished from the face of the earth.
I think of this one a lot. I'm a year short of 50 and many of my friends are dead. I've worked with older people and had them as customers since I was in high school, and mostly in some type of service field, so I have been going to funerals for people not in my family for over 30 years. It breaks my heart how many fine people that taught me so much or were kind to me as a young man are no longer here. Then again, there may have been a couple of visitations I went to only to confirm the old buzzard was really dead.

You know you're getting old when the whole social media thing makes about as much sense as . . . well, it makes no sense whatsoever.
:pound:

There was a scene in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in which Indy is lamenting the loss of both his father and his friend/fellow archaeologist, and the Dean of the college responds to this by saying, "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away." You know you're getting old when you realize this applies to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm