Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I looked up 50 ways to tell that you're getting old. Number one was: "Feeling stiff." Huh! I should be so lucky.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
wrathofgod_zps945a7950.jpg

...The reality of time hits home when an attractive young woman calls you ´Sir´...
A few years ago I was browsing in a local book store when I ran into the guy who has been my best friend for the last 40 years or so. When we got to the front counter to pay for our respective selections, the attractive young lady standing behind it had noticed us engaged in conversation the entire time we were waiting, and handled our transactions simultaneously with a fair amount of friendly banter between the three of us. As we were walking towards the exit, my friend turned to me and said, "You know, I used to think they were flirting with me, until a few months ago when I realized they were just being nice to the old guy." lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've been playing pick-up basketball from childhood and since uniforms aren't worn and names are often unknown, physical characteristcs or playing style are used in reference to players. Big, little, white, black, fat, long hair, bald, bearded, young, old, etc. Or dribbler, shooter, lefty, hook shot, fast guy, set shot, rebounder, etc. For years and years I was referred to as the shooter or the lefty. Nowadays I'm hearing the old guy more than anything else. Heard just the other day, "You cover the old dude but watch him cuz he can shoot it." Oh well.........

Huertecilla

Banned
"You know, I used to think they were flirting with me, until a few months ago when I realized they were just being nice to the old guy." lol

Good point and very realistic.
I am all too conscious of that as I lóve to make a bit of fun and sort of ´flirt´.
There is a vague area though.
The point is that when you get older the ´girls´ in the shop are covering a wide age span of easily two generations.
The pigtails obviously are in the being nice category but their mothers are a different story. They can be either doing their job or réally flirting. I was totally flabbergasted when one responded ´Yes, I am free tonight and would lóve to go out with you!´
The default will be the nice-to-the-old-guy but boy do I treasure the idea ;)

...Heard just the other day, "You cover the old dude but watch him cuz he can shoot it." Oh well.........
At least they didn't say, "You cover the old dude, but watch him 'cuz he dribbles." lol

...The point is that when you get older the ´girls´ in the shop are covering a wide age span of easily two generations.
The pigtails obviously are in the being nice category but their mothers are a different story. They can be either doing their job or réally flirting...
True, though in my experience the actual flirting has been few and far between; I guess I've never been the kind of guy women were lining up for. Besides, I'm fairly certain my wife of 32 years (and counting) might have something to say about advances being made towards me. ;) I'm sometimes flirtatious with our close female friends, but they all know it's harmless, good-natured fun that won't lead to anything further--it's just one of my ways of expressing my affection for them and my appreciation that they're in my life.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
You know you're getting old when you're standing in the grocery store checkout line...thinking of something to say to the pretty cashier that will start a conversation...and she asks you if you are eligible for the senior citizen discount.

AF

...and she asks you if you are eligible for the senior citizen discount.
A couple of years ago I went to a matinee at a local movie theater with the friend I mentioned in post #48. We approached the two ticket windows at the same time, each asked for one ticket for whatever movie we wanted to see (I can't recall which movie it was), and were each told the price for the tickets at the same time, except his ticket was $1 less than mine. He glanced at me, then looked back at the ticket vendor (who happened to be the manager) and asked why there was a difference in price. Without hesitation, the manager replied, "Oh, I gave you the senior citizen discount."

Now, my friend is five months younger than I am (we're both currently 52 years old), but he's a bit heavier and started losing his hair just after graduating from high school; imagine Rob Reiner with red hair. When he heard the words "senior citizen discount" he got visibly upset and, admittedly, I didn't help matters by laughing at the humor of the situation. Thinking quickly, the manager explained he'd seen my friend at the theater often and wanted to give him a discount, but had to enter it into the computer somehow and that the senior citizen discount was the simplest way to do so. After this he "gave the nod" instructing the young lady at my window to give me the same discount, but the damage had already been done and my friend continued to fume as we entered the theater, walked through the lobby, and entered the line to get beverages and what not, with me attempting to calm him down the entire time. I finally told him, "I don't care what they call it as long as I get a discount. Look at it this way--now you have an extra buck to spend on popcorn." He thought about it for a moment and realized he had overreacted, but in his defense this was the first time this had happened to him; it wasn't my first time at that particular rodeo, so I just shrugged it off. We laugh about it now, but at the time I thought he was going to have a stroke. lol

So, I suppose you know you're getting old when people just assume you're eligible for the senior citizen discount, even though you're still more than a decade shy of that benchmark.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Don't get me started on Senior Discounts. They're the main reason why I don't like working the box office window, and will go to great lengths to find someone else to do it. Our population here has a median age of about 47, and our Senior Discount qualification is age 65. An awful lot of the 47 year olds around here *look* 65 -- my sister is four years younger than me, and looks about 70 -- so it's tempting to just assume everyone is 65 or older unless they tell you otherwise. But then you have the outofstaters who come up here to show off their Botox and their eyejobs and their chin tucks and whatever else they've had done, and they get offended if you *assume* they're 65 and give them the discount. But after you apologize, they demand the discount anyway.

On top of all that, senior discounts are the bunk. I really get irritated having someone wearing jewelry that costs more than I make in a year give me a hard time about wanting a dollar off on a movie ticket just because they're 65.

And then there's the people who complain that the senior discount age at the place down the street is 62 or even 60, while we insist on 65. Sometimes I'll suggest to such customers that *those people* might think they're old, but *we* certainly don't.

Last edited:
On top of all that, senior discounts are the bunk. I really get irritated having someone wearing jewelry that costs more than I make in a year give me a hard time about wanting a dollar off on a movie ticket just because they're 65.

Sounds like one of my neighbours whose one of the cheapest people I've ever met. He plays the Senior Discount game like a virtuoso. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Are you getting old if you don't do text speak? In my case it's because I don't understand it. My Godson included BTW in a message, he cracked up when I asked if that meant bring the wheelchair. Then again, I am somewhat naive about abbreviations, hadn't a clue what MILF was, quite shocked when it was explained. There was me thinking it was a: Meal I'd like to forget. When Godson got my message about BTW he sent anther back to me. ROLF. This too had to be explained, I told him that he forgot the suffix CGUA. It beat him, I'm not surprised, I made it up. Told him that Roll over laughing on the floor should be followed by: Can't get up again.

Huertecilla

Banned
True, though in my experience the actual flirting has been few and far between; I guess I've never been the kind of guy women were lining up for. Besides, I'm fairly certain my wife of 32 years (and counting) might have something to say about advances being made towards me. ;) I'm sometimes flirtatious with our close female friends, but they all know it's harmless, good-natured fun that won't lead to anything further--it's just one of my ways of expressing my affection for them and my appreciation that they're in my life.

I was together for 23 crazy years when she was killed in a racing accident.
This day I am álmost at the 14th anniversary with a wonderfull woman who has given me a man´s dream son.
Neither of these loves nor I have even made an issue of third party flirting/advances or what. Yes indeed; it is very complimentuous and there is imo no need to justify/limit the extent Alexander: Even if it woúld lead further it is all about consenting parties. Honesty, integrity and feedom of choice are the key ingredients imo and the rest is between parties. After all, only about a third of the different societies described in the anthropological encyclopedia are/were monogamous and even thát only serial. This is reflected in the three semetic religions; judaism, christianity and islam, too.

I am 58 btw ;)
but my son says that I ám about 35 in an older body :D

I will be feeling véry young this afternoon as The Hat Lady is coming over and ´my´gf is making pizza with slow roasted wine tomatoes, caramelised with honey. The tomatoes from our veggie plot, the honey from a neighbour.
Good thing the weather is improving so I can pretend not to be cojo, álmost :eek:

Huertecilla

Banned
Don't get me started on Senior Discounts.

Your experiences are a sad illustration that wisdom does nót come with age.
Respect for the elderly simply because they got old is thus an anachronism from the time that old age was only achieved because of wisdom.

Senior discounts are furthermore a bit questionable as many senior citizens have fár more disposable income than most youngsters and many western societies have a serious age imbalance. Your observation about the expensive bracelet versus your earning is representative.

My sympathies for the hard time the well off penny counters give you. One positive thing; it sure must make you feel young and enlightened :eusa_clap

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When I was about 50 I saw an ad in the paper for computer lessons or internet lessons for "seniors over 45". So I took that as my bench mark and started asking for senior discounts.

I soon found if the clerk was young enough I got them but if they were 30 or older they would say "you don't look like a senior" to which my reply was "I take vitamins".

Huertecilla

Banned
When I was about 50 I saw an ad in the paper for computer lessons or internet lessons for "seniors over 45". So I took that as my bench mark and started asking for senior discounts.

I soon found if the clerk was young enough I got them but if they were 30 or older they would say "you don't look like a senior" to which my reply was "I take vitamins".

Nice!! illustration of the relativities.
Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112