Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when: you want to know, does the senior discount start at 55 or 65!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Are you getting old if you don't do text speak? In my case it's because I don't understand it. My Godson included BTW in a message, he cracked up when I asked if that meant bring the wheelchair. Then again, I am somewhat naive about abbreviations, hadn't a clue what MILF was, quite shocked when it was explained. There was me thinking it was a: Meal I'd like to forget. When Godson got my message about BTW he sent anther back to me. ROLF. This too had to be explained, I told him that he forgot the suffix CGUA. It beat him, I'm not surprised, I made it up. Told him that Roll over laughing on the floor should be followed by: Can't get up again.

I've never sent or received a text in my life, and I doubt that I ever will. I have, however, sent and received telegrams, which had their own distinctive system of coded language. MSG RCVD PROP OK PLS RSPD COLL IF NCSRY

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When my dad was getting up in years his answer to a specific question about his age would invariably be, " Let me put it this way, I don’t buy green bananas anymore."

I've never sent or received a text in my life, and I doubt that I ever will. I have, however, sent and received telegrams, which had their own distinctive system of coded language. MSG RCVD PROP OK PLS RSPD COLL IF NCSRY

Telegram code and "textspeak" are essentially the same thing, born out of the same necessity...to save characters when transmitting the message. In fact, you'll find the same words used in both such as the "MSG" and "PLS" you mention above.

On a related side note...one of the characteristics of both is the elimination of the vowels in the written form, making them a sort of abjad derivation, where the vowel is implied but not written, similar to some written languages, particularly in the Middle East.

Huertecilla

Banned
While I do send text messages from time to time, I only do so in proper english. I refuse to stoop to text shorthand of any kind.

I refuse to txt.
I refuse to watsap.
I refuse to facebook.
I refuse to use the phone for more than to the point messages.
I refuse to take a mobile phone as extra limb and VERY few have the number AND know not to use it unless urgent and even then it is hit or miss as I don't carry it around for 95% of my waking time.
Exceptions to the above confirm the rule.
I prefer meeting with people in person.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
You know you're getting old when everyone who talks about getting old is fifteen years younger than you are.

Last edited:

green papaya

One Too Many
you know your getting old when old ladies at the supermarket start noticing you and smile and the young ladies dont pay attention to you like they use to

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

The funniest and sadist telegram I ever read, was sent by a Barnstormer to his notoriously cheap boss back in the late 20s. It read: “Swede cranked prop. Prop killed Swede. Send new prop.”

You know you're getting old when you stop talking about the times you took acid and start talking about how many times you have to take antacid. :hippie:
old.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112