Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Beauty Secrets...Revealed!

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
The Cancer Council of Australia has pointed out that the amount of foundation with SPF you would have to use to have any reasonable level of sun protection would mean layering and layering it on like a paste, so it is not really practical. Not 100% sure about tinted moisturiser, but it is worth a thought. Perhaps you are better off with a sunscreen base.

I am another person who uses the oil cleansing method, and it really does make a difference (I used to use a MAC cleaning oil, now just mix my own oils like the link- much cheaper). I have combination facial skin. About once a week I scrub all over with a mix of sugar and olive oil or rice bran oil. Feels fantastic, but you have to make sure you clean out the bath-tub/shower stall afterwards so the next person doesn't slip on the oil!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
jayem said:
Having been on a salmon diet for the past month (eating salmon at least 5 times a week), I've noticed my skin has been glowing. The omega fatty acids really do the body good... inside and out.

I'm sorry to be off topic here:
Are you considering the amounts of heavy metals that salmon and other big, fat fish like it contain? I love salmon and it's definitely good for you, but perhaps not in huge amounts.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Medvssa said:
My skin is dry, it used to be perfect but not anymore ;)

The best single thing I've ever dome for my skin is the oil cleansing method. It is explained here.

It is easy, it is cheap, it is effective (better than any other cleansing method/product I ahve ever tried, and I have tried high end!) removing even the heaviest makeup, and my skin loves it. It works for almost all skin types. I really recommend it.
If your skin is sensitive, it is better to use a flannel instead of a towel though.

We actually have a huuuuuge thread on OCM on the board! A lot of us have tried it. Didn't work for me, but it was fun for awhile. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Vitamins:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3181120&cp=&sr=1&kw=hair+skin+nails&origkw=hair+skin+nails&parentPage=search

My lips crack and bleed when I don't take them.

As for sun protection, I put on Olay sun block, then foundation, year round. I've never been a sunbather. I'm nearly age 40, and I don't think I look it.

People who want the benefits of omega fatty acids without the metals might try flaxseed. It's good in oatmeal or muffins. I give my dog a spoonful every day and it really helps her with...umm...well, it's easier for her to go outside. :eek:

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
We actually have a huuuuuge thread on OCM on the board! A lot of us have tried it. Didn't work for me, but it was fun for awhile. :)

Oops :eek: yes, I saw the OCM thread after posting here :D

jayem

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
I'm sorry to be off topic here:
Are you considering the amounts of heavy metals that salmon and other big, fat fish like it contain? I love salmon and it's definitely good for you, but perhaps not in huge amounts.

I've done my research. 5 times a week isn't nearly as large of an amount as most of the salmon dieter's recommend. Plus, with these fantastic results (I feel better, I look better, and I've lost weight), I'm not too worried about anything.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Best body scrub ever: coffee grounds!

If you want to make it moisturizing, add coconut oil. This is superb!

If you want to make it even more fancy, add some sugar and/or lemon juice. But really, just coffee grounds + coconut oil makes for a heavenly scrub that costs next to nothing.

Lorena B

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:
Ohhh...
I have had my bottle since.. ohh I have no clue.. 2 years.. and its only half gone.. Love the Stuff :)

LelaV, Please, you will need to check the product expiring date, Two years is a long time and most of the cosmetics and creams happen to have between 6 months or a year of use after been opened!!!

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Some of my faves:

Use old conditioner as shaving gel---gets me a really close shave!

Sugar mixed with cleanser is a good facial scrub!

I'm in love with MAC Blacktrack Fluidline gel liner. I love most MAC products but I'd never be without this one!

I've got oily, acne prone skin BTW.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
vampygirl13 said:
Some of my faves:

Sugar mixed with cleanser is a good facial scrub!

I'm in love with MAC Blacktrack Fluidline gel liner. I love most MAC products but I'd never be without this one!

I've got oily, acne prone skin BTW.

Hey, I do the exact same thing with conditioner and sugar! The conditioner is thick, a little slippery and is a good skin protector.

My most recent trick is to apply a soft powder (I use Burt's Bees) to my lips before applying red lipstick (then blot, and one more swipe of the lipstick) - it keeps it from running, the color doesn't change and it lasts most of the day.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I bought a big ol' tub of plain coconut oil in the baking aisle and I use that instead of lotion for my legs, arms, etc. It doesn't smell like anything, but one could add essential oils. I just left it plain to keep costs down. As for my face, I'm still using the oil cleansing method...I no longer need a separate moisturizer.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
vampygirl13 said:

Yes, yes, yes, this is brilliant! I always use fragrance free conditioner when shaving my legs, works better than anything else!

StaceFace, coconut oil is just brilliant overall, isn't it!

cecil

A-List Customer
I've got a couple.

If you are prone to razor burn, shave with an oil rather than a soap or foam. I like a water-dispersible oil like Alpha Keri oil because it gums the razor a bit less, but Somersets shaving oil or plain ole baby oil work fine. Now that i've switched i'd never go back to anything remotely foamy, it's drying and awful and makes me itchy and bumpy.

Honey plus sugar as a face mask. Honey is great for skin because it's naturally antibacterial and the sugar exfoliates as you wash it off.

If you have acne-prone skin, only wear makeup for special occasions! I swore that because i was using oil-free, non-comedogenic makeup that my acne wasn't being worsened but then I stopped wearing makeup every day. This was hard for me at first but I'm used to it. I pretty much just wear makeup on the weekends now. My skin so good that i get compliments on it now, and it saves time and money.

DameIniquitous

New in Town
The products I swear by

Benefit Thrrrrob blusher

Benefit Posie Tint for days when red lippy won't happen

Smashbox primer (best investment ever)

And the vitamins I take everyday.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture7.png

I LOVE THIS STUFF.

Use sparingly, and it makes your face so soft and supple. I generally use it after my evening face wash before bed. It smells divine :)

LD

Lorena B

Practically Family
Since I moved to The Netherlands I have been getting a rash on my left side of the face. Nothing too alarming but definitely not very esthetic.

I dont really know what it is but I am blaming the tap water as maybe is too hard

So I started using water of roses for washing my face and Witch Hazel in alternative days, and I use bioil and my face cream from Boot N7 in the same way, alternatively, one day one and the following day the other.
The redness of several months has gone and so have done the spots! and my skin is back to normal plus i must say some extra improving :)
So I definitely recommend this rut.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
StaceFace said:
I bought a big ol' tub of plain coconut oil in the baking aisle and I use that instead of lotion for my legs, arms, etc.

Coconut oil is also fantastic for the hair! Sometimes I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment at night, on dry hair, and shampoo the next morning as usual .You can use it once a week or once every 2 or 3 weeks depending on your needs. It tames and nourishes the hair ... and its very cheap. :) I buy the organic,solid, unrefined cream at my local health food shop.

One word of warning, it works best if your hair is strong and thick, otherwise it might leave you a little bit too oily. For finer hair i would use the smallest amount only at the ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot