Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your complete 4-part country solution...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Here’s the story.

In 1916, just four years after opening his Los Angeles haberdashery, Alexander & Oviatt, James Oviatt designed (or so he claimed) a jacket model called the “San Gabriel”. It quickly became very popular among Hollywood’s early movie stars, among them Douglas Fairbanks Sr. and Rudolph Valentino…Using imported British fabrics, Alexander & Oviatt manufactured and sold versions of the “San Gabriel” into the 1930s. Here is a 1921 advertisement for that year’s version:

SanGabrielsuitcopy.jpg

I believe that the suit shown below might be a late ‘20s or early ‘30s version of James Oviatt’s “San Gabriel”. (I should be able to determine this when the suit arrives.) How appropriate it would be, then, to wear it with Alexander & Oviatt socks, and with a style of shoe made famous in the ‘20s by golfing legend Bobby Jones, James Oviatt’s good friend and frequent golf partner.

$%28KGrHqN,%21pcE8WsBfnqBBPH2huJo1g%7E%7E60_32.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
so still not a British belt-back. i might have known !
are you saying it's an original Oviatt's or an Oviatt's imitation ?

Not sure. Alexander & Oviatt imported all of their woolens --including Shetland wool-- from England, Scotland, Ireland, etc., but manufactured their suits and sportcoats in Los Angeles. An inspection of the suit should help me to answer your question.

I'll be receiving the suit today or tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I saw that set when it was first posted and thought it was lovely... I am sucker for plus fours and action backs. Not my size at all and if it were it would have really gone for a high price!

Marc glad you got it and I am looking forward to more photos! Any luck on the shoes?
I like wearing my plus fours with split toe bluchers or le Chameau rubber boots.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The Shetland tweed suit has arrived ... it is astonishing ... it is British-made. (Not "Alexander & Oviatt", alas.) The cap needs to be stretched slightly; not a problem. The jacket fits perfectly. The waistcoat and plus-fours need to be let out a bit, but there's enough excess fabric to do so, thank goodness.

Will post detailed photos tomorrow!

And then only accept bank transfers. What's with that with german sellers?

German sellers are often a lot worse. If they want to sell a hat they'll take a photo under really bad lighting coniditions from a bad angle and with the wrong zoom. Only one photo, mind you. Text will something like: "Trendy hat. Blues Brothers. Johnny Depp. C@@l!". Done... [huh]

I really think this seller missed a trick with his no international shipping. I suspect some of the more hardcore collectors in the Uk would have fetched the price up even further …

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana