Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Cooking Shows.

Bebop

Practically Family
I know this is about favorite cooking shows but........Alton Brown is someone I can't stand to watch (almost worse than Rachel Ray). He is one of those guys that just irritates me to no end with his ego maniacal, preachyness that screams of smart-a**. Most shows on Food Network are overproduced and are of little value to anyone that really is into actual food, not competition/reality or "stars". That's why you will never see Julia Child, Pepin, or any other real chef having a show on their network. Some chefs just want to be stars and reel in the money instead of dealing with food on a real level. They end up on Food Network. The show Next Food Network Star is proof of that.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I also enjoy America's Test Kitchen for the Tasting Lab and the Equipment Corner.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bebop said:
The Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith always taught me something and was entertaining.
Have you ever seen a TV personality disappear as quickly and as permanently as the Frug?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tomasso said:
I also enjoy America's Test Kitchen for the Tasting Lab and the Equipment Corner.

This is my answer. I also subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, and their website. Great resources.

Bebop

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Have you ever seen a TV personality disappear as quickly and as permanently as the Frug?

Is everyone aware of why The Frugal Gourmet "disappeared" so quickly? :( It's a sad story and one that was, (and still is to a certain degree) covered up and hushed.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Bebop said:
I know this is about favorite cooking shows but........Alton Brown is someone I can't stand to watch (almost worse than Rachel Ray). He is one of those guys that just irritates me to no end with his ego maniacal, preachyness that screams of smart-a**. Most shows on Food Network are overproduced and are of little value to anyone that really is into actual food, not competition/reality or "stars". That's why you will never see Julia Child, Pepin, or any other real chef having a show on their network. Some chefs just want to be stars and reel in the money instead of dealing with food on a real level. They end up on Food Network. The show Next Food Network Star is proof of that.

My wife and I like a few shows on TFC, but just for entertainment. It's been some years since you could actually learn much about actual cooking there.

I think the slide started when Emeril switched from actual techniques and recipes to being a celebrity and started bamming. Before that he actually taught such things as the Mother Sauces.

I'd rather watch Julia Child reruns.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Bebop said:
Is everyone aware of why The Frugal Gourmet "disappeared" so quickly? :( It's a sad story and one that was, (and still is to a certain degree) covered up and hushed.

Given the nature of the allegations, no good can come out of dredging them up again.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I can't believe no one has mentioned Justin Wilson, the Cajun cook. He was my ALL TIME favorite; "Never cook with a wine you are afraid to drink"...

Alton Brown is OK in small doses; I have a crush on Rachel Ray; and I have become addicted to Guy Fieri on "Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives".

Just my weird .02 cents....

Pete

Bebop

Practically Family
JimWagner said:
My wife and I like a few shows on TFC, but just for entertainment. It's been some years since you could actually learn much about actual cooking there.

I think the slide started when Emeril switched from actual techniques and recipes to being a celebrity and started bamming. Before that he actually taught such things as the Mother Sauces.

I'd rather watch Julia Child reruns.

Amen to that, JimWagner! Emeril is one incredible chef but the whole celebrity "BAM" thing threw his train off track. One of my favorite cooking shows was called "Taste" with David Baumgardner. He would focus on one thing, like salt, and talk about it and use it in a grown up, adult way (not like Alton Brown). I guess it wasn't slick enough for Food Network.

PistolPete, Justin Wilson was not only entertaining and unique but also made me realize that cooking doesn't have to be all that complicated. It's ok to use ketchup and canned beans. "I'm so glad for you to see me" was one of his closing lines.

Guy Fieri had a restaurant in Petaluma Ca. when I lived there, before he won Food Network Star and it was considered one of the worse places to eat by everyone for miles around. The food was horrible and the service was non-existent. That is all I can think about whenever I hear him review any restaurant/diner. Of course he likes everything he eats. He didn't cook it. His voice and hair don't help either.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love to cook.

Good food is a way to my heart, but sadly also my waist-line [huh] I'm convinced I've got Italian or Spanish in me somewhere!

Love Floyd, Stein, Nigella (though it's so hard to concentrate on the recipes when she looks so gorgeous), Delia, Ramsey, and also some of Olivers stuff (I've enjoyed the tours around Italy and Spain) and would like to try out "Fifteen" for the lunchtime special next time I'm in London (so if anyone's interested!).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JimWagner said:
I must have missed those early shows. From the first time I saw him I thought that most of the food he prepared on the show was borderline inedible and I was always astonished to see audience members rave about it when they tasted it. Then I read a NYT article which confirmed my thoughts.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
also some of Olivers stuff (I've enjoyed the tours around Italy and Spain)

I saw the Spain one on telly here the other week and was impressed as well Paddy. He did this rather good looking pork chop thing stuffed with raisins, and a very good fish dish cooked in a case of salt and served with alioli. I do like Spanish food, tends to have a bit of oomph.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I must have missed those early shows. From the first time I saw him I thought that most of the food he prepared on the show was borderline inedible and I was always astonished to see audience members rave about it when they tasted it.

It was before he had a studio audience even.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Most have already been mentioned: Jacques, Julia, Justin Wilson, Clarissa & Jennifer, Nigella, Yan Can Cook, Original Iron Chef, etc. Also have to add the Great Chefs Series, Molto Mario, Nathalie Dupree, Dessert Circus. Don't watch much Food Network anymore but occasionally watch Giada or Barefoot Contessa. There used to a neat show on Foodtv - Doorknock Dinners that was fun to watch.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Bebop said:

My curiosity was piqued I must admit. The story has reached, ahem, Wikipedia...Innocent 'til proven guilty [huh] .

Bebop

Practically Family
bunnyb.gal said:
My curiosity was piqued I must admit. The story has reached, ahem, Wikipedia...Innocent 'til proven guilty [huh] .

Yeah, he had a horrible time for the last few of his remaining years. He did have the ability to teach and enthuse anyone yearning for knowledge about food and culture. He also had a wonderful array of vintage kitchen utensils that he loved showing and using. RIP.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21