Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Film Costumes

Delia's Gone

New in Town
Letty Lynton

For those of you posting about Letty Lynton, have you seen the film? The only reason I ask, is that after reading this thread I went to my local independent cinema (they have a video store attached with a HUGE collection of classic films) to pick it up. The owner had never heard of it (which really surprised me) and then looked in all his books and catalogs, and as far as he can tell it's never even been released on VHS (much less DVD). Any ideas?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Delia's Gone said:
The owner had never heard of it (which really surprised me) and then looked in all his books and catalogs, and as far as he can tell it's never even been released on VHS (much less DVD).

Heck, no! My mother used to have the VHS. It's always been a regular part of our mother-daughter Joan nights. I've had no luck finding the DVD since we let the tape go, but my dad did find a torrent, which appears to be taken from a digital copy.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
Tallulah Bankhead
3925832116_0ec0827617_o.jpg

Oh! Tallulah! Gorgeous!!! I love both the dresses but this one is wonderful.

Delia's Gone

New in Town
C-dot said:
Heck, no! My mother used to have the VHS. It's always been a regular part of our mother-daughter Joan nights. I've had no luck finding the DVD since we let the tape go, but my dad did find a torrent, which appears to be taken from a digital copy.

You guys must have had a bootleg! According to this, and other info I've found searching online, the film has been embroiled in a legal battle that went all the way to the US supreme court! So no official versions have ever been released!

I would love to have that torrent.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Delia's Gone said:
You guys must have had a bootleg! According to this, and other info I've found searching online, the film has been embroiled in a legal battle that went all the way to the US supreme court! So no official versions have ever been released!

I would love to have that torrent.

Holy cow! All those years, and it was a bootleg! :eek:

Well, it was a pretty good bootleg, and so is this torrent. I'll find it again and PM ya.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Delia's Gone said:

Yes, you are right. Letty Lynton has not been exhibited legally since MGM lost a plagiarism suit in the mid-1930s. :(
That's why that film is sometimes called "Letty The Lost" [huh] lol

VFL-Librarian

New in Town
kate.jpg

My favorite! I love the way the sleeves move.

The other one I love is the strappy sun dress that Cecilia wears in the scene where her brother arrives. I used to have a screen shot of it, but can't find it now. I love it.

Dutchess

Familiar Face
eve1.jpg

The costumes in my favourite movie: All about Eve (1950). Designed by Edith Head. Love Bette Davis' dress and look at Marilyn; so very young.
Love Hitchcocks movies too. He made his actresses look wonderful. He carefully watched over the make-up design en sometimes picked dresses for them himself, like the stunning red and black gown of Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest:
reddress.jpg

Too bad I can't find a pic of the back of the dress. It has a lovely low V.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the middle of The Greatest Show on Earth. The costumes are amazing, designed by no less than Edith Head and Dorothy Jeakins. Makes me want to run away and join the circus!

great1.jpg

Annex-GrahameGloriaGreatestShowonEa.jpg

GD6832734CORNEL-WILDE-BETTY-H-9705.jpg

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Funny Face? Gigi? To catch a thief?

Check out these movies for fantastic costumes........Audrey Hepburn as winged victory in the red dress or emerging from the train steam......Grace Kelly in anything.......Cary Grant in anything......Leslie Caron and Louis Jourdan in anything.......and an honorable mention for Cyd Charisse and Fred Astaire doing their Dancing in the Dark routine (can't remember movie)

RobynLe

New in Town
SayCici said:
Simple, but one of Marilyn's suits from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes -
Annex-MonroeMarilynGentlemenPreferB.jpg

I'm crazy over that neckline, and the big collar. I'd rather look at the 'simpler' everyday outfits than the glamorous ones any day!

I am in LOVE with this suit and basically every outfit in that movie! Like this dress also:
M-Monroe_GPB.jpg

M_Monroe_Gentlemen_Prefer_Blondes2.jpg

I also like her outfits in Niagra, this one's my fav:
MonroeMarilynNiagara_03.jpg

And I also love this dress from No Business.....
MonroeMarilynTheresNoBusinessLikeSh.jpg

And I can't find a pic of it, but Kim Novak's green and black dress in Pal Joey with Sinatra and Rita. It has a big V in the back and I just looove it!!!! Also from the movie Hollywoodland in 2006 about George Reeves, the orig Superman, anyway there's this blouse and skirt or pants outfit on Robin Tunney when she comes out of court, and I can't find a pic of that either, but the top is black with a cream collar and the high waist pants? are grey tweed and it's great. Grrr I made my husband draw pics of them for me 'til I could get pics lol

Christy

One of the Regulars
RobynLe- I agree, I love all of Marilyn's costumes. I love the outfit from Niagara. I like how she's wearing open toed strappy heels, I always thought if you're wearing something that is suit like you should wear closed toed or peep toe heels, but I've noticed she frequently wore heels like that and it looks great!

RobynLe

New in Town
Christy-- Absolutely! She pulls it off brilliantly. The only other shoes I can imagine with this outfit are those Lucite heels that Schatzi loves! Could we all pull it off? I don't know, but she sure does. They had her in suits a lot early on, like in Love Nest--great suits in that movie too! And I'm probably one of the few people who actually prefers Marilyn in these more modest outfits. O-well. :rolleyes:

From Love Nest:
MM_Roberta_LoveNest.jpg

I would so love to re-create some of her dresses and suits but I really don't have anywhere to wear them and everyone would just be like, "What are you so dressed up for?" Although, being 5'2" it IS nice to wear heels, esp. since my DH is 6'3". lol

And I know they aren't film costumes, but I'm in love with these simple, cute little outfits from an early photo shoot:

MM_NormaJeane_1940s.jpg

Monroe1940sMarilyn_070.jpg

Monroe1940sMarilyn_067.jpg

These I would totally wear!

Spalko

New in Town
RobynLe said:

I would like to wear this sometime. Simple, elegant and gorgeous.

Sorry, the captures do not have a good quality but I would love to have these two outfits. I need to find a good divided skirt (I do not know the exact english term for it) pattron and try to sew the second one and wear it this winter.

TheStoryofVernonandIreneCastle19-1.jpg

ShallWeDancecd1frame49343-1.jpg

Christy

One of the Regulars
RobynLe- I love those photos you posted! I really like Marilyn's casual outfits that she sometimes wore in photo shoots. I think the strappy heels make the suit look more flirty and feminine. I think she looks great in suits!

I found this website that I like to look at. It has photos of Marilyn's costume tests. It doesn't have every single outfit but it has quite a bit.
http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/camera/galleries/costumes/

:eek:fftopic: I think you should go for it on the outfits! Sometimes I get "why are you so dressed up, where are you going?" and I just say "I'm not going anywhere I just felt like looking nice". Most of the time I just get compliments. So I think if you want to have some of the outfits, you should, don't worry about looking too dressed up, people will just think you look nice.

RobynLe

New in Town
Yes, Christy I have seen this site also. It's great! Evidently, I was so enamored of the darn photos and sketches (love those sketches!) that I didn't realize that Billy Travilla was the costume designer on most of the movies that have those wonderful outfits! I guess that's why she told him, "You can dress me anytime"......I would sure like to tell him that myself :)

Flirty and feminine are perfect words for it. My brain is mush today. :eusa_doh:

Thank you, I needed some encouragement :)

Mirinda

New in Town
I know this is not "Golden Era", but yesterday I was watching Breakfast at Tiffany's and I fell in love with this short jumper/high waisted trousers combination:

Sorry, couldn't find a better image of it, maybe someone remembers it from the movie?

I usually don't like short tops, but I hadn't thought they would look lovely with that sort of trousers (yes, I'm such a fashion newbie :eusa_doh:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko