Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

High Pockets

Practically Family
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli”

Wonderful words of Pete Clemenza in The Godfather.
Killing people was little more than just a part of his job. Which, on that particular day had to be done on his way home with the desert his wife had requested.

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
From my favorite film, 'Magnolia' (1999):

"A lot of people think this is just a job that you go to... take a lunch hour, the job's over, something like that. But it's a 24-hour deal... no two ways about it... and what most people don't see is just how hard it is to do the right thing. People think if I make a judgment call, that it's a judgment on them. But that's not what I do, and that's not what should be done. I have to take everything and play it as it lays. Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail. And that's a very tricky thing on my part...making that call. The law is the law, and heck if I'm gonna break it. But if you can forgive someone...well, that's the tough part. What can we forgive? Tough part of the job. Tough part of walking down the street."

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Elizabeth Swann: There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
rom Haunted Honeymoon (1986).

Larry Abbot: Something terrible has happened! I just found cousin Francis in my bed!
Pfister: Was he wearing a dress?
Larry Abbot: Yes, he was.
Pfister: Just ask him to leave, Sir. Tell him you have a headache.

Vickie Pearle: I love your lipstick, what's it called?
Sylvia: Pink Passion!
[they laugh awkwardly]
Vickie Pearle: Well quit passion it around!

Pfister: Is he still married?
Larry Abbot: Widower.
Pfister: Widower than what?
Larry Abbot: What do you mean "Widower than what"?
Pfister: You said he was widower.
Larry Abbot: He is.
Pfister: Widower than what?
Larry Abbot: I don't know what you're talking about. He isn't widower than anything.
Pfister: You mean he's just a "wittle" man.
Larry Abbot: That's right.
Pfister: That's all I was asking.

Larry Abbot: I'm telling you, I felt a cold, dead body lying beside me in bed. Do you understand?
Pfister: I feel that every night. Warm brandy helps.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Some from Blackadder (not quite from a movie, but great lines anyway)

"Baldrick, your brain is like the four headed, man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen"
"In what way? "
"It doesn't exist "

Baldrick, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here again'.

"I want my mother."
"Ah, yes Baldrick. A maternally crazed gorilla would come in handy at this very moment."

Kate, he looks like what he is - a dung ball in a dress.
---

John T. Chance: Sorry don't get it done, Dude. That's the second time you hit me. Don't ever do it again.
---

Mr. Incredible: You mean you killed off real heroes so that you could *pretend* to be one?
Syndrome: Oh, I'm real. Real enough to defeat you! And I did it without your precious gifts, your oh-so-special powers. I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics the world has ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super--
[chuckles evilly]
Syndrome: --no one will be.

Cheers!

Dan

rue

From GWTW:

Scarlett: [pleads with Rhett as he is about to leave to join the Confederate Army] Oh, Rhett! Please, don't go! You can't leave me! Please! I'll never forgive you!
Rhett Butler: I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names.
Scarlett: [struggles] Don't hold me like that!
Rhett Butler: [holds her tighter] Scarlett! Look at me! I've loved you more than I've ever loved any woman and I've waited for you longer than I've ever waited for any woman.
[kisses her forhead]
Scarlett: [turns her face away] Let me alone!
Rhett Butler: [forces her to look him in the eyes] Here's a soldier of the South who loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about loving me, you're a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett! Kiss me! Kiss me... once...
[he kisses her]

-----------
Rhett Butler: No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.

---------
-Scarlett: [Rhett has heard Scarlett's and Ashley's fight] and Sir you should have made your presence known
Rhett Butler: In the middle of that beautiful love scene. Now that wouldn't have been very tactful would it?
Scarlett: Oh! You sir are no gentlemen.
Rhett Butler: And you Ms. are no lady.
[She is shocked and hurt]
Rhett Butler: Don't think I hold that against you. Ladies have never held any appeal for me

rue

From Valley Girl (1983)

Randy to Fred: What were you doing in there, kissing girl's goodnight?
I say this all the time when people take too long lol

---------

From Weird Science:

Give me the keys Lisa, I'll drive.
------

From You've Got Mail:

Joe Fox: It wasn't... personal.
Kathleen Kelly: What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway?
Joe Fox: Uh, nothing.
Kathleen Kelly: Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal.
------

Kathleen Kelly: "Joe"? "Just call me Joe"? As if you were one of those stupid 22-year old girls with no last name? "Hi, I'm Kimberly!" "Hi, I'm Janice!" Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name? It's like they're an entire generation of cocktail waitresses.
------

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

The Full Metal Jacket of capitalism. If you are a man and you believe David Mamet when he writes, "A man is his job," you have to come to terms with Glengarry Glen Ross.

--

"See this watch? That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much did you make? You see, pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing."

"Here are the new leads. To you they're gold. And you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you would be throwing them away."

"Where did you learn your trade?...Who ever told you that you could work with men?"

"Money's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you."

"Your name is You're Wanting. You can't play the man's game."

"What's my name? F#¢!! you. That's my name."

Last edited:

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Just a few from 1955's Kiss Me Deadly. From memory so pardon any errors.

Mike - Alright you've got me convinced, I'm a real stinker

Velda - Please stay away from that window, somebody might blow you a kiss

Mike - Why don't you make an exploritory offer to get the ball rolling?
Underworld boss - Why don't you take your considerable talents back to the gutter you crawled out of

Mike - You're never here when I need you
Velda - You never need me when I'm here

Mike - So, you're a refugee from the laughing house

Detective - I'm going to mention a few words, simple words, Trinity, Manhatten Project

Bartender - What's wrong? Man you look real wasted!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Not quite movie lines, but lines from the "Blackadder Christmas Carol" on BBC America.

Lord Edmund Blackadder: I trust Christmas brings to you its traditional mix of good food and violent stomach cramp.
Melchet: Greetings of the season to you, Blackadder! May the Yule log slip from your fire and burn your house down!

Lord Edmund Blackadder: HA! Got him with my subtle plan!
Baldrick: I can't see any subtle plan!
Lord Edmund Blackadder: Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!"

Ebenezer Blackadder: I'm afraid the only way you are likely to get a wet kiss at Christmas, or indeed at any other time, is to make a pass at a water closet.

Ebeneezer Blackadder: In fact, there is something in your stocking, Baldrick, something I made for you.
Baldrick: Ah, well that's the best kind of gift, Mr. B. What is it?
Ebeneezer Blackadder: It's a fist. It's for hitting people with. (Punches Baldrick) And the great thing is, you can use it again and again! (hits Baldrick again)

Lord Edmund Blackadder: Cor, that woman's about as subtle as a rhinoceros horn up the backside.

Ebenezer Blackadder: I would explain, my dear, but I fear that you wouldn't understand - blessed as you are with a head that is emptier than a hermit's address book!

Baldrick: I've been helping out with the workhouse Nativity play.
Ebenezer Blackadder: Oh, of course. How did it go?
Baldrick: Well, not very well. At the last moment, the baby playing Jesus died!
Ebenezer Blackadder: Oh, dear! This high infant mortality rate's a real devil when it comes to staging quality children's theatre. What did you do?
Baldrick: Got another Jesus.
Ebenezer Blackadder: Oh, thank goodness. And his name?
Baldrick: "Spot." There weren't any more children so we had to settle for a dog instead.
Ebenezer Blackadder: Oh, dear. I'm not convinced that Christianity would have established its firm grip over the hearts and minds of mankind, if all Jesus had ever said was "woof!"
Baldrick: Well, it went all right until the shepherds came on. See, we haven't been able to get any real sheep, so we had to stick some wool...
Ebenezer Blackadder: On some other dogs!
Baldrick: Yeah. And the moment Jesus got a whiff of them, he's away! While the angel's singing "peace on earth, good will to mankind," Jesus scampers across and tries to get one of the sheep to give him a piggy-back ride!
Ebenezer Blackadder: Scarcely appropriate behavior for the Son of God, Mister Baldrick! Weren't the children upset?
Baldrick: No, they loved it! They want us to do another one at Easter. They want to see us nail up the dog!

Cheers!

Dan

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Geoff Montgomery: It's worse than horrible because a zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring.
Larry Lawrence: You mean like Democrats?

Larry Lawrence: The girls call me Pilgrim, because every time I dance with one I make a little progress.

Larry Lawrence: I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in.

From The Ghost Breakers starring Bob Hope.

Dan'l

Practically Family
Braveheart: "The almighty tells me he can get me out of this, but he's pretty sure you're f****d."

Caddyshack: "There are two kinds of people in the world Danny. Those who stand for goodness, and those who stand for badness. What do you stand for Danny?"

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas: "Jesus, did I just say that or think it?"

Those are just a few. I like this thread.

HarlowQueen

New in Town
"Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damn." -Gone With The Wind 1939

Matter of fact, I love both the book and the movie and that quote in particular so much so, that I have it tattooed across my chest. I know, haha tattoos aren't very vintage but they're a big part of me.

The Blues Brothers - 1980

"They'll never catch us, we're on a mission from God"
"We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses"

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Colonel Blake: [Watches as a jeep rolls away] Did Hawkeye steal that jeep?
Radar: No, sir. That's the one he came in.
Colonel Blake: Oh, very good. Come along, my dear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points