Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Fawlty Towers

Basil: "Good evening, everything to your satisfaction?"
Ronald: "I don't like the chips."
Basil: "Sorry?"
Ronald: "The chips are awful."
Basil: "Oh dear, then what's wrong with them then?"
Ronald: "They're the wrong shape and they're just awful"
Mom: "He gets everything cooked the way he likes it at home."
Basil: "Ah, does he?"
Ronald: "Yes, and it's better than this pig's garbage!"
Mom: "Now, Ronald!"
Ronald: "These eggs look like you laid them."
Dad (placating): "Now, look here, old chap."
Mom (to Dad): "Shut up! Leave him alone! He's very clever, rather highly strung."
Basil: "Yes, yes, he should be."
Ronald: "Haven't you any proper chips?"
Basil: "These are proper french fried potatoes, the chef is Continental."
Ronald: "Couldn't you get an English one?"
Mom: "Why don't you eat one or two, dear?"
Ronald: "They're the wrong shape."
Basil: "What shape do you usually have? Mickey Mouse shape? Smarties shape? Amphibious landing craft shape? Poke in the Eye shape?"

"You see that fella in the red sweater over there? His name's Donnie McCoy. Works a few of the protection rackets for Canaro when he's waitin' for something better to happen. Donnie and I have known each other since we were six. Take a good look at that face because if he ever finds out I can be beat by one lousy grifter, I'll have to kill him and every other hood who wants to muscle in on my Chicago operation."

...Doyle Lonnegan, The Sting

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
"Rule through the fear of force rather than through force itself." -Wilhuff Tarkin

"You may think I am evil. I am not. I am efficient." -Darth Maul

"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful...the strong...the weak...the innocent...the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally." -Darth Maul

"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?" -Obi-wan Kenobi

"I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.... I will never rest. And neither will you." -Slade

"I won't kill you… But I don't have to save you." -Batman

"Gentlemen, it is time to spread the word. And the word is – panic!" -Ra's al Ghul

"Ya see, I'm a guy of simple taste. I enjoy, ah, dynamite...and gunpowder, and GASOLINE! And you know the thing they have in common? They're cheap. I'm only burning my half. All you care about is money. This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm gonna give it to them. Tell your men the work for me now, this is my city. Why don't we cut you up into little pieces and feed ya to your pooches? Hm? And then we'll see, how loyal a hungry dog really is." -The Joker

"If I'm gonna have a background, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" -The Joker

"If you half to explain a joke, then there IS no joke!" -The Joker

"I believe, whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you...stranger." -The Joker

"A house cannot be made habitable in a day...." -Dracula

"Because, Mr. Creedy.... beneath this mask is more than flesh. Beneath this mask is an idea. And ideas a bulletproof!" -V

"What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded." -V

"I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than 400 years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest that you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot." -V

"We are buried beneath your incompetencies, Mr. Creedy!" -Adam Sutler

"I want that terrorist found. And I want him to know, what true terror really is." -Adam Sutler

"347 days, gentlemen. 347 failures!" -Adam Sutler

"What is for us go decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandolf the Grey

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." -Galadriel

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,"…"You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!" -Rorschach

"Do not pity the dead, pity the living. And above all, those who live without love." -Dumbledore

"The is no good or evil, there is only power. And those too weak to seek it." -Voldemort

"Mr. Homolka, stop eating my sesame cake." -Cpt. Munro Kellie

"If there's one thing in this world I hate it is an unlocked footlocker!" -Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

"When you marooned me on that God-forsaken spit of land, you forget one very important thing, mate...I'm Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?" -Captain Jack Sparrow

"Peter, if you want me to run your little camping trip, there are two conditions: firstly, I'm in charge, and when I'm not around, Dieter is. All you have to do is sign the checks, tell us we're doing a good job, and open your case of scotch when we have a good day. Second condition: my fee? You can keep it. All I want in return for my services is the right to hunt one of the tyrannosaurs. A male, a buck only. How and why is my business. Now, if you don't like either of those conditions, you're on your own. So go ahead, set up base camp right here, or in a swamp, or in the middle of a rex nest for all I care. But I've been on too many safaris with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas, OK?" -Roland Tembo

"Yes, but John, when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists!" -Dr. Ian Malcolm

"If you feel qualified at all you might wanna try switching it to on." -Eddie Carr

"They're not monsters, Lex, they're just animals. They just do what they do." -Dr. Alan Grant

"But you never had control, that was the illusion! Even I was overwhelmed by the power of this place. But I didn't have enough respect for that power and it's out now!" -Dr. Ellie Sattler

"It is, absolutely imperative that we work with the Costa Rican Department of Biological Preserves to establish a set of rules for the preservation and isolation of that island. These creatures require our absence to survive, not our help. And if we could only step aside, and trust in nature.... life will find a way." -Dr. John Hammond

Bushman's Joker quotes reminded me of one of my favorites from quotes from "The Dark Knight" (IMHO, the best superhero movie ever) where Alfred tries to explain to Batman the "illogic" of the Joker. Michael Caine is outstanding in the role overall and delivers this line with perfectly pitched understatement:

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Two and a Half Men

Herb: "I love this male bonding. Giving each other the old business."
Charlie: "The old business?"
Herb: "Yeah, you know, the needle, the zetz, the razzamatazz."
Charlie: "Herb, I gotta ask you something. Are there any other guys you hang out with?'
Herb: "Oh sure, I have my peeps. There's my water polo league, the guys down at the model train shop. Oh, and my barber shop quartet, although I can't have them at the house anymore.
Charlie: "Why not?"
Herb: "Four part harmony triggers Judith's migraines plus mustaches creep her out."
Alan: "Not just mustaches, any facial hair whatsoever."
Herb: "Right, except eyebrows."
Alan: "Neatly trimmed."
Herb: "Right, the two finger rule."
Charlie: "Chelsea had a two finger rule. Nothing to do with eyebrows though."

Last edited:

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
There are so many quotes I find it difficult to choose from. That said, the few that immediately come to mind are from westerns.

The first is: "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne The Shootist

The second: "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Clint Eastwood The Outlaw Josey Wales

And, third, though I remember it as clearly as when I heard it over twenty years ago, is: "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go!" - Harrison Ford Raiders of the Lost Ark

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Groucho Marx anyone?

DUCK SOUP
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
And even when you've changed it
Or condensed it
I'm against it!

A DAY AT THE RACES
If I hold you any closer, I'd be in back of you!

A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA
Groucho: Tunis? There are some beautiful women in Tunis.
Sig Ruman: I am not interested in beautiful women!
Groucho: In that case, look up some of the women I've been taking out.

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
Sig Ruman (to Margaret Dumont): All of New York will be under your feet!
Groucho: Well, there's plenty of room.

DNO

One Too Many
Marlowe, in The Big Sleep:

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
"There are those in our country today, too, who speak of the 'protection' of the country. Of 'survival'. The answer to that is: survival as what? A country isn't a rock. And it isn't an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for, when standing for something is the most difficult." ~ Judge Haywood, "Judgement At Nuremberg"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sullivan: I want this picture to be a commentary on modern conditions. Stark realism. The problems that confront the average man!

Executive 1: But with a little sex in it.

Sullivan: A little, but I don't want to stress it. I want this picture to be a document. I want to hold a mirror up to life. I want this to be a picture of dignity! A true canvas of the suffering of humanity!

Executive 1: But with a little sex in it.

Sullivan: With a little sex in it.

Executive 2: How 'bout a nice musical?

-- "Sullivan's Travels," screenplay by Preston Sturges (1941)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Mammy: You know what trouble I’s talking ‘bout. I’s talking ‘bout Mr. Ashley Wilkes.
He’ll be comin’ to Atlanta when he gets his leave, and you sittin’ there waitin' like a spider.

Scarlett O’Hara: Fiddle-dee-dee.

Prissy: Oh Miss Scarlett, I don’t know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ babies.

Scarlett O’Hara: ...as God is my witness I’ll never be hungry again.
...after all, tomorrow is another day!

Rhett Butler: Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112