Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Obscure Artist Recommendations.

Chas

One Too Many
I'll start this with a wonderful (Tuscarora Indian) Rockabilly artist, Ben Hewitt. He wrote and recorded some really amazing songs on the Mercury label, but, sadly, very few. He was ably backed up by a really under-appreciated lead guitarist, Ray Ethier, who was originally from Quebec.

My Search

Whirlwind Blues

You can pick up the album "You Got Me Shook" from the excellent "Bear Family" Label out of Germany.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I don't know how obscure he is, but I don't know anyone else who knows him. Sergei Nakariakov, the Russian trumpet virtuoso- I love him.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Oh I thought you meant visual artist so went to grab some DR. LAKRA pics..
188876321_894e079e64.jpg
188877669_d24c1a5f0e.jpg

As for musicians , probably not obscure enough but Hasil Adkins: 'Get Out of My Car' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJF7rcyfU5I

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Reginald Forsythe and his Orchestra. British band from the mid/late thirties that specialized in a very intricate, sophisticated sort of swing. Not widely known stateside, but was quite popular in his day -- and his stuff is well worth looking up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
May or may not be obscure...so I shall let you decide...but...

Jack Hylton.

English bandleader of the 1930s & 40s. Made some truly amazing and beautiful recordings of popular jazz-songs of the period.

Lee Morse.

American singer of the 1920s & 30s. I haven't listened to MUCH of her music, but I did like what I did hear.

If we can include modern artists here...

Langham & Litton.

A pair of British musicians performing jazz and standards from the Golden Age of the first half of the 20th century. I had a chance to watch them in a small performance they gave once...and they are incredible!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although not very vintage, and more than likely not to the tastes of many loungers, I could recommend a plethora of obscure modern artists.

Arcturus - Norwegian metal group heavily influenced by classical music, including Mozart, Beethoven, etc. They are metal lite, if you will, and more comparable to a modern Pink Floyd (i.e. avante-garde, progressive)

Cannibal Corpse - Florida Death Metal, and basically torch-bearers of their genre having been founded in '88 and making it through the metal fizzle of the 90's. I've had the great opportunity to hang out with these guys on more than one occassion, and I must admit that, although they appear intimidating, they are easily the nicest people I've met. Yes, I mean that: the nicest people I've met. They will do nearly anything for a fan, they will sign anything, they will literally chase after their own tour bus just to stay one more second to talk to one more fan. Very stand up folks, decent, intelligent and great conversationalists.

Manu Chao - Spanish/French artist who sings primarily in Spanish, but mixes in English, French and others. Some call his style reggae, but it's less formulaic and a little more clever, in my opinion. I recommend the album Clandestino, as I feel it's his best.

Mike Patton - as a musician, pianist, etc., with such incarnations as Tomahawk, Fantomas and Mr. Bungle. For those not familiar, Fantomas and Mr. Bungle (two different bands with Patton as lead) are both inspired by retro/vinage themes, Fantomas being a character created by French novelists in 1911. Both bands ruminate on vintage inspired themes, as well as some vintage tunes. Patton is also an opera singer, among many other talents. You may remember him from 90's fame in the group Faith No More.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Not sure what constitutes obscure here. Certainly a lot of what I listen to is obscure to the general public, who hear the name Bunny Berrigan and think I'm talking about an early Playboy gal.

However... if it's just someone without a lot of exposure (no pun intended after above, really!), there is a band in San Diego called The Golden Hill Ramblers. Seeing/hearing them live is like being transported into another time. They play at a lot of swing dancing events, apparently.

Unfortunately, online they seem to only be on MySpace, but here's the link.

http://www.myspace.com/goldenhillramblers

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Venus

An amazing band with a lame name. From Belgium, they were an ever changing group of musicians with a few core people whos sound was mostly composed of classical instruments played in a very alternative way.

Welcome to the Modern Dance Hall, their first album and their last one, The Red Room are their best.

They disbanded in 2007, I miss them.

Them and Love Spit Love :)

LD

davidraphael

Practically Family
Some people here might like The Caretaker who remixes 1920's/30's jazz/pop 78rpms to make them ambient (and spooky!).

You can download some of his stuff for free here:
http://brainwashed.com/vvm/micro/caretaker/offal07.htm

I also recommend Charlie and His Orchestra (Dr Goebbels' secret propaganda jazz band that recorded classic jazz standards, but twisted the lyrics to suit the Third Reich's agenda and then broadcast pretending they were a genuine American jazz band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPOKoNKii4

One more recommendation: Eddie Lang. fans of Django Reinhardt may want to check out his precursor and inspiration - really incredible stuff.
watch

@LizzieMaine

Thanks for the Reginald Forsythe and his Orchestra tip - I have a lot of 1930's British dancehall stuff, but I don't know him at all. Any idea where I can get some?

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
davidraphael said:
I also recommend Charlie and His Orchestra (Dr Goebbels' secret propaganda jazz band that recorded classic jazz standards, but twisted the lyrics to suit the Third Reich's agenda and then broadcast pretending they were a genuine American jazz band)

I have their recordings on mp3. I listened for the historical value, I keep in my WW2 collection for the same (much as I did Lord Haw Haw)... but I personally find it too disturbing to listen to again. And it does surprise me how many people interested in swing and/or WW2 have never heard of them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
To a fan of 30's music she would certainly not be obscure, but I love Ramona and her Grand Piano.
And a one hit wonder, who died tragically at the age of 19 in 1934, Dorothy Dell. Check out "Was I Drunk!".

Miss sofia

One Too Many
The TigerLilies - i don't know how obscure they are, nobody i tend to meet has ever heard of them, but they are a mix of victorian musical hall/punk/prewar Berlin/opera, with a great live show.

Undertow - I love Manu Chao, he is very popular in Italy, so my sister turned me on to him. Apparently he even chucks a bit of Esperanto into the mix, but i don't know if that's true, but great nonetheless.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss sofia said:
Undertow - I love Manu Chao, he is very popular in Italy, so my sister turned me on to him. Apparently he even chucks a bit of Esperanto into the mix, but i don't know if that's true, but great nonetheless.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw Esperanto into his music; I think over a million people speak that now anyway. That guy is a walking translator.

Any time I try to recommend him to someone, they hear his music and laugh; they think I'm kidding around. [huh]

I think he's really creative, and very pleasing to the ears. From what I understand, he's exceptionally popular throughout much of Latin America as well. I wish I could see him live.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't find a little something to enjoy about his music, i mean it's hardly like putting a bit of Crass on or something, in fact it's quite inoffensive and dare i say it 'mellow', perfect background music. I find it quite soothing, in fact i had forgotten about him for a while, so i put it on earlier and really got into it again. The guy can sing in how many languages?? I can speak a couple of three but he takes the biscuit, in fact part of the enjoyment for me is actually trying to translate the lyrics! Or well, now trying to work out which songs have got Esperanto in 'em if any, all a learning curve, all a learning curve! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points