Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
My mother and I went and picked out my father a couple of bottles of scotch for Christmas. We went with an old standby Laphroaig (15 yr. I think) and a very nice bottle of Balvenie (maybe a 20 yr? my memory fails me) as a new one to us. It was especially fun when a fellow who was shopping in the store came over to give us his unsolicited advice. He seemed to think that obviously the two ladies in the scotch isle would certainly need help. He made a few suggestions and then - I think he decided that perhaps he was a little less knowledgeable on the subject than he thought when we started discussing what we had tasted. Then he left abruptly when we picked up the bottle of Balvenie. I think he spied the price and realized we were in the market for something a little different than he was recommending. We had a good chuckle at his well intended assistance. We were very pleased with our choices when we had a small tasting on Christmas evening and my father was extremely pleased that we had added to his ever growing scotch collection.

wayter1

New in Town
Laphroaig 10 yr old.... hard to find now since they brought out the much inferior quarter cask stuff
Te Bheag... blended scotch at what may be it's finest for the price
Pinch/Dimple... the bottle; oh the bottle

LRSdog

New in Town
Favorite whisky?

Favorite single malt: my Pop keeps an old Oban bottle he soaked the label from that contains the "corners" of several dozen single malts. It is ever-changing, and of course intriguing and adventurous tasting every time we open it (about every 3-4 months). Grand idea, and (unless one measures & notes the input) you never have the same whisky.

Other than that, and in the proper and relevant circumstances, all of them.

Favorite bourbon: Hm, well. Changes with the seasons. I used to like Geo. Dickel until I found that they ship the whisky elsewhere to bottle it. The aesthetics of that are unacceptable to me, to say the least. For a whisky to be a Tennessee Whisky, it should, I believe, be an indigenous start-to-finish process, just like single-malt. John Daniels has its moments and uses. Any of the Kentucky Bullit/Jessamine/Franklin county area distilleries are, to varying degrees, all pretty good. Evan Wms. Green Label is, for me, about as good as it gets for fifteen bucks for a 1.75.

And I never turn down Jameson (pronounced Jim-isson, thanks very much).:)

What about you folks? I need to expand my horizons . . . . .

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone heard anything about Dalmore Cigar Malt lately? I called my most well stocked supplier a week or so ago to ask about it, but they didn't know anything more than that they didn't have it.

BobC said:
Has anyone heard anything about Dalmore Cigar Malt lately? I called my most well stocked supplier a week or so ago to ask about it, but they didn't know anything more than that they didn't have it.

It is gone. If you do a search here, you will see the response I got back from The Dalmore itself---not stinky Old Jim Beam that distributes it here. ;) :p
Their replacement, they say, is the Dalmore Gran Reserva. It is a bit more expensive as well. I have not gotten my hands on a bottle as yet to give it a decent review. However, if there happens to be a The Dalmore Rep here who wants to send me a case to review than I'll take them up on the offer. ;) :p
dalmore_gran_reserva-200x266.jpg

Canadian

One of the Regulars
If it's a basic drink, then it's Johnny Walker Red. I just only drink it with cigars when reenacting Boston Legal.

Otherwise, I very rarely drink Scotch. I prefer grappas and Canadian whiskey. My favorite Canadian whiskey is definitely CC.

Thomas

BobC said:

I went back and found the response I got to The Dalmore Cigar Malt:

"Your e-mail was forwarded on to me for a response.

We are currently very busy finalizing our exciting plans for The Dalmore
brand in the United States, and just recently signed a new import
agreement. We know that customers and consumers alike are looking
forward to its arrival. Beautifully enhanced packaging and a full range
of rare and prestigious expressions will make it the whisky brand to
watch in the US as we roll out the brand within the next few weeks.

As is common with many scotch producers, expressions often change every
few years. Due to some consumer issues concerning The Dalmore Cigar
Malt, we have renamed this expression to Gran Reserva and changed its
liquid profile as well to include 60% Oloroso Sherry wood and 40%
American bourbon casks. If you enjoyed Cigar Malt, the Gran Reserva
won't disappoint!

I will keep your information and contact you at a later date when I can
be more specific as it may take some time for product availability in
the state of California.

Thank you for your patience and interest in The Dalmore.

Regards,

Dawn Lambert"

This was received April 20th with no recent updates. [huh]

Undertow

jamespowers said:
Sounds pretty good. 90 proof:D
Is it really better than the 21 year old---I mean worth twice the price? [huh] ;)

Oh, it is most definitely better - but the price...[huh] :rolleyes:

...that's a little steep. I think the 21 year is excellent and although still a little pricey, worth the money. The Stillman's Dram is amazing, as far as I'm concerned, but yeah, it's way out there in $$$.

And speaking of Cigar Malt, I am absolutely bummed about losing that Scotch to history; I enjoyed it too.

Undertow said:
Oh, it is most definitely better - but the price...[huh] :rolleyes:

...that's a little steep. I think the 21 year is excellent and although still a little pricey, worth the money. The Stillman's Dram is amazing, as far as I'm concerned, but yeah, it's way out there in $$$.

And speaking of Cigar Malt, I am absolutely bummed about losing that Scotch to history; I enjoyed it too.

I have been bummd for months now so I completely understand. If the Gran Reserva is truly as good as the Cigar Malt then I might be slightly assuaged. ;)
I think the 21 year is a decent price---albeit it high---next to other brands similar offerings. Other brands 30 year olds are really out there. :eek:
Lately I have found that the regular Cragganmore is a decent pairing for a good cigar---of course that is just me. ;) :cool2:

BobC

jamespowers said:
I went back and found the response I got to The Dalmore Cigar Malt:

Thanks for the update, JP. I was only able to buy one bottle of the Cigar Malt before it disappeared, and I saved the last 4oz or so until just a week or two ago when I finished the last of it. I'll see if I can find the Gran Reserva.

BobC said:
Thanks for the update, JP. I was only able to buy one bottle of the Cigar Malt before it disappeared, and I saved the last 4oz or so until just a week or two ago when I finished the last of it. I'll see if I can find the Gran Reserva.

I tried to get a case but there were none to be found by the time I realized it was going to be gone. :eusa_doh: [huh]

BobC

jamespowers said:
I tried to get a case but there were none to be found by the time I realized it was going to be gone. :eusa_doh: [huh]

I ordered three bottles from some website that escapes me now, but one of the bottles broke in transit so UPS returned the package to the sender. They e-mailed and asked me if I wanted them to resend the other two and I told them not to. I could kick myself now, knowing that it's gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto