Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite place to shop???

moustache

Practically Family
So many shoppes and so little time and money.
What would you say is your favourite place to shop for new clothing??
And for vintage clothing?

And THE final question:If money were no object,what ONE place would you shop at???Anywhere in the world.

Here are my answers:
New clothing:Toss up between Burlington coat factory and Target(socks,dress shirts)
Vintage:Goodwill/Thrift stores

Final question: Harrods. Everything i want in one place,high quality and great service.Snobbish,yet good.I could select almost any type of suit or hand crafted clothing.Or watches,jewelry,etc.
I could have picked Gieves and Hawkes or something but Harrods has EVERYTHING!!

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

My favorite places to shop are:

J. Crew -I love thier dress shirts: they can be had for $20 on sale and the ressemble vintage shirts and they are not the least bit baggy. Also they have lots of tweed and Faire Isle patterned sweaters.

LL Bean is my outfitter and supplier of all important khakis, sheets, and towels.

Brooks Brothers supplies most of my more formal dress shirts for work, most of my ties for work, and most of my suits for work.

Ralph Lauren supplies the rest.

If money were no object, my entire wardrobe would be bespoke and from a Saville Row tailor.

My vintage clothes I have had made by MyCustomTailor (I got lucky) and revamp. The rest of my "vintage" is all Ralph Lauren.

:)

lindylady

A-List Customer
I like to shop at Ann Taylor Loft because their clothes are always classic, tailored, and lady-like. I also go to Macys. Bargains can be found at Old Navy and Target, but it takes practice to put a vintage look together.

If money wasn't a concern, I would have all of my clothes custom-made. Heaven knows I need a seamstress to bedeck this 5'11 frame!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sadly, there's very little 'classic style' in Sydney, and what there is is ridiculously expensive. There was a great shop called Gowings that was famous, having stood on the corner of George and Market Streets for just over a century. It went into receivership earlier in the year. I bought my first Akubra Stylemaster from there, and they had a great range of old-style sportscoats, shirts and suits. I always loved browsing and shopping there, and I miss it. Trips to the city aren't the same without Gowings.

Skin Deep make Hollywood and loafer jackets and 40's-cut trousers and suits, but their prices are laughable, especially when I can go to my tailor and have the same thing made for a third the price, and the quality of the workmanship is ten times better. Antons is a store that also feature some 40's-style clothing, but again they're way overpriced.

David Jones has some great-looking clothes and shoes, they are very expensive too, but Myer often has better-priced items like sportscoats and shoes.

I love going to my tailor and checking out all the great fabric he can order in. I'm also all for supporting guys like Indy Magnoli, and intend to buy some shirts from him in the near future. I already have a pair of his custom-made shoes, and they're fantastic. Indy's keen to make clothing and accessories that are truly Golden-Era inspired, and I think it's important to encourage and support him as much as we can.

Benny Holiday

Hemingway Jones said:
My vintage clothes I have had made by MyCustomTailor (I got lucky) and revamp. The rest of my "vintage" is all Ralph Lauren.

:)

Hem, there was a great photo of your loafer jacket in the Queen Mary photo thread. Those guys at Revamp did a great job on that, it looks great!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Michele Savoia, in NYC.

Frank Shattuck, same.

Anywhere in NYC that Avery Lucas works.

Jorge Avalos, in Southern California.

eBay.

The Gap. (Several of their jeans fit me as they should.)

J. Crew. (For cotton trousers.)

Ralph Lauren. (For miscellaneous knockoffs.)

Novella

Practically Family
I'm with Lindylady - Anne Taylor Loft is great (not so much Anne Taylor minus the Loft though). I also love a lot of Steve Madden shoes, so going into one of those stores results in lot of wishing I had an endless supply of money. Although if I really did have no limit spending when it came to shopping, I'd probably want it to be for amazon.com or maybe ebay (but it would probably be movies and books I'd be buying or old magazines and sheet music rather than clothes).

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
To me, it's not so much about WHERE to shop...

... but more about brands that I trust.

I have been an independent clothing consumer for 35 years, and have gone through a number of favorite shopping venues:
  • The Georgetown Shop
  • Bloomingdales
  • Britches
  • Nordstrom
Today I shop almost entirely at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack when it comes to brick-and-mortar shopping and eBay and Sierra Trading Post online. I also buy shoes almost exclusively from Allen-Edmonds, sourcing these either through eBay or the Allen-Edmonds factory store. (I do not buy used shoes, but often buy either discontinued styles or factory seconds from AE.)

These are the principal brands that I know and trust:
  • Hickey Freeman -- suits and sport coats
  • Hart, Schaffner & Marx -- suits
  • Burberry -- sport coats
  • Joseph Abboud -- sport coats
  • Zanella -- trousers
  • Allen-Edmonds -- shoes and belts
  • Robert Talbott -- ties
  • Nordstrom -- dress shirts and socks
I am particularly happy with the sizing and quality consistency that I find in these brands. This consistency enables me to shop without (too much) fear online and at discount outlets.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Benny Holiday said:
I'm also all for supporting guys like Indy Magnoli, and intend to buy some shirts from him in the near future. I already have a pair of his custom-made shoes, and they're fantastic. Indy's keen to make clothing and accessories that are truly Golden-Era inspired, and I think it's important to encourage and support him as much as we can.

I can only agree. I've got a pile of stuff from Indy, and found him to be incredibly helpful when it comes to getting exactly what I want. At this rate, it's heading for the point where I just say "Magnoli dresses me" and that's something I really don't have a problem with. I have a few more ideas up my sleeve, and I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to going over them with him.

But when I'm not helping Indy pay the mortgage:

Shoes: Tricker's (thanks, Matei!).
Shirts & Braces (suspenders): T. M. Lewin.
Ties & Cravats: Wherever one happens to catch my eye.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
For knockoffs, I go to J. Press, Ralph Lauren, and Brooks Bros.
J. Presshas some nice bowties (which I haven't had the chance to buy yet).
Ralph has pretty decent vintage looking stuff all around.
Brooks Bros. has nice handkerchiefs and repp ties.
In New York, I like stepping into Bergdorf Goodman, despite never being able to afford anything more than a paperclip there.

For vintage, I still dig the eBay. Hopefully I'll be able to stop into Aardvark's next time I'm in LA....

I like getting my outdoors clothing from Cabela's, it all has been well made and lasted a long time so far.

I like to get ties at the "3 Day Suit Broker."

My last suit, the green one in my avatar is from Roger Stuart Clothes on Los Angeles Street. in the garment district, there were a number of men's store along the stretch that is the garment district from LA. I'd like to go and visit more of them.

I keep looking at some of the suits from the Magnoli Clothiers site and hope that the budget will allow a purchase soon.

I kinda like this suit but would choose another color:
http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/product_detail.asp?ProductCode=ZS101
MAybe the silver on silver pinstripe?

BegintheBeguine

Put it on my charge plate

I would go to all the Salvation Army,Goodwill, Vietnam Veterans', Volunteers of America, and Value Village stores, and church and estate sales in the world if money were no object. I'd fill up carts at Wasteland, love that store. New stuff? I don't know. Don't like any new stuff anymore but when I did it was Lord and Taylor in Atlanta [huh]

max the cat

Familiar Face
shopping

sure Brooks, J Press, and the like would be nice but more economical and fun in the thrifts various /sundry Value Villages ( seemed like a better source in pre ebay days) salvation army etc-

max

Daisy Buchanan

Hmm, this is a tough question. It really depends on what I'm in need of.

For my modern clothes I stick with J Crew and Banana Republic. They both have beautiful, classic looking, tailored clothes that come in petites. For cute dresses I love Bloomingdales, Saks and Nordstrom. There is also a cute little store around here, that is now turning into a chain, called Jasmine Sola. They have more trendy clothes, but get in a lot of great dresses. I like Ann Taylor too, they make some great trousers.
I just bought a bunch of stuff at H&M, but they are more fun clothes.

My vintage clothes I buy mostly from Bobby of Boston, Cafe Society and Ebay. I buy a lot of Repro clothes from Stop Staring.

I really don't know of one store that I'd love to have a shopping spree at. Nowadays, at least around here, if you want something you can get it, and usually on sale. The higher end shops around here mostly carry clothes that I wouldn't buy anyway. Also, just about every store has a discount outlet.
If someone were to give me a bunch of money to go shopping, I'd probably end up at the stores I already shop at. Or, I'd go to this really magnificent tailor and have my outfits custom made.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
dress trousers and oxford shirts - Brooks Brothers

bowties - J Press

ties - Barneys esp. Drakes or Robert Godley

suits/shirts - Duncan Quinn

shoes - Ferragamo mostly though a pair of Edward Greens on the way

Vintage - ebay

drownman

New in Town
Shirts - I like a brand called Stenströms, very nice quality. But recently I've tried a site called Tailor shirts (www.tailorshirts.com). I ordered 1 shirt as a test. I was happy with the results, but had to alter a few measurements for the next one. I'm just about to order a third.

Suits, jackets, trousers - Vintage shops, second hand, or the beloved Ebay. I do have some chinos made by Pace that I like alot. Oh! I ordered a suit from our Indy Magnoli yesterday!! If all goes well, I'll have it before x-mas!

Underwear - Resteröds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points