Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first hat

Clever Trevor

New in Town
As a little boy in the 70´s i wear the hat of my grandfather to play Cowboy :)
Then in the end of the 80´s the first hat which i buy was a scout hat like this:
pfadfinderhut.jpg

And the second hat was ma Akubra Cattleman buying 1992. I wear it until today
CAM00598.jpg
[/QUO

Clever Trevor

New in Town

My first Fedora is a Battersby ' Fairway' that I bought off ebay . I wore it today at Calderstones park in Liverpool , whilst attending a symposium called ' Spirits in Place ' , which was dedicated to the Calderstones ( Neolithic standing stones ) which are stored in a greenhouse near the mansion. The park also has a 1,000 year old Oak tree , known as the Allerton Oak .I have a photo taken in the greenhouse - if only I could include it from my IPad.
It's the Avatar photo .

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My first fedora, actually my first few, were yard sale woolies I got around 2013. They are all long gone. My first fur felt was a beat to heck Knox stingy, also long gone. Being a DIYer, I did experiment a lot with the Knox and a few other beat up fur felts found at thrift stores before they went away.
I am not sure, but I think this modern production Borsalino also found at a thrift store is the one I have had the longest.

f3bf28de5178d6b262c845c6f11ae3b7.jpg

I guess this was my first hat, inspired by my desire, at age 4, to be a cowboy like those guys on TV. Here I am with my grandmother and my sister at my grandparent's apartment in Oslo, Norway, 1963. I actually still have this hat floating around somewhere in the basement.

View attachment 47427

This is such a great look into the past! Sorry I missed it until today; I'm a slow reader. Great hat, setting and the faces are happy, even your mug, despite the bored boy look! Thanks for the peek, Knotten, and thanks for the follow up. Just GREAT!!

This just surfaced from a college crony of mine. The first hat I ever bought for myself, a "Big Apple" from "The King Size Company," ca. 1969. Even as a teen, my dome was a challenge to fit.

This photo from a dorm party in Boston in 1975 shows a lot of what was happening at the time, albeit a bit fuzzy (as was the time...). Close examination shows my Duncan Imperial in my left hand, (a secret skill I had) and my bottle of "Zeller Schwartz Katz" Rhineland wine in Arnie's hand. Ah, the good ol' days...

imagejpeg_0a.jpg

This just surfaced from a college crony of mine. The first hat I ever bought for myself, a "Big Apple" from "The King Size Company," ca. 1969. Even as a teen, my dome was a challenge to fit.

This photo from a dorm party in Boston in 1975 shows a lot of what was happening at the time, albeit a bit fuzzy (as was the time...). Close examination shows my Duncan Imperial in my left hand, (a secret skill I had) and my bottle of "Zeller Schwartz Katz" Rhineland wine in Arnie's hand. Ah, the good ol' days...

Charlie, I'm sure you can still walk the dog with the best of 'em!

EstherWeis

Vendor
I love it Charlie.

I got inspired to go and look for what I remember to be the first hat I ever bought myself.
Albeit, there's not a lot you can see.

I think I was 15 or 16 in this picture. Too much make up, super dark hair and black and white photo's in the woods? Funny, I know.
Looking back I kinda get why my father grumbled :)

The hat was bright red and sort of bowler like.

1f73832b360e1f2dab56342188aa499e.jpg

Last edited:
I love it Charlie.

I got inspired to go and look for what I remember to be the first hat I ever bought myself.

I think I was 15 or 16 in this picture. Too much make up, super dark hair and black and white photo's in the woods? Funny, I know.

As I said, Esther... ah, the good ol' days!! Now that I've seen both sides of the argument, (two daughters of my own) I COMPLETELY agree with your pop. Hmmmm.... And here, on the Lounge, there's a whole committee of Dads watching over you!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I love it Charlie.

No hat required.

EstherWeis

Vendor
As I said, Esther... ah, the good ol' days!! Now that I've seen both sides of the argument, (two daughters of my own) I COMPLETELY agree with your pop. Hmmmm.... And here, on the Lounge, there's a whole committee of Dads watching over you!!

I always thought he was being overprotective but I do look a lot older looking back now.

Haha, I'll tell him that.
There's 5 of us, he blames us for his baldness all the time.

My first hat is long gone. I was 15, (1965) working in the carnival and the pimps and gamblers were the sharp dressers. I bought a black stingy brim. It was likely a wool felt as I don't think I paid that much for it. When I wore it I felt older and at least a smidge more sophisticated than my 15 years when I played cards and donated my earnings to those that knew what the hell they were doing.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
My first fedora, actually my first few, were yard sale woolies I got around 2013.
Thank you for your confession. :)

Thirty years ago I was working as a waiter where the policy was everyone had to wear a hat, kind of like the "flair" thing in Office Space. I started with a hard hat and moved on to a straw western then added a light brown/yellow floppy fedora. Those two are lost to who knows where.

Fast forward, this year I decided to join the world of hat wearing. My first two are cotton twill, one from Duluth Trading and the other from Bass Pro.
upload_2016-10-8_18-46-1.png
upload_2016-10-8_18-49-31.png

I consider these my "training hats", just checking if I like wearing hats and the social reactions.

Now, while I'm waiting for my first real hat, i.e. a fur felt fedora from Batsake's (Gus Miller) (see below for felt/ribbon), I am considering ordering a felt semi-western from Duluth Trading. We don't all start with a rack of vintage Borsalinos.
upload_2016-10-8_18-59-0.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto