Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your FIRST Vintage Clothing Item?

matt_tatt

New in Town
Your FIRST Vintage Clothing Item

What was your first item of vintage clothing?

MacMurray Gab Jacket with flap pockets.

-- When did you get it?

-- Did you buy it, inherit it, find it, or was it given to you?

Bought from a market in London UK, for 6 bucks!!!

-- Did you end up wearing it in public?

Yes. Every day (I was fifteen at the time)

-- Do you still have it? If so, do you still wear it?

No. Sadly gone - fell to bits.

Marc Chevalier said:
-- What was your first item of vintage clothing?

-- When did you get it?

Old black and white spectators, 1940s-ish.

7 years ago.

Inherited from my great grandfather.

Exact same size as me, and already broken in - wear 'em all the time!

Yes. Supra. lol

Spiffy

A-List Customer
A wool serge green men's overcoat made by the Robert Lawrence Company. It was my dad's when he was in the Marines in the early 70's. He lent it to me in High School for a class project, and I never gave it back. It's wicked warm and I use it for film projects all the time.

Smuterella

One Too Many
gosh, I started at about 12 when I found all my mothers old seventies classics in the cupboard, never stopped since

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
When I was 5 years old I was given an old letter carrier's hat, so old it immediately fell apart. I was so sad when I was told it couldn't be mended and I would just have to wait for another one "someday."
letter_carrier_1940.jpg

Someday, of course, never came.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
-- What was your first item of vintage clothing?
A Grey Stetson Fedora.

-- When did you get it?
1974- I was a Freshman in high school.

It was given to me by my Grandfather.

I wore it in public for at least 15 years and loved it dearly!

Unfortunately I no longer have the hat, but it certainly lead to my present day infatuation with lids.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
My first vintage clothing item was my Joseph and Fiess suit from the 30's (unless hats count).

I got the suit about half a year ago. The hat is a Stetson from the fifties, I've had it about four years.

I bought both on EBay.

Do I wear them in public? The hat yes, the suit no. The trousers are to short and I won't change them, so I don't wear the suit in public (my other suit is from the 20's and the trousers are to long and I will not change them:p ).

I still have both. And it(the infatuation) just got BIGGER and BIGGER and -- well, it's just terrible!

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
When I was 5 years old I was given an old letter carrier's hat, so old it immediately fell apart. I was so sad when I was told it couldn't be mended and I would just have to wait for another one "someday."
letter_carrier_1940.jpg

Someday, of course, never came.

Correction, Someday hasn't come yet. One should never loose hope about these things!:)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
the first vintage clothing item i bought was sometime early in high school, and hell if i know what it was! the first non-polyester vintage clothing item(s) i bought were purchased the same day - a pair of deadstock late 40s dungarees ($20, gosh i miss 1997!) and a teal angora 50s sweater. i still have the dungarees, not sure what happened to the sweater.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Being as old as I am, my first vintage clothing must have been some of the cloth I was forced to wear as a child.
Luckily nothing has been saved:)
L1010132.jpg

The hat came from my uncle. (that - and the teddybear was the only things I liked)
The itching sweater was propably handknitted by some aunt and the tweed trouser with suspenders...:eusa_doh: Give me a break!

Edward

Bartender
uhm..... as a ten year old in 1984, I did have what was probably a 1960s fur felt trilby in a deep brown colour. My first Indiana Jones hat - I don't know where it went; I do seem to remember the last time I saw it it was near white as a result of having been napped on by a much adored (and much missed - RIP, old boy) family cat. Next was probably several pairs of brown leather gloves (which I still have and still wear) that had belonged to my paternal grandfather. I also have, though I've not worn for years (must change that) a wide-lapelled leather blazer that my mother bought for my dad - she paid £50 in 1975, which must have been a hell of a lot of money back then. I wore it a fair bit out while I was at Uni, though I've always looked after it. Not worn it for about ten years now, but it's still in pristine condition in my wardrobe. Very Gene Hunt. ;) I also have a leather trenchcoat I bought in Camden market back in 1999 for the princely sum of £30. I have come to suspect in recent years that it is much older than I originally realised - maybe 50s, 40s? I think probably horse, heavy brown moleskin lining. Beautiful coat. I wear that one a lot. Short of the Burberry I acquired last Autumn, it's the best thing I've ever owned for rain wear.

Otherwise, I still have a few bits and pieces of military items that I used to collect but have never worn - including a WW2 RAF officer's greatcoat, which was owned by a Captain Dobbs who flew with the Dam Busters.

Warbaby

One Too Many
The first piece of vintage clothing that actually I bought - as opposed to hand-me-downs from my father or grandfather - was an ankle-length black bearskin coat that I got at an estate auction in Pennsylvania in the mid-1960s. It was from around the turn of the century and cost me 8 bucks. Man, that coat was heavy. Must've weighed 30-40 pounds. It had a shawl collar that went to the top of my head when I turned it up and made me look like a character from an Edward Gorey drawing. People stared when I wore it, but it kept me warm on the coldest winter days for almost 20 years. Ultimately sold it to an antique dealer friend after I moved to San Franciso.

Jerekson

One Too Many
My aunt was always a total flea-market buff, so I'm sure that I acquired something or other during my childhood. but the first piece of vintage clothing that I actually got for myself was a 1950's Royal Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk