Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Girdle: Make and Model

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi girls,

Yet another girdle question. Well, two questions.

First: What make and model do you favor? Pros and Cons?

Second: I'm looking to purchase a 17 inch Custom Maid "21" girdle in a size 26, and I was wondering if anyone had a source that charges less than Girdlebound or GirdleZone ($72 at both sites). Ebay is having a dry spell in that size/style as of this morning.

Renee

Familiar Face
My current favorite girdle is the Rago Shapette 6209. This is a high-rise long leg panty girdle.

Pros: The higher rise prevents "girdle goosh" at the waist area. It also helps my posture. I prefer a panty-style girdle because I walk a lot and live in a third-floor apartment; the longer legs on this girdle are great because they never migrate. If you've ever had a panty girdle migrate up a butt cheek, you know this is neither comfortable or attractive, and all but impossible to fix discreetly. :)

Cons: The garters on the back of the thighs can be uncomfortable because they are so tightly compressed by the girdle. I've found that your skin does become less sensitive, so this hasn't been much of an issue with me. In addition, some may not find this girdle as attractive as others. I'm considering ordering a Rago high-rise Lacette, which is very similar to the Shapette but prettier.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
interestingly enough, last night I was looking at rago products since I just purchased an evening dress that will most certainly require one....they look great, and I've heard they're one of the best out there

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have several girdles, however I have been eyeing the Rago 9357 myself. As for prices, I think that is just what they cost these days. Any time I see something I really like on ebay the bidding goes into the hundreds anyway!

I guess that is because I like corset girdles with fan lacing...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that is one of the things that impressed me about rago...they seem very well made yet they have some very pretty undergarments

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have Rago 9057 and I'm pretty happy with it. It is comfortable and I haven't had any problems with "creepage." I think the prices that Girdlebound has are pretty fair considering what I've seen on other sites and on ebay. But if you find a cheaper source, please let us know! :)

Renee

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
that is one of the things that impressed me about rago...they seem very well made yet they have some very pretty undergarments

When I was first trying to find info on girdles, the only stuff I seemed to turn up in google searches involved crossdressers and transvestites. :eek: However, one thing that I noticed was they all said that Rago girdles were the best, so that's why I went with Rago. I can't compare it to any other brands, but am very impressed with it.

I think the Secrets in Lace website does a very nice job showing that support undergarments can still look attractive, yet not in a "fetishy" way.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Do a search for 'orchardcorset' on ebay. They're lovely to deal with - very friendly & open to random questions by phone before placing an order. (Oh yeah, good prices too!)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Renee said:
When I was first trying to find info on girdles, the only stuff I seemed to turn up in google searches involved crossdressers and transvestites. :eek:
I think the Secrets in Lace website does a very nice job showing that support undergarments can still look attractive, yet not in a "fetishy" way.
lol had the same experience! there was a thread about open bottom girdles, and so me, new at this and not knowing what in the world they were talking about ...googled.....big mistake.....lets just say there was nothing vintage about those girls :eusa_doh:
Rago seems to have a more functional look than secrets in lace....I guess between the two, what you put on depends on the evening ;) :D

JustJen

Familiar Face
I have several of the longer leg/high waisted Rago variety. These are great because they also have garter attachments. These provide quite good coverage, if you will, in that they shave off a couple of inches and smooth nicely. They hold up wonderfully and they're made in the US. You can't beat that. Just make sure you get one that has the, ahem, opening.....otherwise you'll be doing an interesting dance in the ladies' room each time you go.

I also own a couple of the Higher Power Spanx. These are by far my favorite. They have the right amount of coverage and they feel quite divine. It's like wearing a giant thicker pantyhose all over your torso. The only downside is that they don't last as long as my Rago's.

Jen

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have two Rago Shapettes -- an open bottom, and a long-leg high-waisted panty, and so far as currently-made foundations are concerned, they're tops. My only problem with them is that I'll sometimes get a blister on my thighs from the garters on the long-leg model, depending on how active i've been. I think this is because the garter clips are metal, because I've never had this problem with plastic clips. But all in all, you can't go wrong with a Rago.

I've also got a couple of long-leg PG's from Sears -- these aren't as structured as the Ragos, but they're very comfortable for days when I've got a lot of housework to do and need to be able to be flexible.

Vintage-wise, I've had hit or miss experiences -- sometimes the elastic degrades and you end up with a garment that slips and slides and doesnt do the job. But I do have a really nice Bien Jolie zip-up open-bottom, circa 1950, that's the most supportive foundation I've ever worn. I'm currently dealing with a bad case of sciatica, and when things get really painful, the Bien Jolie makes a really effective brace.

Lizzie from Maine

Etienne

A-List Customer
I've never ventured in to check, but does anyone know if Fredericks of Hollywood carries any of the ones mentioned in this forum or are all of their things mostly for show only?

Renee

Familiar Face
JustJen said:
I
I also own a couple of the Higher Power Spanx. These are by far my favorite. They have the right amount of coverage and they feel quite divine. It's like wearing a giant thicker pantyhose all over your torso. The only downside is that they don't last as long as my Rago's.

I own several Spanx, also. I love them, but I agree that they don't last nearly as long as my Ragos. I've had the waistband tear away on almost every Spanx I've owned. But I don't feel nearly as self-conscious wearing my Spanx as I do my Ragos. The Spanx certainly "disappear" under clothes better.

For some reason, though, my husband seems to find my Ragos more attractive. I think it's because they have garters. :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frederick's carries some very heavy-duty foundations! Their waist cinchers and girdles are definitely sturdy and not just for show. Not all of them anyway.

I am very surprised no one has mentioned WhatKatieDid.com:
http://www.whatkatiedid.com/

Their site is great. Prices are the usual but LOVELY items!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I like Rago's Corselette (the 9357) and their open bottom girdle as well; I bought both through Girdlebound and I've always been pleased with their customer service. Both are firm, but comfortable, and since I had them dyed--one powder blue, the other pink—they are quite fashionable, too.

Vintage-wise, I am a big fan of the knit girdles that were popular in the 1930s-40s. Boy, do they ever do the job! My favorite is a light pink open-bottom with a satin panel and a side-zip; it no longer has a label. Very easy to pull on, and very comfortable as well.

The only issue that I have had with vintage girdles is when a garter button becomes dry and pops off. I had that happen just the other day with a mid-50s sheer nylon girdle that I was wearing—luckily, it was the end of the day, so it didn’t matter anymore!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jitterbugdoll said:
The only issue that I have had with vintage girdles is when a garter button becomes dry and pops off. I had that happen just the other day with a mid-50s sheer nylon girdle that I was wearing—luckily, it was the end of the day, so it didn’t matter anymore!

Yes! That same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with a nice old peach-colored Rengo girdle that I'd had for years and years -- the button just crumbled and fell apart. Does anyone know any tricks for replacing the button part?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You really can't repair them--I've tried gluing them back on, and buttons just don't stick! I’ve found that on the whole, vintage girdles and garter belts used wider tabs then modern girdles, so you can't even get away with merely replacing the rubber/fabric tab portion, leaving the metal clip. You basically need to replace the whole garter tab and clip, but luckily, these can be found at fabric stores and online, as well as eBay.

magneto

Practically Family
Re: vintage girdles

Alas I am too poor to have any proper modern foundations, but for those not objecting to vintage, I am inordinately fond of the (50s?) Gossard "Answer-Deb" girdle I got recently: the elastic/stretch feels snappy as new, and it has a feature I will require on all future girdle purchases: a high, wide waistband (so no muffintop) that is boned (the rest is not boned) so it stays up and doesn't start rolling down the instant you start moving around. This is a stunning piece of indestructibility (and with 6 garters! Take that, you migrating stocking seams!). I don't think they're still in business though, from what I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points