Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your local stations

grundie

One of the Regulars
There's a nation radio station in Ireland called Lyric FM that plays a lot of early 20th century music, without going past the 1950s.

It also play a lot of classic music and music from other eras including oddities such as medieval music and religious chants.

It would be Ireland's equivalent to BBC Radio 3.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
AIUI, Radio 3 cut way back on its vintage music too, as part of being more "responsive" to its audience. And they don't even sell ad time! :eusa_doh:

We can beeotch all we like of course, but the fact about radio today is that it's become a utility medium. Radio today mostly exists to be heard but not listened to - not to lead people's tastes or help them discover new stuff.
Let alone old stuff. At least not from the Great Emptiness of 1850-1950. But that's me beeotching.

grundie

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
AIUI, Radio 3 cut way back on its vintage music too, as part of being more "responsive" to its audience. And they don't even sell ad time! :eusa_doh:

We can beeotch all we like of course, but the fact about radio today is that it's become a utility medium. Radio today mostly exists to be heard but not listened to - not to lead people's tastes or help them discover new stuff.
Let alone old stuff. At least not from the Great Emptiness of 1850-1950. But that's me beeotching.

I totally agree.

Radio today is all about selling ad time. There are some gems out there, Lyric FM is still a quality station in my opinion, but most exist to sell adverts aimed at their demographic.

I was listening to Radio 3 online a few months ago and they were doing a piece on a performance group that played music on instruments made from fruit and veg. At that point I realised just how glad I was to not be living in the UK and paying the licence fee any more.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe the only station in IA that plays 30's-40's is a single NPR manifestation @ 101.7 FM. Unfortunately, it's based out of the University of Norther Iowa, which comes in a little foggy some days. :(

Johnny Flatfoot

New in Town
Cleveland radio

Rainsfan89 said:
Around the Cleveland area, there's a station that plays 30s and 40s music. 91.5 WKHR. /http://www.wkhr.org It's a rather weak station however, so one's best bet for listening to it is to listen online.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out. If you can hear it in Medina I'm sure I could get it in Lorain. Remember when AM 850 played the old stuff before it reformatted to sports talk?

phantom dancer

A-List Customer
Sydney radio

In Sydney, there's my own show the Phantom dancer which plays swing & jazz from 1920s-60s radio & TV

It's Australia's longest-running swing show, on the air continuously over 107.3 2SER-FM Sydney and live-streamed over 2ser.com since 1985. It picked up the best Music Show Award in the 2007 Australian Community Radio Awards (out of 180+ stations)

The Phantom Dancer is heard every Tuesday 12noon - 1:30pm (AEST) (+10GMT) and from Sat 4 Sept will be repeated every saturday 6 - 7:30pm

I post the show's weekly highlights and video of the week on the radio thread here at Fedora Lounge

Cheers

Greg Poppleton
The Phantom Dancer

silverscreen789

New in Town
In NC...Country, country and country. Aside from that lots of hip hop.

We used to have an oldies stations that played 60's music, but unfortunately that changed over to hip hop. :(

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Not for many years now...unless one of the many Hispanic stations I get are playing oldies!
I listen to oldies on iTunes radio, when I get a good signal or maybe the satellite dish Big Band/Swing channel or malt shop oldies...there use to be a 40's channel and they would have the 'news of the day' for 194___ but someone saw fit to 'improve' the choices and it's no longer available :(

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I will add that your computer has to have a Flashplayer program to play/stream the music/Data if you don't have flashplayer already installed you can download it for free online as well firefox has it as a add on on there website. The Oldies Lives On!.
CC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch