Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most hideous vintage tie.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here's your opportunity to display the most wretched, disgusting, heinous, and/or repulsive to look at tie in your collection. :)
I stopped at a local thrift shop as I was passing by today,(of course) and I think I found a most heinous tie. Possibly the most heinous non-wearable tie ever.
I bought it because it is vintage, (1930s?) and as such a rather rare find in these parts.
So here goes,...try and top this.
Notice the awful red-orange background cleverly juxtaposed with the oddly colored blue-gray and orange horse heads. :eek:

hideoustie002.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's a close up of one of the surreal horse heads. Truly heinous.
hideoustie.jpg
[/IMG]
All I want to know is,...who designed this?,...and just what exactly were they trying to convey with their art?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My taste is impeccable. I don't have one. lol

Seriously though, there was a time when I used to buy any 1940's tie simply because of its vintage, but that was some time ago. I'm a lot more critcial (discerning?) and careful with my dough these days!

That horse tie is pretty rancid, Major!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
"Eek, those eyes!" is right Vintage Betty!

(rubs her hands together in anticipation) This should be a really good thread!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Apparently, Satan also has time to design a fashion line of ties. Just look at those eyes! lol

Vintage Betty
Leaving the background color to represent the eyes was a stroke of artistic genius! Maybe this was an early surrealist tie, designed by someone like Max Ernst?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
All I want to know is,...who designed this?,...and just what exactly were they trying to convey with their art?

Maybe the designer had visions of some Damon Runyonesque character going to try to talk Big Eddie out of collecting the 20 large he's owed from a lousy bet the guy with the tie made at the racetrack. The poor sap designer is thinkin' that maybe the demonic horses on his tie will prove intimidating to Big Eddie.

He'd be wrong, of course.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Quite a few rotten ties have come through my collection. I mostly gave them away when i sold suits! lol lol

I only buy ties from thrift/charity stores, so they're so cheap that if it's pre-1955 vintage, i buy it!

bk
I just automatically buy them if they are old and unlined. Unless they are completely trashed. Vintage ties are a rare commodity in these parts.
I could very well be in possession of the only extant example of this hideous tie! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana