Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Opinions on this ribbon...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say to leave the old one, even with the stain, or get a new one like it.

The other ribbons are okay, but I like the original better.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
It depends on what you're going for. They both look good, but the striped one is more fun; the dark brown one, more serious.

The lovely lady summed up my thinking exactly. The stripe will give you a little flash and the brown will make a more staid impression. My taste is towards the solid brown but I think you should wear whichever suits your style.

I am a big fan of OR's in their original condition. However, I understand why you would want to change it, especially if you're going to wear the hat for other than outside work, etc. I like the striped ribbon because it's different and adds a little spice to the hat. You could make yourself, or have someone make ribbons that you could interchange without too much trouble, and still leave a thin ribbon on it, just have Graham put on a new one, and tack it up to the hat, so it doesn't show underneath the changeable ones.

EggHead

Practically Family
While I like the brown ribbon more because it's gives a better looking contrast and a simpler design (I think simple is beautiful), the striped ribbon would be good if the white part wouldn't be so white - it creates too much contrast in a short span of space.

Fedoration

New in Town
I prefer the solid dark brown one. I like it for the dark vs. light contrast it provides without being overpowering.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Some great points...

I really appreciate everyone's ideas here. Some really great comments. I'll let everyone know where I go with this, but one thing I have firmly decided.... I am not going to remove the old ribbon. I think I'll put the new treatment right over the original. I've looked it over and the old ribbon does not make the new treatment look bumpy or bad. I just don't want to lose the original look. This way I could still just take the new treatment off and still have the original look in tact.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
I really appreciate everyone's ideas here. Some really great comments. I'll let everyone know where I go with this, but one thing I have firmly decided.... I am not going to remove the old ribbon. I think I'll put the new treatment right over the original. I've looked it over and the old ribbon does not make the new treatment look bumpy or bad. I just don't want to lose the original look. This way I could still just take the new treatment off and still have the original look in tact.

Why not just remove the old ribbon and save it? It isn't welded on, a couple of snips and it is off.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Update..

Well, the whole project is on hold because even my wife and I are disagreeing on what to do with it! LOL

Thanks everyone for the honest opinions and the great ideas.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Box Ribbon?

Made a super quick mock up of a box ribbon in dark brown for the tan Open Road. How would something like this look? (Note it is not attached, just tacked on with a pin to get an idea what it might look like)

ribbontest_box.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Looks a bit too busy to me. I'm into simple ribbon treatments... maybe just 1 or 2 boxes...

Agree. But also agree with Rusty (mind you I'm not a fan of thin ribbons) but an open road should be left the way it is. It's such a classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ