Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well I was on a vodka gimlet kick for a time at home I used Finlandia Crannberry yummy
As for Scotch I like the McClealands their Lowlands is like mist with a hint of peet and I just picked up thier Spey side nice has a hint of sea salt

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll echo that I was unable to find it in various book searches for less than $100.

As for the ratio, in the "standard" version, I see the sugar as being helpful, as the lemon juice is a bit much. I'll try your suggested ratio next.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
I like warm drinks. Any recommendations?

LD

Since I've moved here to Portland, I've come to understand the Spanish coffee phenomenon and I have to say, it's a tasty, decent drink. Also, the Hot Toddy is a favorite of mine.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
"Cuban coffee" is also where it's at.

If I get coffee, it's usually a caff?© mocha.

Jovan, how is Cuban different?

Lady Day: Spanish coffee is with rum & coffee liquor and there's a whole show that goes along with making it. If you nudge him, I bet Moustache will post a photo of one being made at Huber's, if he hasn't already. It's a tasty, warm drink.

Jovan

Suspended
beaucaillou said:
Jovan, how is Cuban different?

Lady Day: Spanish coffee is with rum & coffee liquor and there's a whole show that goes along with making it. If you nudge him, I bet Moustache will post a photo of one being made at Huber's, if he hasn't already. It's a tasty, warm drink.
I put it in quotes, because Cuban coffee at its base is just a shot of espresso and sugar whisked together until there's a froth at the top. Then it can be mixed with steamed milk. I can't remember the specifics of why it's Cuban, it's been since last September that I worked at a coffee place.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Definitely influenced by the weather

In the cooler months, I go with martinis up (gin or vodka, for variety) or Makers Mark with branch water. My wife grows mint in her garden so that I can have mint juleps and mojitos as my evening restoratives in the warmer months, of course I generally take a gin or vodka tonic once a week to fight off the malaria. You can never be too careful with your health.

For those who mentioned Sazeracs:
The Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans (used to be the Roosevelt) served a really wonderful Sazerac made with rye, in the appropriately named Sazerac Bar. They had these wonderful 19th century silver racing trophies the size of fire hydrants from the New Orleans fairgrounds as decorations, and the walls were glass with art deco style paintings of people from tha jazz age. The Fairmont Copr. has not reopened the hotel since it flooded during Katrina. I know the bar was looted, but I do not know the status of the trophies or the painted glass in the bar.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
MAGNAVERDE said:
Anyway, I'd never had a Sidecar before, and they were so good & so deceptively, wickedly smooth--and, too, so numerous, far more numerous in fact than they would have been had I been drinking my usual martinis--that by the end of the last set, I'm afraid the whole table was wasted. I can only hope that I was as discreet under the circumstances as William Powell would have been. But I doubt it.

Yes...the Sidecar. One of my favorites! Funny you should mention William Powell, I asked for my first Sidecar at my club after seeing him get hammered on them with Ginger Rogers in a wonderful little film called "Star of Midnight."

Can someone post the original reciepe for the Sidecar from 1934?

WH1

Practically Family
well I can now say I have had and enjoyed a sidecar. Senator Jack is a "bad" influence.:rolleyes: They were quite good, no sugar rimming, 2 parts courvoisier, 1 part cointreau, 1 part fresh lemon juice, shaken with crushed ice, garnished with lemon peel. quite good!

czack

One of the Regulars
Hooray for beer

Y'all are way too fancy for me, my two choices are bottles or draft.:beer:

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
As of tonight...

My favorite drink is a Gin Rickey. Full days supply of Vitamin C in every drink!!! Okay, maybe not, but they're still mighty tasty.

Bottoms up,

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk