Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Thoughts on This Chair

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My aunt passed away last year and had lived in her parents' house, using their furniture.

They were not rich. There was not alot of vintage stuff except (maybe) this chair and a matching couch.

Can anyone give me thoughts and opinions on it? It is a strange looking green/blue color. I am not even sure how old it is. It seems in good shape though.

Thanks!!!!
Photo_071907_001.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Gorgeous chair! It's from the 1930s or 40s. Those type of chairs/furniture sets with the carved wood insets were popular in the 30s/40s, but I can't decide if it was made in the 30s or 40s. It has very deco moderne 30s lines to it, but I think the color is more 1940s. What do you folks think?

If you have the couch, hang on to them both - don't break up the set. Matched sets in good condition are hard to come by. I rarely see sets with good apolostery on them, it tends to get really worn/dirty over the years. And from the picture, the chair looks to be in great shape.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Definitely 30s or 40s and I love the color of the upholstery. Looks like the perfect spot to curl up with the new Harry Potter and a cup of tea.

Please consider this response a second request for a picture of the couch too.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hang onto them. I can't quite say why for certain, but something tells me that isn't your run-of-the-mill set. I'd flip them all around and look for manufacturer's tags or marks (which also might help with dating). Rich original buyers or not, they may still be a rather unique item in 2007.
I'd say 1930's. The color is unusual; one often sees deep shades of red, navy or brown/beige. But they may very well have been reupholstered at some point.
We're looking for that sort of set for our house.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Great chair! I agree with everyone about it being 1930s/40s. This is the epitome of an overstuffed chair. I too would like to see a photo of the matching couch.
-Chris

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments! The house did not have much vintage in it - meaning stuff that we would care about....How about a old furance? Nahhh.

My dad is remodeling the house to rent it out and wants to leave the furniture. I'm going to try to talk him out of that and store it at my house. Most renters would probably not give the pieces the care they deserve.

I'll grab a snap of the couch when I'm there on Wed.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
They are from the 1940s and are referred to Down Under as 'club chairs'. They are thought of as being Art Deco but really belong to Art Moderne in the Streamline era of the 1940s.

I have a set myself which we I bought when we first got married. Mt wife is tired of them but not me. Very strong manafacture. They do not bring much now on eBay because they require about 30metres of cloth to upholster a 3 set and that is like AUD3000/USD2800.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Art Moderne

Art Moderne is sort of the neglected kid brother of Deco. It has a much simpler aesthetic, and is more exemplified in the mid 40's. My parents had nice Moderne stuff when they set up their home in 1947, sadly it's all gone. Hang on to that chair!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for all of the great comments. It has convinced me (and reluctantly - my wife) to keep the pieces.

See this thread "New Pics of Chair, Couch, plus more finds" for better pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk