Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your TOP Bogart movie..?

What is your favourite Bogart movie...?

• CASABLANCA

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • MALTESE FALCON

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • AFRICAN QUEEN

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • BIG SLEEP

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • KEY LARGO

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • High Sierra

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • SAHARA

• TOKYO JOE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Caine Mutiny

• Total voters

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm making my way through some Bogie DvD's. Watched Casablanca; Key Largo; The Big Sleep; Maltese Falcon and now The African Queen.

Which one is your favourite Bogie movie, and what makes you choose THAT ONE...?;)

Feraud

Bartender
I can never pick just one..

I voted Maltese Falcon from your list but have to recommend
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, In A Lonely Place, Sahara, and The Caine Mutiny as favorites.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
You don't even have my favorites on the list! lol

My favorites tend to be movies like The Caine Mutiny, The Treasure of the Sierra Madras and The Desperate Hours. I like when he's not playing his typical noir roles (as good as they are) and you can really see the depth and skill of his acting.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh, that’s a tough one—Bogart was in so many great films.

I’ve not yet seen In a Lonely Place, Beat the Devil, The Barefoot Contessa, Brother Orchid or The Caine Mutiny but I’ve heard he’s excellent in those (and they are on my Netflix queue).

That said, my list in order would be:

Casablanca—What else can be said about this one? Wonderful script, cast, direction, cinematography and on and on. I love it that Bogart gets to show such a range too--he's cynical, idealistic, romantic, funny, loyal, etc. Plus, I’m a dyed in the wool romantic and I think this is just about the most romantic film ever made. I've seen it a million times and it's still fresh as a daisy.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre—Bogart’s disintegration is so compelling

The Maltese Falcon—See Casablanca--except for the bit about the romance! (Although Mary Astor is great)

The Big Sleep—The story makes no sense but the atmosphere and the actors make up for it and it has Dorothy Malone in one of the best bit parts ever

The African Queen—Bogart’s completely charming in this one

The second tier

Stand In—One of my favorite lesser known films but I don't really consider it a Bogart film, thus the lower rating here. Leslie Howard is wonderful in this one.

Key Largo—I really love this one for Edward G. Robinson and Claire Trevor more than Bogart but it makes the list

The Roaring Twenties—Bogart and Cagney; how can you go wrong?

High Sierra—I have fond memories of this one but I haven’t seen it in a million years.

After you hear some of our answers please share yours too!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I’ve not yet seen In a Lonely Place, Beat the Devil, The Barefoot Contessa, Brother Orchid or The Caine Mutiny but I’ve heard he’s excellent in those

You'll like Brother Orchid. TCM plays it from time to time. I think this movie is more memorable because of Edward G. Robinson though. He's another actor remembered mostly for his gangster/noir roles, but he could really do it all.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip BeBopBaby, I'll try to catch Brother Orchid sooner rather than later.

Robinson is one of those actors that makes me sit up in my seat whenever I see him in the credits--he's always good no matter what the quality of the film is like. I agree, he's really underrated.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
It seems as of this posting that I'm the only vote cast for "The Big Sleep"? My second choice on the list is "The Maltese Falcon" which is just perfect in every way. I picked Sleep simply because of all of the humor and all of those great scenes of Bogie and Bacall. The plot makes no sense,but who cares,it's got great characters,laughs,and some of the most wicked (for the time and still) sexual innuendos. The bookstore scene with Dorothy Malone really sizzles. Add in a script by William Faulkner,Leigh Brackett,and Jules Furthman. And last,but never least; Directed by Howard Hawks. A knockout!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
My favorite Bogey film is In a Lonely Place. My second favorite is The Treasure of Sierra Madre. I selected Casablanca, because it is a great movie, I don't consider it a Bogey movie. Heck, the star of Casablanca was Claude Rains, in my eyes.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Sefton said:
It seems as of this posting that I'm the only vote cast for "The Big Sleep"? My second choice on the list is "The Maltese Falcon" which is just perfect in every way.

You're not annoyed by the inaccuracies? Eg. 'a Webley Forsby 8 shot 45'?

Alan

Nick Charles

Practically Family
WebleyFosbery1914Target.jpg
the gun in question, but not 8 shots

Jay

Practically Family
The Big Sleep is definitely my fav. Bogie wears hats, drinks, smokes and beats people up. And looks elegant while doing so. Something about this movie just makes it better than that one about the statue. Probably cause I seen the first half of the movie, then read the book on my train trip to LA. After I returned home went straight to Borders and bought the DVD. Maybe it's my weak spot for detective movies. That and Bogies awesome lines.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I can't vote but...

My favorite Bogart movie is " The Petrified Forest" (1936 Warner Brtothers.)
He plays a vicious killer name Duke Mantee, it has value for me in the sense that it was perhaps Bogart 's first big hit, and he was good in it! Bette Davis is also in it. :)

Of course I love all the Bogart staples but no one has mentioned All Through the Night. I thought Bogie was great in this one as a gambler turned amateur sleuth when the baker of his favorite cheesecake is murdered!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Midnight Palace said:
Of course I love all the Bogart staples but no one has mentioned All Through the Night. I thought Bogie was great in this one as a gambler turned amateur sleuth when the baker of his favorite cheesecake is murdered!

All Through The Night is a fun movie, I liked Bogart in that one, and Stand In.

I always liked Bogart in his lighter roles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko