Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your TOP Bogart movie..?

What is your favourite Bogart movie...?

• CASABLANCA

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • MALTESE FALCON

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • AFRICAN QUEEN

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • BIG SLEEP

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • KEY LARGO

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • High Sierra

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • SAHARA

• TOKYO JOE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Caine Mutiny

• Total voters

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I chose The Maltese Falcon. I think Desperate Hours has some of his best acting. Caine Mutiny is great because just about everyone plays against type and the ending is killer diller.
All the ones you listed are great. Everyone brought up good points about others of his films. Thank Your Lucky Stars has a fun cameo of Bogart spoofing himself.

Sincerely,
The Maltese Wolf

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Casablanca for all the obvious, usual reasons. How could you compare Hugh Grant and Whoever to Boggie and Bacall with out laughing?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Midnight Palace said:
Of course I love all the Bogart staples but no one has mentioned All Through the Night. I thought Bogie was great in this one as a gambler turned amateur sleuth when the baker of his favorite cheesecake is murdered!

I recall that movie being ridiculous. Is that with the underground nazi spy headquarters at the end?

I have never seen (and have always wanted to see) Petrified Forest.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
All Through The Night is a fun movie, I liked Bogart in that one, and Stand In.

I always liked Bogart in his lighter roles.

Stand In is one of my top favorites too. Leslie Howard and Bogart should have been in more movies together(only in two I think, Stand In)and Petrified Forrest).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have learned 3 things here...

1. That I'm a pure novice compared to many of you out there when it comes to Bogart films and my 'must see' list is just growing now as I read all these great threads :)

2. My 'poll' in hindsight is just a 'wee bit' newby'ish and restrictive [huh] But in my enthusiasm (and limited knowledge now) from watching all these Bogie movies I felt I had to throw this one up!

3. The glass of drink in this bar is always half full, never half empty, and so...learning about all the other movies out there is a major bonus from this post!! thankyou one and all..:eusa_clap

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
From the list, the Maltese Falcon, because when I'm slapped I'll take it and like it.

I also enjoyed his comedies. A couple of favorites not on the list: Sabrina (I really enjoyed Bogie as Linus), and We're No Angels.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
My favorite is 1947's Dead Reckoning, an often overlooked Film Noir with Bogart and Lizabeth Scott. Second place would be 1950s' In a Lonely Place, already discussed in a thread of it's own.

However, from the list provided I'd have to go with The Big Sleep.

I have to admit, when I watched The Big Sleep for the first time, I thought something was wrong with me because I couldn't follow the plot lol I hadn't gotten up for anything so I knew that I didn't miss any parts of the film. I just sat there confused. It seemed like characters were coming in from all directions with no explanation. It wasn't until I watched it a second time that I realized the film was more revered for its acting and personalities, rather than for its plot. I've seen the most renown critics admit that the movie itself was confusing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Of the 5 listed, I voted for African Queen, but I agree, there are too many other great ones. I really like Treasure of Sierra Madre, but I was just reminded how great Caine MUtiny was. And now I have several others to add to my must-see list.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit, when I watched The Big Sleep for the first time, I thought something was wrong with me because I couldn't follow the plot lol I hadn't gotten up for anything so I knew that I didn't miss any parts of the film. I just sat there confused. It seemed like characters were coming in from all directions with no explanation. It wasn't until I watched it a second time that I realized the film was more revered for its acting and personalities, rather than for its plot. I've seen the most renown critics admit that the movie itself was confusing.
Much as I like Sleep and the novel it's based on, neither one is that solidly plotted. The story goes that when Hawks & Co. were filming Big Sleep, they were confused about who had murdered a minor character. Unable to figure it out, or to puzzle it out from the novel, they went to see Chandler.

He couldn't figure it out either -- or had forgotten in the six or so years since he'd written the novel. So even the creator of Philip Marlowe and the other characters was lost!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
While Casablanca is a better movie, and Ingrid Bergman my favorite actress of the era (and I think one of the most beautiful women of all time...), I find myself watching The Big Sleep more than the others. The plot is too convoluted to follow, but something about the grity and sordid story and characters and the lovely Martha Vickers calls to me...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I voted for Casablanca on the list, but I like "To have and have not" the best. The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Treasure, The Caine Mutiny, and Dark Passage have better acting, but watching Bogie and Bacall actually fall in love (To have...) made the movie better.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points