Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your vintage Achilles heel

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Shangas said:
My height. And if my parents are to be believed, my waist. But I've always been a very thin person. Even now I don't consider myself "overweight". Not even 'chubby'. They do. But mum and dad have panick-attacks over five pounds.

Aww, I'm sorry :( Parents can be like that at times...granted mine are both on the larger side and quite to blame for my weight. And height, but I don't mind that so much. I'm 5'8" and quite ok with looking men in the eyes.[huh]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Mine has got to be my hair. Its extremely heavy, and stubbornly straight. Curling it is alright, but getting it to stay in - that's another matter. It's also thinning quite a bit lately from dye damage, making Victory Rolls a feat.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wide feet are the bane of fashion in general, not just vintage fashion.

I have 8W, would kill for a regular-width 6.

I would dearly love one of those teeny vintage waist measurments, but without the girdle!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:
Aww, I'm sorry :( Parents can be like that at times...granted mine are both on the larger side and quite to blame for my weight. And height, but I don't mind that so much. I'm 5'8" and quite ok with looking men in the eyes.[huh]

I'm not very tall at all. About 160-something centimeters. Or in the "old language", 5'6". My weight isn't an issue, REALLY. But I always consider my height to be an issue. Sometimes I wish I was taller.

But then I think of commercial airplanes, and start reconsidering...

Shangas, a couple inches--just one or two--wouldn't be too bad from your position I'd think; on my best (well, worst for situation, but best height-wise; I'm 5'4", and one of the warning signs for when I'm starting to get dangerously hacked-off is I actually gain two inches* of height) days I top out where you are, and if I was allowed to change one thing and it had to be in "the meat" only, it'd be increasing my height to better scale with my overbuilt frame-size. Being able to look someone, say, Miss Caity Lynn's height, in the eye isn't too much to ask, is it?!lol
*Yes, this is measured inches

OTOH, sometimes being sawed-off does have a few advantages...
----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Miracle Of The Ark
via FoxyTunes

Elaina said:
DB, the last man I dated was of your height and he rather enjoyed the fact in my shoes I was 5'10.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with taller women--have a weakness for y'all actually--just that my combination of huge frame-size plus compact overall size aside from a full 36" beam elbow-to-elbow makes it a little, shall we say, "complicated" should it become necessary that I do the job I was bred for. Kinda difficult to act as "cover" if you're smaller than the person you're "meatshielding" for, right? :eek: lol (Besides, it's rather difficult to be romantic and sweep a gal off her feet if her center-of-gravity's higher than mine, especially with below-normal upper-body strength... but at least the latter I can address on the weight-pile.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I sometimes muse on what it would be like to be taller BUT I cannot complain my 5'0" is anything but terribly historically accurate. lol

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Shangas said:
I'm not very tall at all. About 160-something centimeters. Or in the "old language", 5'6". My weight isn't an issue, REALLY. But I always consider my height to be an issue. Sometimes I wish I was taller.

But then I think of commercial airplanes, and start reconsidering...

Heres something to make you feel better, the average American woman (not sure where you are, and what it is there, but...) is 5'3". So that makes you above average :) whereas it makes me a giant :p Average American male is 5'9":rolleyes:

klind65

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
Heres something to make you feel better, the average American woman (not sure where you are, and what it is there, but...) is 5'3". So that makes you above average :) whereas it makes me a giant :p Average American male is 5'9":rolleyes:
I used to feel less than ecstatic about my height ( 5'4") until I began watching the old pictures and really falling in love with the past. I realized that Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood, Mary Pickford, Joan Crawford, Claudette Colbert, Linda Darnell,Thelma Todd, Dolores Del Rio, Joan Fontaine, Ginger Rogers, Lana Turner .....there were so many...were all my height. . So, now, I love my height and wouldn't ever want to be taller. It was simply a matter of aligning my tastes with an erstwhile beauty standard rather than with the present one. That wasn't hard for me as I eschew the current era anyway and am quite content living in the past in every way! :)

klind65

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Mine has got to be my hair. Its extremely heavy, and stubbornly straight. Curling it is alright, but getting it to stay in - that's another matter. It's also thinning quite a bit lately from dye damage, making Victory Rolls a feat.
I sympathize. My hair is naturally straight and fine - yet I have a lot of it. Maybe its like yours. Do you use a curling iron and hair spray? This is what I have been doing lately. I have had luck with permanent waves too.

I also had colored my hair. I had bleach on my hair for many years and recently let my natural color grow back. Like you, I did think my hair felt thinner but I don't know if this is due to losing hair , rather I think the color adds texture which can be mistaken for volume.... at least I hope that's what it is! I have addressed this situation by using a volumizing shampoo which I think helps.:)

Edward

Bartender
My Achilles' heels would be....

i] hair (or more specifically lack thereof). That said, there were bald people back in the day, in particular military men who shaved their heads. Not so common, but at least it did exist.

ii] figure - I am battling with weight issues around the middle, which leads to sizing problems! Hopefully this will be overcome soon, though, as it appears to be both a symptom of health issues and a side affect of the treatment. :rolleyes:

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Since my character is perfect in every way, I'll take a 26" waist, please.

Hey, if they're handing out 26" waists I'll take one too. lol

By the way does anyone have any suggestions on the best exercises for reducing your waist and abdomen area? Unfortunately I'm at that age where you get the middle age spread.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicknNora said:
Hey, if they're handing out 26" waists I'll take one too. lol

By the way does anyone have any suggestions on the best exercises for reducing your waist and abdomen area? Unfortunately I'm at that age where you get the middle age spread.

Try planks....your core muscles are continuously challenged, your posture is better and less chance of back aches.

plank-on-elbows.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:

I'm surprised to hear that. I thought the average height was now around my height (5'6"). I've always liked my height. When I got married I was 5'6" and 110 lbs. (bean pole).lol After my first child I was 120 lbs. (better) and after my second child I was 130 pounds (better still). I then moved to 140 lbs and that's when I thought I looked the best. Now I've gained 10 lbs. and need to get rid of it. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto