Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your (vintage) Room

poetman

A-List Customer
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where everyone can show off their room. I think rooms tell about a person's character. What's your favorite room in your house or apartment? Which room is most vintage? Bedroom, living area, library? For the students, is your dorm vintage? Or maybe your place is not vintage at all? Show us your favorite room--vintage or not.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This is my study.

I do commercial artwork and caricatures.

I also jam to music and read and visit The Fedora Lounge in this room. :)

Vintage photos of ancestors on wall:

DSC_0001.jpg

Great Grandmother's old horsehair chair with my leather jacket and a Borsalino obscuring it:

DSC_0004.jpg

Some hats, a great old file cabinet and misc. other vintage tidbits:

DSC_0003.jpg

Some gear next to an old curio table:

DSC_0005.jpg

I've got to get some up-to-date pix of this room including other areas...

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I kinda have a "lady cave"

It all started with the massive stress of a bathroom remodel. Contractors in and out all day and night, dust everywhere, raw wood. I couldn't take any more house history, so we made a room that had nothing to do with turn of the century vernacular architecture in New England. It used to be one of those rooms that just holds a lot of junk. It's not quite done yet, but thankfully, the bathroom is!

011-1.jpg

The wood door is hidden behind the bamboo
012.jpg

Stripping the paint off this was not fun.
014-2.jpg

Elwood loves the fact that these are technically "dog" beds
013-1.jpg

The great thing about this room is that we just put beach mats up to cover the walls, so if need be, we can bring it back to "normal", but why on earth would we want to do that?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Rachael said:
wow, that is some impressive hardware! what are the origins of the daggers?

DSC_0001.jpg

The top one is a Khukri (AKA Gurkha Khukri). These were fighting knives carried by the elite Gurkha warriors of Nepal. They were made famous due to the ferocity with which Gurkhas used these weapons when at one time they fought British colonial forces to a stalemate and later were conscripted by the Empire to fight alongside her majesty's men. Over time, there have been many, many of this style blade produced as sovenirs. Mine, however, seems to be authentic since it has the additional compartments for the smaller blades and even has a small pouch tucked inside that is obviously for some field use. Also, the blade of the main weapon is some amazing steel. I sharpened it years ago and it will still shave as easily as a straight razor. I found this on Wikipedia:

"Kukri sheaths are usually made of wood with a goatskin covering. The leatherwork is usually done by a sarki. Traditionally, the scabbard also holds two smaller tools called the karda and the chakmak. The karda is a small accessory blade used for many tasks. The chakmak is unsharpened and is used to burnish the blade. It can also be used to start a fire with flint. Attached to older style scabbards there is sometimes a pouch for carrying flint or dry tinder."

The next one is a Chinese court sword. A ceremonial double-edged piece which is unsharpened. The crumbling covering on the wood scabbard is tortoise shell. I've seen some of these in antique sales over the years. Mine is in pretty bad shape, but I like it.

The spear head is most likely Zulu. If there are nay experts here on such matters who can correct me on any of this, feel free.

The bottom dagger appears to be 19th century Moroccan. I believe this piece is either a ceremonial or decorative weapon - or it may have been a tourist sale item. It seems old but not as authentic somehow as the other pieces.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
My Vintage Room

This is my bedroom in my apartment. The walls are painted red in a sponge pattern. I own a 1920s Vintage Burl Wood Vanity which was about $600. Here you can see my cat looking in the mirror which he often does since he's in love with himself. I have a Art Deco Vanity lamp that has a shell design in milk frost glass with lion feet. I had another one but one fell over and broke! :( I also have a vintage circa 1950s Jewelry box in black with lock and key. Other things like Art Deco Celluloid pink picture frames and Art Deco chrome powder box. Above the vanity are some smaller art deco style drawings I did and George Barbier Prints (1882-1932) in the silver frames. I also have 3 more prints to frame but haven't had a chance too. Other things around the room I have are a few drawings I made and Rudolph Valentino and Myrna Loy picture b/w pictures. Also a wood wall shelf with 1920s style dolls and hats.

room1-1.jpg

room4.jpg

room2-1.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
houseandart014.jpg

100_3247.jpg

100_3235.jpg

The back parlor, a confortable room with an easy chair, the radio at my right hand, and the Victrola at my left, with good light and plenty of books. Who could ask for more?

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
The spear head is most likely Zulu. If there are nay experts here on such matters who can correct me on any of this, feel free.

Not having seen it up close, I can't really judge it well, so why do you say it's likely Zulu? The assegai's I've seen are longer bladed than that seems to be (or is this a pre-assegai Zulu spearhead?).

tuppence

Practically Family
deco_darling said:
This is my bedroom in my apartment. The walls are painted red in a sponge pattern. I own a 1920s Vintage Burl Wood Vanity which was about $600. Here you can see my cat looking in the mirror which he often does since he's in love with himself. I have a Art Deco Vanity lamp that has a shell design in milk frost glass with lion feet. I had another one but one fell over and broke! :( I also have a vintage circa 1950s Jewelry box in black with lock and key. Other things like Art Deco Celluloid pink picture frames and Art Deco chrome powder box. Above the vanity are some smaller art deco style drawings I did and George Barbier Prints (1882-1932) in the silver frames. I also have 3 more prints to frame but haven't had a chance too. Other things around the room I have are a few drawings I made and Rudolph Valentino and Myrna Loy picture b/w pictures. Also a wood wall shelf with 1920s style dolls and hats.

room1-1.jpg

room4.jpg

room2-1.jpg

Oh so very beautiful Darling.
Have you got a pic of the dolls on the shelf and your drawings ?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
vitanola said:
houseandart014.jpg

100_3247.jpg

100_3235.jpg

The back parlor, a confortable room with an easy chair, the radio at my right hand, and the Victrola at my left, with good light and plenty of books. Who could ask for more?

LOVE this room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112