Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
I was sitting at North Station, wearing my trench coat and fedora, waiting for my train. With nothing else to do but wait, I tipped back and was reading a book.

After a few minutes I hear the titter of laughter. I look up and an 18 year old and his girlfriend are now sitting across from me. The 18 year old is wearing one of those sewn together ersatz stingy brims that looks like it was made from the seat covers of a recalled 1970's Pontiac.

The 18 year old it tipped back, mocking me by assuming the same position. The girlfriend, who thinks Mr. Pimples is brilliant, is laughing (hence the tittering).

After a few minutes the 18 year old yells over, “cool hat, what style is that?” Without looking up I call back, “Its a snap brim fedora.”

The 18 year old then asks “what style would you call mine?” indicating the recycled seat cover.

I yell back, “unfortunate.”

I was sitting at North Station, wearing my trench coat and fedora, waiting for my train. With nothing else to do but wait, I tipped back and was reading a book.

After a few minutes I hear the titter of laughter. I look up and an 18 year old and his girlfriend are now sitting across from me. The 18 year old is wearing one of those sewn together ersatz stingy brims that looks like it was made from the seat covers of a recalled 1970's Pontiac.

The 18 year old it tipped back, mocking me by assuming the same position. The girlfriend, who thinks Mr. Pimples is brilliant, is laughing (hence the tittering).

After a few minutes the 18 year old yells over, “cool hat, what style is that?” Without looking up I call back, “Its a snap brim fedora.”

The 18 year old then asks “what style would you call mine?” indicating the recycled seat cover.

I yell back, “unfortunate.”
and you survived
remember it is still youth thats kicks a butt, and one does not want to dirty the hat------------------- the hat never touches the ground, then its on--------but yes there is no friggin style in the youth of today , ungodly , no manners, and complete lack of morals and respect---------

Lorne

One of the Regulars
The days when I brawled in public are long over, but the day when I become harmless is not yet here.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Trust me as a guy who teaches 18 year old kids everyday...they don't all act like that. Just shrug it off. I have dealt with multiple people trying to tease me about my hats....guess it just doesn't bother me anymore.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
but yes there is no friggin style in the youth of today , ungodly , no manners, and complete lack of morals and respect---------

A very well established fact, indeed! That very comment has at least been in use by so many generations - and it's probably just as hot a subject among older people in 300 years. Perhaps we should remember, that our parents generation said the exact same thing about you, me and all our friends. Do we ever wonder if they were right - or do we lack the self-insight, morals and/or respect to do so?

Instead of turning young people away with prejudice, you really should meet some and get to know them. The far majority of them are actually a lot better than their reputation among us old woodenheads. Try to show them some respect. Most of them deserve it just as much as you and I ;)

i am still working on the mindset, i was a brawling fool, but i am getting older, 52 and my strength is getting weaker, also my mindset is not about being a tough guy or thinking i was- but still people just have to cross the line , some people are just plain punks --i am getting older but getting tired of being the one who turns away , i have been good for 20+ years hopefully i can remain content, anyway just a vent to the thread

Just remember...the oxen are slow, but the earth is patient.
have no idea what this means, but it sounds like it has some value Persistence and patience are virtures to be admired
me i am more on the biblical side of things
He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

he who does not take advice is a fool so thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Lorne, I have visited your fair city often and I may have seen you at North Station once or twice as the only other one wearing a fur-felt fedora. I suspect the young fellow may have secretly envied your choice of headwear, but wanting to impress his girfriend was a bit disrespectful. At any rate, he at least wears a hat, so maybe this encounter will influence him to get something nicer.

Lorne, I have visited your fair city often and I may have seen you at North Station once or twice as the only other one wearing a fur-felt fedora. I suspect the young fellow may have secretly envied your choice of headwear, but wanting to impress his girfriend was a bit disrespectful. At any rate, he at least wears a hat, so maybe this encounter will influence him to get something nicer.
well said, it just may be as you said well said

job

One Too Many
This youth would disagree about being ungodly, disrespectful, and lacking in manners.

17c23e23-2422-4af1-abc8-fd8f75943587_zps73fdf4c6.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My general experience with today's youth is that one-on-one they're pretty cool but when in groups they can exhibit erratic behavior. When I encounter such groups I identify the alpha dog and stare him/her down in an effort to separate them from the group. Once we're one-on-one, they usually chill and the group follows suit. I've been employing this tactic since my own youth, with great success. The trick is in identifying the alpha dog as they are often not the loudest or most aggressive member of the group.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Kids are like the rest of us, all types and persuasions. Usually when you separate them from their peers the become "real people".

Edward

Bartender
but yes there is no friggin style in the youth of today , ungodly , no manners, and complete lack of morals and respect---------

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates, 469-399BC. Now that's vintage thinking! lol

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates, 469-399BC. Now that's vintage thinking! lol

I remember reading a piece that was written on similar lines. The interesting part is that it was written in 1934 and the "decadent youth" the author was railing against grew up to be The Greatest Generation of a decade later.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
In north station I see young men in uniform all the time, many with ribbons and awards on their chests I only saw on Senior Officers and NCO's in my day.

This generation is doing just fine.

Mock stingy-brim wearing urchins not included...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk